Psx4gp2x Beta Testers Thread

DoA not available at the moment, I'll try to borrow it from a friend, in the meantime, here go another quick test or three :

Oddworld Abe's Exoddus PAL ( BIN ) :

OC : 250
VSYNC : Seemed quite good...
FPS : Also seemed quite good before it crashed, just after the game loaded :lol: . I don't think that it's a serious tech issue though.
INTERLACE : 0
PROGRESSIVE : OFF
UC_PSX : No Changes ( but in Abe's Oddysee, I did underclock quite a bit, so it'll probably be handy [ for Oddysee I set it to 14868800, the same as Castlevania Sympohony Of The Night ] :blink: ).

Medal Of Honour PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 22
FPS : Between 3 / 7 Ingame, between 9 / 17 in menu areas ( some slight graphic corruption here, but I think that it's only due to redraw speeds ). Between 3 / 6 in cutscenes.
UC_PSX : No Changes

Ridge Racer Type 4 PAL ( IMG ) :

VSYNC : 14 More or less
FPS : Between 4 / 6 Ingame ( some minor graphic corruption here but looks quite good ), between 11 / 19 in menu areas, between 4 / 7 in intro.

The Legend Of Dragoon NTSC ( IMG ) :

VSYNC : 15 More or less
FPS : Between 6 / 7 Ingame, between 11 / 14 in menu areas, between 2 / 5 in intro and cutscenes... Pretty looking game.

Rage Racer PAL ( IMG ) :

VSYNC : 34 More or less
FPS : Between 3 / 7 Ingame, between 10 / 24 in menu areas, between 6 / 8 in intro and cutscenes...

Vagrant Story PAL ( ISO ) [ Game locked on first try, on second try it worked ] :

FPS : Between 6 / 7 Ingame, the same in menu areas, between 3 / 6 in intro and cutscenes... Another nice looking game.

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night PAL ( BIN ) :

FPS : Between 16 / 21 Ingame, between 11 / 14 in menu areas, had to skip konami logo, intro between 4 / 5.
UC_PSX : 14868800 :blink: ... Don't ask me, but this setting works great for many 2D type games.

Not a bad set of tests, considering that I should be working :lol: .

Okay, I've got some little reports on games I've tried. I can't remember the framerates but I hope this will help...

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (is it? XD): As said above, it's playable. However, it wipes the background with the character sprites, if that's how I could describe it. Still, seems promising.

Resident Evil 2: It was running pretty slow, but it was certainly playable. The slow-mo helped me dodge the zombies! :D

Grandia: This was running kinda slow, but it works with no apparent graphic errors. I don't like how all the games in the new release run at a really low resolution though. It was hard to read the text, but the game was certainly playable.

Final Fantasy VIII: This wouldn't run for me. I ripped disc one of the PAL platinum version. I have all the spch (whatever they're called) BIOS files in the directory and after it says 'Loading Game' nothing happens. Anyone got it running?

Parasite Eve 2: After the 'Presented by Square Europe' or whatever screen, nothing happens.

Despite some problems, I've found the emulator very enjoyable. I've been loading BIN files of the games. And could someone explain, what is the purpose of underclocking? Sorry, I don't know much on that topic.

I think that FFVIII has worked for someone or other, I'll try it out again ;) , as far as I understand, by underclocking the emulated PSX you provide more resources for the emu... ( or something like that lol ).

The main thing is that it works :lol:

Yeah, the problem in Abe's Oddysee is not a very very serious one, but it is there.

Metal Gear Solid PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 29 or so
FPS : Between x / x Ingame ( crashed after menu ), between 9 / 15 in main menu ( graphic corruption here, can't see menu options until you hit start button ). Between x / x in cutscenes ( didn't see any ).
UC_PSX : Underclocking seemed to make menu area faster

Final Fantasy VIII PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : Can't remember, but about 20 or so
FPS : Between 7 / 11 Ingame ( whilst Squall initially lies in bed ), dialogues suffer from minor graphic corruption, between 9 / 32 in main menu, static images intro ( annoying flicker effect here ) was quite ok on speed... First cutscene between 5 / 9 ( I had forgotten how pretty this anim is )... Game crashed after a while, it could be due to a bad BIN file, not sure yet, I'll test on another emu later on.
UC_PSX : No changes

Tomb Raider 4 PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : x
FPS : x

This game didn't work, it may be a faulty CD image, not sure until I test on another emu.

Tomb Raider 5 PAL ( BIN ) :

FPS : x

This game didn't work either.

Soul Reaver - Legacy Of Kain PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 14
FPS : Ingame between 2 / 9 ( average was 4 though ), menus between 7 / 10, intro between 1 / 5 ( some graphic corruption ).

Right, time for a cold something before I continue :lol:

It worked for you? Well, my disc was kinda dirty, but I've just ordered FFVII and VIII from Amazon! I'll try 'em when they arrive.

Nice work X-Code! Though you might want to take a break for a little bit. Unai sent his latest revision to the GPU and it's working great, so it's now up to me to get everything packaged up for a Public Release of psx4gp2x. I need to fix up one bug, and spend some time testing my games, and then it's ready to go, so it will be out either today or tommorow.

The emulator is really shaping up. The dynarec, which I estimate a speed increase of 2x to 3x, is coming along well. I'm almost done with all the opcodes in the dynarec, and then it's just a matter of a lot of debugging.

Some games are only a few milliseconds per frame short of fullspeed. In the current build, if you were to decrease the blit time from 3-4ms to 1-2ms per frame, some less intensive games would run at 56+ FPS in-game, instead of their current ~37 FPS. So just optimizing the blitting performance could see a large boost in performance. I will look into hardware blitting, though I don't think it will go much faster.

After the Public Release, I'll be focusing on the dynarec and performance optimizations. I believe with the dynarec we'll see a fullspeed psx4gp2x. :)

Time to fix that last bug...
ZodTTD

Unai sent his latest revision to the GPU and it's working great, so it's now up to me to get everything packaged up for a Public Release of psx4gp2x.

(...)

After the Public Release, I'll be focusing on the dynarec and performance optimizations. I believe with the dynarec we'll see a fullspeed psx4gp2x. :)
*dances around the room while listening to a new bought Led Zeppelin Live CD*

What a fantastic day :D

I'm still dreaming of playing GTA 2 on the Gp2x and also Final Fantasy and some other fantastic PsOne Games. Really great work zodttd and una-i, if I read around this topic you're really working hard on this. I think I'm going to donate an amount of money as soon as possible ( maybe next month or something ).

Oh, I've used google but I haven't found an explanation what dynarec is, just that some fast emulators use it, and that there's a domain registration service that's called the same. [Edit: Found one, Dynarec]

Cheers and thanks a lot to you two,
Dave

*goes searching the old ps-cd's*

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, last load for today :lol:

Shaun : Yeah, it worked to start with, so I guess that it'll be ok in a future version of the emu... I at least hope so.

zodttd
: It is my pleasure to contribute to this fine piece of software. I still have a few games to test ( and re-test )... But, I do indeed need a break now, a few nice cold beers await me.

Gran Turismo 2 - GT Mode PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : Can't remember, not really important as the game crashed :lol:
FPS : Language selection menu 12, main menu 13, after hitting new game, it crashed... I'll re-test this later.

C-12 Final Resistance PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 12
FPS : Ingame between 3 / 5, main menu between 4 / 5, mission briefing text between 11 / 12, intro 2 / 4 with some small graphic corruption... Game looks very good.

Dino Crisis 2 PAL ( BIN ) :

FPS : x After the warning screen, the game continues but all that is visible is a black screen :lol: ( that's not too violent now is it ??? )... I'll have to test it again.

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 17 or so
FPS : Ingame between 3 / 7, map view 25, item menu 20, config menu 12 / 15, main menu 20 /24, Intro between 4 / 8, first cutscene 13 / 15 ( until the 3D bit, there it's between 4 / 6 ) :).

Right , keep up the good work zodttd, unai, and company, for what you're saying now,I'll dare believe that the GP2X will suddenly hit a VERY high demand... That can only be good.

I foresee many PSOne "bargain bins" being emptied in the coming months ;)

Just wish I knew where my collection had got to... :/

zodttd and unai, you two are bringing us a psx emu which is nearly as fast as the snes emu ... lol you too are so great really (squidge of course also is ;p)

do you think your fullspeed claim will be with or without sound?

i really love this community...

I foresee many PSOne "bargain bins" being emptied in the coming months
Yeah i have been on the look out for more playstation games since i have found out about this emulator.:D

Thanks alot for the updates zodttd and Unai!

I'd read that page a few days ago when I wondered what a dynarec was...

Out of interest, would it be possible to (based on the emulator code) write a convertor that (non-realtime) took the iso and converted to fast ARM assembler...? Very iffy legalities I guess(!).

Also, are there any other links - ie "Idiots guide to writing emulators" that exists..? I'm a SW Engineer of 23+ years, but would have little idea of where to start such a job.
EDIT: Actually looks like wikipedia has a page on that as well..!

My son has a cupboard full of PS1 games.. :) (well about 30+ anyway). Hope it'll prove prudent not taking them down the local tip.

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
THE MUMMY PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : Can't remember around 20 I think
FPS : Ingame 3 / 10 ( but you can barely see anything due to missing polygons ), intro 3 / 10 , main menu 15 / 16, language selection menu 17.

Dune 2000 PAL ( BIN ) :

VSYNC : 11 / 13
FPS : Ingame 11 / 14, intro 3 / 5 ( some graphic corruption ), crashed during intro ( skipping intro on try 2 worked ), main menu 5 / 7, family ( house ) selection menu 15 / 17, territory to attack menu 14, briefing 10 / 11, first cutscene 4 / 5.

Continued tests in order to be able to compare the results with new version of psx4gp2x B) .

I must like pain :lol: , but anyway, next tests ( probably for tomorrow :lol: ) will cover :

Driver 2
Spiderman
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Theme Hospital :blink:
V-Rally 2
V-Rally 3 ( If I can find it )
Dead Or Alive ( if I can find it )
Silent Hill
G-Police 2

And whatever else I happen to trip over in my garage :lol:

Wasn't going to do more now, but here's my last test :lol: :