Psx Emu For Pandora

1) I doubt talking about how to rip a disc to an ISO is banned, seeing as you have to have the disc to rip it. Piracy (ie: illegal sharing) is discouraged here, but tinkering is encouraged.
2) Didn't someone write a replacement BIOS for the PSX yet? I know at least a couple have been done, but perhaps are part of closed emus. Dang :/

jeff

skeezix said:
2) Didn't someone write a replacement BIOS for the PSX yet? I know at least a couple have been done, but perhaps are part of closed emus. Dang :/

jeff

HLE BIOS implementations. They're not BIOS replacements, they're emulator specific implementations in native code. Consequently this means that there's no alternative you can plug into an emulator externally or use in a real PS1. .. not that you'd really want to try to replace a ROM on a PS1, especially if it's part of another die.. Don't get me wrong, there could be a replacement BIOS, I just don't know of any.

PS1's BIOS has a lot of functionality that makes it a pain to copy or even HLE. Obviously Bleem and VGS had legal motivation to do so. I know that some other emulators, including PCSX (which psx4all is derived from) have HLE BIOS implementations, but I doubt they're very complete. Still, could at least provide partial compatibility. I don't think it's very thoroughly documented/reverse engineered.. probably the majority of notes out there are in Japanese. If anything it's not documented to the extent the (relatively small) GBA and DS BIOSes are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on how the psx4all emulator is going?

Has the sync with the sound and video been fixed?

How's the GPU plugin coming along?

Very interested as I can see 85% of my time with the Panda will be spent playing PSX games :)

joshwaan2k said:
Any news on how the psx4all emulator is going?

Has the sync with the sound and video been fixed?

How's the GPU plugin coming along?

Very interested as I can see 85% of my time with the Panda will be spent playing PSX games :)

same, I have about 20gig worth of games I plan on playing through, should probably take me the good part of half a year :p so it would be great if the emu is 100% done, what i'm worried about is, will it have a proper frontend/menu this time around? the one that was in the GP2X's version was awful to say the least.

edit: will it be possible to run games through a shortcut in PMenu? that way we wouldn't really need a menu we could just link all our ISO's in PMenu and sort them accordingly or whatever.

second exodous said:
quartercast said:
Why would you post that and not have anything to post 'on topic'?

Awww, that's not very nice dear. I hope you get over it soon.

I would also like to know the status on the Emu and if the GPU is being fully utilized aswell :)

I can't wait to hit these games again! Also, short cutting through pmenu is a great idea.
Maybe pmenu can have a PSX icon, and all games can be listed in there? (same with the rest.. SMD, SNES etc)

Has anyone relased a compatability page?
Or at least tested anything other than Final Fantasy 7 and such?
I would like to see a higher end game running (Not saying FF7 is bad!).
Something like a survival horror or highly graphical Gran Turismo 2??

Hey Mate,
I probably wouldn't be talking about creating ISO's or anything. Does not seem to be wise in this forum.
I've already been told that :)

But yes, imgBurn is great! :D

#1 GameMaster said:
To make an ISO your best bet would be to use ImgBurn.

Works for me. ;)

My personal favorite is Alcohol 120% (52% should work the same). I've had no problems with PSX or PS2 games using it. ISO Recorder Power Toy is pretty good and is (sorta/kinda) recommended by Microsoft. Nero works decent, too.

Edit:
kingoddball said:
Hey Mate,
I probably wouldn't be talking about creating ISO's or anything. Does not seem to be wise in this forum.
I've already been told that :)

But yes, imgBurn is great! :D

I don't see why we shouldn't. Space(Format) shifting is generally considered fair use as long as you can prove that you own the product. There's also plenty of other reasons that you would want to make an ISO from a CD.

Yesterday after reading thhis thread I dug up all my old psx games and tried converting them to ISO's or Binaries to play them w/o CD on the ePSXe emu until I'll have my Panda. All worked fine, except for the games that contained audio tracks like wipeout 3. After some tinkering I found CloneCD (21 day trial should be enough to convert my discs ;) ) and that seems to copy the whole thing quite nicely. ePSXe recognizes .CCD files and plays the images with CD audio.
Does anyone know if the CloneCD images work with the pandora psx emu too? And if not, how do I make ISO's or other images that will work?

I'm not saying anyone should not talk and discuss ISO's and the rest, I was just told its not wise. Head to the 1st and 2nd page to see text.

Anyhow, if you are running OSX, just goto spotlight, open disk utility and file, create iso/image.
I hav just tried on Resident Evil 2 and it failed both disks.. It may not work after all :(

Eight Bit said:
All worked fine, except for the games that contained audio tracks like wipeout 3.
The term for that cd audio is "red book" audio. Maybe there's a specific option to toggle on in your non-trial software.

I've been making BIN/TOC rips using cdrdao on Linux, myself. It's simple enough;

Code:
cdrdao copy --keepimage

The rips all work fine, though I don't know if psx4pandora will support TOC files right away (they're analgous to CUE, and will be handy for games that use redbook audio :p).

Back