Psx4pandora

For those coming from hacked PSPs, eBOOT support in psx4pandora is extremely useful. eBOOTS are easy to find and download

'OrR' said:
Well, if the audio is in files in the data track, it will work. If it's in audio CD tracks like on a music CD, it won't.
yeah, I see, most of them have the audio in datafiles or in combined installers

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so which is really the best format for this emulator then? is it Eboot? and if so which app are people using to create eboots that work?

...by best I mean creates a working file with minimal hassle and editing, with or without compression, honestly I'm not bothered by 700mb files. If I have a 8 or 16 gb card space is a moot point but if there's one that can also compress the file and do it without too much added fiddling I think most people would like to know about it too.

All of mine are img/ccd or bin/cue, good to see they will work, but if eboot was supported that would be awesome

So, if you have a physical PS1 CD, what's the best way to rip it for use on the Pandora?

Having a 16gb dont mean squat - as it would soone get filled with PSX games using standard file formats - so having a single card for all games gets a little thin

Even at 50% compression something like Ridge Racer comes out at 400MB ish

I have noticed that there seem to be several flavours of eboot out there and not sure which ones to convert my games to.

If you google for stuff you notice some eboot.pbp files are available at really reduced sizes - I suspect the smaller ones have all the video FMV sequences ripped out - which aint a bad thing as it speeds up loading - I have been looking at youtube videos to see which ones work well - I'm converting my old PSX cd's as well as trying to find decent size classics which have been shrunk already for PSZ emulator on PSP

I have Dune 2000 which is around 600MB on original CD, I have seen the ripped ISO images at around 300MB and the full image (all video/sounds) at 200MB for eboot

'Drack' said:
So, if you have a physical PS1 CD, what's the best way to rip it for use on the Pandora?
I googled PocketISO

You may have to search specifically for download

Essentially this is the one that I have seen lots of people recommend

You basically launch app, select bin/img image on CD

Then click on Analyse - then if you leave on normal compression you get CD image shrunk to roughly 1/3 to 1/2 original size

The pocketISO app produces two files with .z extension to them

I have looked at eboot - but that sounds too complicated - albeit the file sizes are really much much more smaller.

From what Tinnus hinted at earlier - they were thinking about adding eboot support to PSX4Pandora - in antcipation I googled PSXPSP to find places to download eboot images

Shit there is even a guy on YouTube who has posted loads of videos and has a link of 100 plus games

It's not really a big deal to have "all" my games, I mean a 16gb card could hold close to 20 uncompressed PS1 games, how many am I (or anyone) really going to play at one time that you cant go back later and get more off your harddrive?

...hmm I just had a thought, there's a program I have for converting my PS2 games to ISOs to install on my PS2(fat), I doubt it'd work on PS1 games but prehaps they have a specific easy app for converting PS1 games too....

...just looked and unfortunatly the never made a similar app, but then again if I just want to make an iso, they seem to have plenty of programs for that that work, half of them seem to automatically convert to eboot which if it's not being recognized yet is pretty useless, and none suggest any compression (which I'm not in a rush for but others might be.)

I may have missed something, but why would there be .eboot support in psxpandora?

eboots (I thought) were only used on the PSP - i.e. they are PSP executables.

I would assume the PSX ISO converted to an eboot, is essentially the PSX gamedata with either a PSP PSX emulator attached (or at least, game specific emulation information if the PSX emu lives in PSP firmware - I don't know).

Someone let me know where I'm wrong/confused...

'silver' said:
Eboots are just compressed ISOs with some additional media (screencaps, video clips, etc) packed in. There is nothing PSP-specific about the format. It's a pretty popular format and it's what a lot of people already have, so it makes sense to support it.

'silver' said:
I may have missed something, but why would there be .eboot support in psxpandora?

eboots (I thought) were only used on the PSP - i.e. they are PSP executables.

I would assume the PSX ISO converted to an eboot, is essentially the PSX gamedata with either a PSP PSX emulator attached (or at least, game specific emulation information if the PSX emu lives in PSP firmware - I don't know).

eboot is an archive containing some icons, movies, sounds for XMB to show or play when browsing games and an embedded ELF-like binary and other PRX (DLL-like) or data files.

a PS1 eboot contains a compressed ISO of the PS1 game instead (the emulator itself is embedded in the firmware with a modified version of PS1 bios).

NOTE: PRX is an ELF-like binary which can be executed as an executable or as a dynamic library.

'Chip' said:
Eboots are just compressed ISOs with some additional media (screencaps, video clips, etc) packed in. There is nothing PSP-specific about the format. It's a pretty popular format and it's what a lot of people already have, so it makes sense to support it.
normal eboot doesn't contain an iso. As far as I know only PS1 eboot has an embedded PS1 iso (compressed or not).

'hlide' said:
... sounds for XMB to show or play when browsing games and an embedded ELF-like binary and other PRX (DLL-like) or data files....
That sounds quite PSP specific to me... you're not going to be running the embedded elf on anything else, unless you replace it with an appropriate-platform executable. And if you do that you have basically changed the format anyway....

I asked as I've only heard of eboots being used on PSP's.

'silver' said:
'hlide' said:
... sounds for XMB to show or play when browsing games and an embedded ELF-like binary and other PRX (DLL-like) or data files....
That sounds quite PSP specific to me... you're not going to be running the embedded elf on anything else, unless you replace it with an appropriate-platform executable. And if you do that you have basically changed the format anyway....

I asked as I've only heard of eboots being used on PSP's.

I thought i was clear.

EBOOT.PBP is a container which is usually used to contain a PSP game, so a PRX or ELF binary, encrypted or not.

There is a special case when EBOOT.PBP contains indeed a PS1 game under the form of an ISO compressed or not instead of having a PRX executable.

What people want here for PS1 emulation is the ability to run this special case of EBOOT.PBP for PS1 emulation. It is what Tinnus called the PS1 style EBOOT.

From PSP world, you can get several PS1 eboots and put them on your pandora so psx4pandora can read the iso of a game into them.

eboot is not a necessity per se, just another possibility to be able to run the existing PS1 style eboots without extracting or ripping an iso.

'hlide' said:
I thought i was clear.

EBOOT.PBP is a container which is usually used to contain a PSP game, so a PRX or ELF binary, encrypted or not.

There is a special case when EBOOT.PBP contains indeed a PS1 game under the form of an ISO compressed or not instead of having a PRX executable.

What people want here for PS1 emulation is the ability to run this special case of EBOOT.PBP for PS1 emulation. It is what Tinnus called the PS1 style EBOOT.

From PSP world, you can get several PS1 eboots and put them on your pandora so psx4pandora can read the iso of a game into them.

eboot is not a necessity per se, just another possibility to be able to run the existing PS1 style eboots without extracting or ripping an iso.
Thanks, that has cleared it up for me.

One neat thing that PSP eboots can do is to have a multi-disc game (like MGS or FFVII) in one file. Granted, the file is large, but it keeps you from cluttering up your memsticks with several eboots. It's also handy because on the Sony emulator on the PSP, you can "change discs" within the menu. No need to have to find ugly work arounds for mutli-disc games like there was when the first hacked eboots were available.

Still though, aside from the prevalence of eboots, I don't see the point in supporting them if it requires a lot of work to get it done. ISO's and other image formats are just as available.

I think the issue is they want more condensed ISOs. I said it earlier if I have a 8 or 16 gb card I wouldn't care about a few 700mb ISOs but people seemed to still prefer the ability to stuff more games down on to a card.

For those of us not worried about simply making an ISO I think we have our answer, just make one, provided it's dont by an application that does it properly, for other people more concerned with space they want a way to fit more on a card and supposedly Eboot fits that need.

Back