Pyra Media Coverage

2. It's UGLY [true, it's bloody ugly but who the hell cares?]

i really like the look.
it's not so overstyled like most of the phones today.
it looks kinda retro, somehow like a c64 breadbin to me!! :)
davec made a good work designing the pandora case imho, problem with
the pandora case was that it had cheap plastic and that (imho) ugly
light silver cheap looking paint. i can remember ed ordered dark silver, the chinese
company screwd it up.
so same cool pandora look but better build quality and finish for the pyra = me happy! :)

I'd take that point many steps further:

-Due to their nature and lack of expansion/interfaces, much less can be done with the more powerful smartphones. In this sense, the Pyra is more "powerful" in other contexts.

-When your device's feature list includes three of the four things that sets smartphones apart from most other computers (mobility, connectivity, communications), you have much more freedom. It's like choosing the gated pasture over the walled garden, except the gate isn't much of a barrier. Not to humans, anyway.

i agree the Pandora and the Pyra can do many more things than my smartphone. i love the number of storage options on my pandora.

Good stuff. Get some sleep. It will bring fresh perspective and you don't want to be called sleepydragon?:)

Didn't work out... 4:45 am here, and I'm damn tired...

Here is a preview of the PressKit:
http://cloud.openpandora.org/index.php/s/a0Q0TXV8gh5NLAC

You can find a lot of nice pictures there :)

The Texts only exist in German right now and I need to proof-read them tomorrow and translate them afterwards.

Let me know what you think.

The Texts only exist in German right now and I need to proof-read them tomorrow and translate them afterwards.

Pictures look great. You could throw some of erico's renders in there, too, since his are also very professional looking. https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/a-spectrum-of-pyra-renders.76573/
especially in the spoiler:

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/up...pyra.jpg.2dc15a12028f273de41ec9f7c2f82b39.jpg
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/up...lack.jpg.39d89d15b3e2e70531d3249b7a5d7144.jpg
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/up.../pyr.jpg.92927b8630eef7b1e8cbe4f949c2c96b.jpg

pyra.jpg.2dc15a12028f273de41ec9f7c2f82b39.jpg

ERICO-black.jpg.39d89d15b3e2e70531d3249b7a5d7144.jpg

pyr.jpg.92927b8630eef7b1e8cbe4f949c2c96b.jpg

Don't forget to talk up the Pyra community in the short text (sorry if I missed it), and don't be shy when talking about the price, it's a high quality device you've put together. In the first spoiler are some of my first thoughts on it, but I also took a stab at some translating further below:
An enthusiastic community can get more out of an open and unlocked device than any super-spec'ed device (most of which get abandoned when the next one comes out -- i.e. within a year). Buying a Pyra means joining a very friendly and capable community.

On the issue of price, in German you say something to this effect: you're putting together a quality device, with more features than anything on the market, paying people a good wage to build it, and it's a device that will last years even without the future CPU upgrades (respecting the environment, to boot!). In English, just make sure not to sound defensive, because the reasons behind the expense should actually more reasons we want to support you. (Apple gets away with charging through the nose and people keep coming back... because Apple is good quality and gives good support. And you're offering an open platform besides!)

[edit]
Here's my stab at a rough translation of the short text (with other things thrown in, feel free to remix):

Crowdfunding for the DragonBox Pyra began May 1, 2016 at midnight in Germany. In just three days, the campaign received over 600 preorders -- almost 75% of what is needed to start production. Years have gone into the design and development of this device, with a functioning prototype already being tested and refined since the beginning of February. Though there is of yet no fixed shipment date, we expect to send out the first batch of Pyras by the end of the year.

continue in the spoiler:
The DragonBox Pyra is the successor to the OpenPandora, with countless improvements and many features not found combined in any other mobile devices:
  • Completely open: open-source GNU/Linux OS and an open hardware design -- easy to hack, repair, and mod
  • Complete control: touchscreen, backlit keyboard, game controls, analog nubs, and four shoulder buttons
  • Space to breathe: 32 GB of onboard eMMC storage, two full-sized SDXC card slots, plus an internal microSDXC card slot
  • Plays well with others: Two USB 2.0-A host ports, a microUSB-B OTG port, mic and headphone audio jack, and micro HDMI port
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1, WiFi abgn (2.4 / 5 GHz), and optional LTE/3G/GPRS
  • Long battery life: everything on, full brightness, 8 hours on the prototype, and the battery is easily swappable
  • No strings attached: no registration required, no one at DragonBox to log your choices or peruse your data
  • Modular design: future CPU upgrades are possible without buying a whole new device -- good for the environment!
  • Transparent development: all choices made and discussed on the DragonBox forums and blog
  • Community and support: the Pyra will be pushed beyond its limits by the friendly and enthusiastic people you meet on the forums
  • Produced with quality in Europe: with a chip designed in the USA, a sturdy case from Greece, and full assembly in Germany
  • Pocketable: with a 720p 5“ (293.72 ppi resolution) screen, it‘s there for the journey
All of these features combine to make the DragonBox Pyra perfect for both work and play, on the go or at home, without being tethered to the wall.

Based on the model, the final price of the Pyra will be between 500-630 euro (without shipping or tax, which may not apply depending on your country). This investment goes towards the making of a high-quality device, built honestly with pride in Germany, which will last years even without upgrading any of its internals. (There are plans for those, too.) Support your neighborhood open-source hardware and software developers: buy a Pyra!

Last edited:

Those photos of the prototype have a very short depth of field. Perhaps it would be useful to take some where the entire unit is in focus, not just the part in the middle of the shot?

-Neelix

Damn, if I just could split into multiple persons, things would be a lot easier!

Please do not try to literately split yourself...

...but more seriously, an extra hand during pre-order time (for PR, order handling...) might not be a bad idea.
Of course that requires finding someone (which also take times...)

I guess one good point about the community is that a lot of questions get answered through the forum.

:( hmmm...my german is a bit rusty, bu I think it is severely underselling the pyra, I would suggest the following:
(feel free to use it, obviously you and notaz need to sign of on the quotes!!)

For immediate release: Dragonbox Pyra homing in on its Crowdfunding target

The crowdfunding campaign for the community driven minicomputer, the
Dragonbox Pyra, got off to a flying start, selling more than 600
preorders within 72 hours from dragonbox.de. Production of this
versatile minicomputer will begin once 750 orders are placed and
delivery is expected before the end of the year.

"The Pyra is the mobile computer we want ourselves" says Evildragon aka
Michael Mrozek, lead of the design team, owner of dragonbox.de and self
professed retro gaming and linux freak. "Demand for its predecessor, the
OpenPandora is still strong, but its production couldn't be continued
since parts were no longer available," he continues. "We decided to give
it a reboot with state of the art components and a modular design. The
process was a complete community effort, with input from the blog and
forums at pyra-handheld.com." The result of this effort, the Dragonbox
Pyra is truely the most versatile and powerful Linux pocket computer
available.

It can be ordered now starting from 500 euro to 750 euro (depending on
configuration and taxes) at dragonbox.de.

Highlights:

- state of art Texas Instruments OMAP5 2+2 core SoC
- 720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen optimized for responsive gaming
and Linux Desktop use
- 2GB or 4GB RAM, 32GB internal eMMC
- 720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen
- Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)
- high strength polycarbonate case
- backlit physical keyboard and analog + digital gaming controls
- Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.1
- Optional 3G/4G/UMTS and GPS module for connectivity
- High-Quality speakers, best of class sound circuit
- Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out
- Various sensors (accelerometer, gyro-sensor, etc.) and Vibration motor

Future proof design:
- Open firmware and bootloader.
- modular and replaceable CPU board
- replaceable battery
- expandable storage options: Dual SDXC card slots and an internal MicroSDXC
card slot for more than 1TB of storage

"It was quite a puzzle to find all the right components for an
Opensource friendly pocket computer," says Michael. Notaz, community member
and firmware guru of the Openpandora, adds: "Finding a chipset that is well
suppported in the kernel and maintainable over long time is actually
hard. The people at Texas Instruments have been fantastically helpful,
and the OMAP5 will be a huge improvement over the OMAP3 used in the
OpenPandora."

Last edited:

You should also mention that the Case Color is not Final. Also how about an "One Vid Per Day" Maraton with the Prototype?

Pictures look great. You could throw some of erico's renders in there, too, since his are also very professional looking.
I second that motion. Damn, that black-on-black looks really noice! Also, a couple of comparison shots with other devices, say some Nintendo handheld(s), would help people to visualize the Pyra better.

Thanks for your suggestions and translation!
I'll check them and integrate them if they make sense :)

I'll also make more pictures and record some videos (of the device and interviewing myself) so newssites can create small videos as well.

Don't worry: After the presskit has been taken care of and I've taken a day off, I will concentrate on regular videos.
Not a daily series, but regularly :)

By the way, is someone doing a Japanese translation of the press kit?

Thanks for your suggestions and translation!
I'll check them and integrate them if they make sense :)

I'll also make more pictures and record some videos (of the device and interviewing myself) so newssites can create small videos as well.

Don't worry: After the presskit has been taken care of and I've taken a day off, I will concentrate on regular videos.
Not a daily series, but regularly :)

more hints about writing a press release e.g. here http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Press-Release
but basically you need a catchy title, a strong lead and "copy-pasteable" quotes!! (and remember that editors are lazy people too!!)
(at least for the anglosaxon world, dunno about germans)

Reactions: rSl
Hi to all
In the press kit please , ED think add the Font of The Pyra for the Artist and colors code you use too ;) to do wallpaper or other.
Many thanks
peace

Edit : when i ll ve the Pyra i ll do video. And i already talked and i ll talk in g+ & diaspora !

Reactions: rSl
I hate those computer voice videos too. But indeed, even a normal narrator can't save this one.

Oh dear, I had to google for links:
http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/54315306/pyra-preorders-have-started
As expected, most of it is the worst the internet has to offer, but there is some decent discussion hidden amongst it.
To be honest I frequently browse imageboards and this is one of the more civilized thread, way better than I'd expected. Remember, bad PR is good PR, especially on places like this.Also, on 8chan the Pyra seems to recieve more positive responses.

I guess anywhere the Pyra is assumed to be "worse" than the GPD WIN. This might change once both devices will be released, it will get more fair.

Last edited:
The voice in that video seems to be from Google voice translate or some machine talking and not human. If that is the case then, I think it's pretty good! \o/xD

Back