A quick PSX question for clever people.

BorderReiver

Still Fresh
Hello Everyone

I'm new around her, and am very excited about the Pandora, as I know alot of other people are too. From what I've seen so far of emulation in particular this wee handheld looks phenomenal, so very well done to all concerned.

However something struck me today, and I thought I'd ask (though it may be a very silly and obvious question).

It seems that, in some ways, the Pandora is better at being a PSX than an actual PSX is, shifting games along at a farhigher frame-rate than on the original format.

Now, permit me to ask a very newbie question.

One of the games I was most looking forward too way back when the PSX was the console was Formula One 2000, however I was deeply dissapointed with the PSX version which, whenever more than a few cars were on screen, rapidly degenerated into an unplayable slideshow.

So, what I'm asking is this, would running F1 2000 on Pandora aleviate that problem? Would it make a previously unplayable game playable? If so, it might be that a side effect of the Pandora is the re-evaluation of some titles that may have been ahead of the available hardware at the time.

Thanks very much for your patience.

The answer depends of course on the requirements, and how fast the emulator can be made to run, but in theory, the answer needs to be yes.
Unless they game was coded extremely badly, that trowing any amount of hardware at it, will still result in a bad running game...

Take FF7 as a example. It was doing 60fps at 500 or 600mhz, and 100fps at 900mhz. And that was with no L2 cache enabled from the comment of others. It will of course depend on how much the emulator can be optimized, how badly the games performance is, etc...

If the framerate of this Game actually decreases on the original console and Pandora can do twice the speed emulationwise, there is a good chance, that the game will run faster than on the real console, because the Framelimiter in an emulator will keep the Framerate as close to the standart of the console as it can.

Edit: oh, have to type faster ^_^

Edit: Maybe you could try it on a PC to ensure.

since it's emulating the playstation, it technically won't be any faster at the laggy parts, but you can turn up the overall speed, if psx4pandora has that feature

Symphony Of The Night has FPS slowdown during the 'blue-Max HP-bottle-appearing-after-boss-battle' animation on my PS1, PS2, and PS2 Slimline, however, on epsxe, PSP, and the Slimline PS2 (occasionally) the animation will run at full speed.

Just thought I'd mention. :)

Isn't one of the points of pride of some emulators that they, like the original system, glitch or lag in the same areas and the same ways that the original console would, because that means they have near perfect emulation?

Maybe when you emulate the exact cpu-speed, but almost every emulator has an option not to limit the output framerate

for the said F1 game i dont know, but you can try it out on any psx emulator on windows
and it will tell you, you need to turn off frame limiter within the emulator and run the game
you will then see the game run much faster but not all games are the same ,some games
are writen with a frame limiter writen into the game so the slowdown stays even tho menus might run faster.

you can try this with different games on the psx emulator but i actuly think psx games
all run without fps limits anyway ,unlike the sega dreamcast 70% of games have an
inbuilt framelimiter so when you for instance overclock the actual console you dont get
any kind of speed increse,quake3 dreamcast doesnt have frame limiter but sega bass
fishing does.

psx games might be the same as this tho i think the f1 game will run faster and should
eliminate (some) of the slowdown with framelimit turned of.

i just realised something tho - you can overclock and you can have emulation
without framlimitation - overclocking if the emulator has the ability can get rid
of the slowdown provided the game you overclock isnt capped to run at a certain speed.
running a slow game with framelimiter off can speed the game up but when you get
to the part of the game with slowdown - it will still slowdown but there are other
types of frame limiting that keep the game running at say 60fps - if theres a drop
in the frames by the game,the limiter can push/force to 60fps,i have seen this with
zsnes - gradius 3 ,game has really bad slowdown in the pal version of the game
and not sure about ntsc verson but the limiter keeps the pal version running smooth
when auto is turned off and constant 60fps option is turned on.

Back