Psx Rom Format

rum runner said:
i got a good question wheres the best place to find psx roms
The only legal place to find commercial PSX roms is in your CD shelf (ie, games that you already own which you then rip yourself)
And even that is questionable depending on the country you live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If support for MagicISO's uif compressed iso's format could be supported it'd save a helluva lot of precious SDHC space

^ PocketIso's .z/.znx files are supported, and should save a significant amount of space.

TitanUranus said:
If support for MagicISO's uif compressed iso's format could be supported it'd save a helluva lot of precious SDHC space
While supporting more formats is pretty much always a good thing, why do you need proprietary formats just to compress a disc image?
How about just .bin.gz or a .zip file with the .bin/cue inside?

EDIT: Also reply to:
Defo said:
^ PocketIso's .z/.znx files are supported, and should save a significant amount of space.

Aninhumer said:
While supporting more formats is pretty much always a good thing, why do you need proprietary formats just to compress a disc image?
How about just .bin.gz or a .zip file with the .bin/cue inside?
You probably want something that allows random access within the compressed file, which those formats don't really do. I think bz2 with a low block size could work, but you'd have to scan through the file to index the blocks.

Edit: Actually, xz would work much better.

i'm sure i once asked the question and was told the emulator was going to be tweaked to not just accept the bin and ccd files but also eboot format (the really condensed format used on PSP's) - as a result a while back i converted my old psx games to that format and found a shed load more via google

Elwing said:
Mr B said:
Funny, i would expect the only rom's to be present in a PSX emulator is the BIOS. The CD's on the other hand, are just that.

hum, CD-Rom? :lol:
While this might be news to some, the Playstation discs are licensed under the CompactDisc standard, and aren't "CD-rom"'s. Grab a disc, and check for your self. Just coz comon speach says one thing doesn't make it so... One implementation of the Compact Disc standard is indeed the cd-rom, but so is cd-r, and rw, and i hope you don't think either is read only? Playstation disc's are neither tho, they are just licensed as Compact Disc's.
B!

Back