Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

So...Could anyone tell me how Final Fantasy 7 is playing right now?
And what exactly does vsync mean?

Sonistar said:
@fairlady, underclock by holding in the analog stick and pressing volume down. i dunno what it does but it makes ff7 WAY faster

Thanks.

Just trying Raycrisis... will get back to Gradius Gaiden later...

Raycriris(?)
Have to turn interlacing off, otherwise the scanlines or flickering makes it hard to see; but still using progressive=1

vsync rate can reach about 30-34 ingame @10/15MHz, framerate was only 8-9 fps but playable...

Ridge Racer Type 4(PAL)
hw-scaling only.

vsync rate around 28-30, 4-5 fps, playable ingame

Gradius Gaiden (NTSC) again
interlacing=0, progressive=off.
After downclocking to 10 MHz speeded up to vsync around 40-42, framerate around 23-28ms (actual framerate is in the bracket? that's 5-8)

Initial D (It's quite old, not the one you've probably been playing on your PSP or game centres right now :lol:)
Not loading, just blank screen

Seems I'm a moron obsessed with 3D games? ;p
I just didn't test out Philosoma and R-Type Delta yet... will do it tonight (GMT+8)

EDIT: RR4, Gradius Gaiden, Initial D

Last edited by a moderator:
whys every 1 worrying about rpg's like final fantasy and stuff
we got games on other consoles for that
try some more action games out like gta, mgs etc
not everyone likes rpg's

Because, oh merciless slaughterer of grammar:

1) "gta, mgs etc"[sic] use more buttons than the GP2X has. As twitch games, the usual workarounds (Stick-push + L1 for L2, e.g.) are probably going to be only marginally successful.

2) Most 2D games are RPGs. With only 200mHz and about 40MB of RAM to work with, the more 3D, the worse it's going to be (I don't think we'll see Soul Reaver running anytime soon).

3) Most PSX-era RPGs are playable if they're slower than normal since they were turn based. They are likely to reach "playable" status first, barring compatibility issues. Sniping in MGS on FS2 would, to put it simply, blow goats.

4) RPGs are a more elegant game for a more civilized age. ;)

Thanks you all the PSX Great Team to make a good piece of software. :D :D :D :D :D

I have tested Super Robot Final. Gp2X CPU Clock overclock to
250Mhz and PSX underclock to 10Mhz. No Interlacing. Frame is around 10 fps. It is quite playable.

Chocobo Racing (in game):
Gp2x - 275 mhz
psx ~ 19.86 mhz
VSincRate ~ 28
Framerate ~ 8ms

Somewhat playable. Has graphical glitches in menu, but looks mostly fine ingame.

-----------

Final Fantasy IX
Gp2x - 275 mhz
psx - any

crashes shortly after the Squaresoft intro label.

-----------

Ehrgeiz (in game)
Gp2x - 275 mhz
psx - 27.8 mhz
VSincRate ~ 12
FrameRate ~ 10ms

Too slow, of course it is an extremely intesive game anyway.

FF7-Pal

GP2X-266mhz
Vsinc~30
Framerate~25
Works fine until i try to select new game, then crashes. Maybe a problem with pal versions? Would try more pal games but my 512sandisk sd died rather randomly.

FF7-Pal

GP2X-266mhz
Vsinc~30
Framerate~25
Works fine until i try to select new game, then crashes. Maybe a problem with pal versions? Would try more pal games but my 512sandisk sd died rather randomly.
Weird my Pal version of FF7 works fine, apart from a few graphical errors here and their

More games..
These are all PAL

Final Fantasy 9
Loaded but freezed with black screen, same happens with epsxe probably a scratched disk or something :(

I've got a new game tested. FFIX is really not easy to rip. I used all programms, ripped to dat, bin-cue and iso without any running rip (neither on epsxe nor on psx4gp2x) scratches are not the reason! ;)

Driver PAL

cpu at 275 Mhz
VSync ca 30
Fps ca 5

no hardwarescaling
progressive off
interlacing 0

the game runs not really faster in interlace 1 mode

perfect grafik, no glitches, looks nice

is it possible to make a frameskip??
a lot of games would be playable.

I guess im the first who tried road rash, it runs quite good :)

29-32 fps ingame, standard settings overclocked to 270mhz.

you guys should definitly try it, road rash rocks!! B)

A few more... they're all marked being from the Europe divisions. So I guess they should be PAL versions? :eek:

Again, OC to 250MHz, interlacing=0,progressive=off

R-Type Delta
Menu screen fonts are missing.
At plane selection screen R-9 was able to render correctly, but the others couldn't - along with the base itself.

At the beginning of the gameplay the robot was rendering correctly, but not the buildings, the robot's thrust, the plane, enemies and shots - all like mosaic

Wipeout (Not 2097, I guess it's the oldest version resembling the DOS version...)
vsync rate around 23, fps 5ms.
Quite smooth, surprisingly - even smoother than Gradius Gaiden ;) . Bracket shows (135,5)

I wish I could try Einhander and Thunder Force V too, just they couldn't rip...

Just tried worms armageddon and it is running at 18 fps ingame pretty playable!!!! (VsincRate is matching the fps and my gp2x is overclocked at 280mhz) this is all at default psx clockspeed, if i turn it down it gets slower.
In order to get this to work i had to enable Read Sub-Channel Data from current disc when burning to the harddrive and then transfer the .img and .sub files.

Just sitting listening to the Test Match with my lunch, and it got me thinking, has anyone tested Brian Lara Cricket?

mmmaaaannn.. playing tactics ogre on my gp2x?! it runs at about 20 apparently, lowest, with vsincrate at 24, at 266mhz. might have fiddled with the psx clock speed a bit too ^^;;. i'm not a proper beta tester, so i'm not sure what information to include... but this is awesome!

one thing though, not sure if this is normal but it seems really "blocky" and pixellated. sorry if this is a noobish thing to say - i haven't been very in touch with the gp2x community lately! ^^;;

lastly, you can download tactics ogre (a reduced version at ~70mb) from Home of the Underdogs. it's not illegal, it's abandonware.. i won't link to it though in case a mod gets angry.

lastly, you can download tactics ogre (a reduced version at ~70mb) from Home of the Underdogs. it's not illegal, it's abandonware.. i won't link to it though in case a mod gets angry.

cool, wonder if there are anymore PSX games on the underdog... i cant seem to find an option on that page to search for playstation abandonware-games ...

@GeminiDomino

2) Most 2D games are RPGs. With only 200mHz and about 40MB of RAM to work with, the more 3D, the worse it's going to be (I don't think we'll see Soul Reaver running anytime soon).

3) Most PSX-era RPGs are playable if they're slower than normal since they were turn based. They are likely to reach "playable" status first, barring compatibility issues. Sniping in MGS on FS2 would, to put it simply, blow goats.

4) RPGs are a more elegant game for a more civilized age. ;)

:D

you are welcome, natural speaker!

at first: i agree with you

to point 2:
"soul reaver" runs well. some smal glitches, but nice to see (but not really playable 4-7 frames per second)
and i like to see such technical "mirakles" on my smal handheld. ;)

to point 4:
maybe, but if final fantasy 7 runs on my gp2x it runs also on yours. and i think Freddy would say: everybody knows that it works, no need to post it. :)
I like FF7 and i play it, but why doesn't run FFIX ? thats a question wich needs an answer.

Back