PSX roms for GP32

Lexcom

Still Fresh
;) ;) hi, I have one ask to you

I have read what here, the GP32 is too weak for 3D graphic although N-gage runs with (tomb raider1). (N fee) has also weaker hardware. has psx 33.4 Mhz processor/8 Mb SP. :huh: :huh:

sorry i#m come from germany
and i speak bad english

!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) postet auf deusch wen ihr könnt!!!!!!!!!!!

The GP32 does not have 3D hardware and so a 3d engine has to be emulated which takes up alot of power.....it is highly unlikely that a Playstation emulator could ever be developed.

pcsx could be ported like any other emulator i think, but it wont be playable fast. only for showing off. u know wat i mean just showing the pslogo etc...

I think he is asking if the gp32 can do 3d games, the answer is yes it can easily do 3d games, Doom is running in 99% pc code fine, i also believe Quake could run full speed if someone converted the floating points to 32bit ints. In fact i might look at quake at some point and see what i can do with getting it above the current 3 - 6fps.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

If you were to work on Quake you would become a legend in the GP32 community. And just think how many more people would buy a GP32 if it had Doom AND Quake. ;)

craigix posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
I think he is asking if the gp32 can do 3d games, the answer is yes it can easily do 3d games, Doom is running in 99% pc code fine, i also believe Quake could run full speed if someone converted the floating points to 32bit ints. In fact i might look at quake at some point and see what i can do with getting it above the current 3 - 6fps.

-Craig

www.gbax.com
A great answer to a studpid thread ;)
Quake would be really great!

Last edited by a moderator:
crazeeplaya posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
If you were to work on Quake you would become a legend in the GP32 community. And just think how many more people would buy a GP32 if it had Doom AND Quake. ;)
but does anyone actually like playing Quake? it is so bloody dull!

Doom is much better, and better still are Rise of the Triads, Duke Nukem 3D, or Blood.

and yes this thread is stupid, but not as stupid as Lexcom's poll that's on the same sodding subject!

also does N-Gage have any 3D hardware? or is it just a highly optimized commercial software engine?

Doom is the most simplified version of 3D graphics, though. It uses 2D sprites that always point towards the player, and a billboarding effect for the backgrounds (which are textured and scaled).

"Real" 3D is comprised of models with multiple textured polygons and terrain matricies. If someone could find a way to do this on the Gamepark 32, without slowing it down to the point of stopping it, I would be very impressed.

Lol....generalnmx knows so little about 3D engines, it's hard to know where to start.

Doom uses what is called a Raycasting engine. The levels are defined by vectors, which is why it is often called 2.5D. Each enclosed vector shape is called a sector and can have an independant height value. As for the "billboard" remark and the scaling stuff, that's WAY off. I speak from experience, having worked with the BUILD engine for several years.

As for ""Real" 3D is comprised of models with multiple textured polygons and terrain matricies. ", wow that's incomprehensible. You seem to have a basic conception of what true 3D is, but no knowledge of the math behind it with which to articulate this basic, vague understanding that you have.

What you doubtless are trying to say is that polygonal worlds are comprised of three dimensional geometry comprised of "polygons", filled triangles generated algebraically by a system of linear inequalities. This is truly 3D because every vertex has three values for position and the entire level can be rotated around the player and such, wheras a raycasting engine forbids such things due to the way the levels are rendered. You could never turn a racyasted level on it's side, for instance, whereas you could do just about anything like that to a polygonal world.

Confusing, yes, but "the more you know" and all that. :p

I was trying to explain 3D in a brief manner that everyone would understand. However, I thank you for clarifying the portions of my statement which I left unexplained on purpose. I believe that this post was not the place to go into such verbosity, but now at least we have two versions of the same story.

LOL calm down ppl. I read in a PC Mag that the N-Gage runs between 2-3 fps. So... kinda impossible to get psx running.

In response to Lexcom's original question:

3-D is possible.

Giro (by Frank Lankes):

GIRO.png

5 Day Crap (I can't draw but I can fly) By Mithris:

15daycrap.png

Tunnel Game 3-D Tech Demo (by SDW):

tunnel.png

BTW, these were created for the 15-day coding competition a little while ago.
http://15days.gp32emu.com/
They are just early demos, but imagine if someone continued on to make one of these into a game (which I hope will happen)!

i'm pretty sure that only the flat shaded example is actually 3D. The other two are very clever bitmap manipulations. See Rambozos correct (if Rude) reply. If you want to know what our little GP can do (natively), just look at machines with an ARM core, and it could probably match or exceed a lot of 'em (N-gage, early ACORN RISC, GBA etc).

Incidently, the Acorn RISC machines had a Integer version of quake available- but iv'e had no luck finding the source. Craig, have yo had a look at the new pocket quake? rumour has it they've concerted all the floats.

Twimfy posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
The GP32 does not have 3D hardware and so a 3d engine has to be emulated which takes up alot of power.....it is highly unlikely that a Playstation emulator could ever be developed.
COuld the 2d PSX games that do not need 3d hardware be emulated? e.g. Capcom fighters, legend of Mana...

if halflife is a mod of quake, couldnt halflife be modded to quake? Even if you have to cut down graphics and sound.

Mofokubik posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
lol, isnt it using the quake engine?
Yes, but it has quite a few advancements as well. It's not just quake with new models and textures.

I don't expect Quake or any other true 3d games like it to be ported to the GP32 (at least not playably). You really have to have either a very fast CPU, or a specialized graphics processor to render & fill that many polygons in real time.

It doesn't break my heart. I was never much a fan of 1st-person-shooters anyway. For those that are, you already have Doom. I'm sure that 3rd party WAD compatibility will be implimented eventually, and maybe even full conversions. Just be patient, and you'll have all the FPS fun you can stand :)

Weeeellllllllllllll sorry for not being so technical. It doesnt matter. I dont like fps games on gp32 anyway, only on comp and console.

Nope, I don't agree. The GP is very similar to a pocket PC, and they have quake. In fact a version of quake in bulky C, with floating point (which the GP has to translate) runs on the GP at between 3 and 6fps. Once it's been optimised and all the floats converted, it'll run just fine. In fact if you look at some of the great 3D games on the (earlier) pocketPC or Acorn RISC machines (ARM powered), you'll see there is quite a lot of scope for 3D.

This looks pretty cool, and is already in ARM assembler- i'm surprised more people have'nt looked at porting ACORN risc stuff. Or even writting an emulator.

http://www.starfighter.acornarcade.com/

Back