Pyra should have a female tripod connector built in to the case.

Should Pyra have a standard tripod connector built in to the case?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 80.0%

• Total voters

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Pyra should have a standard tripod connector, like you’d find on the base of a camera.

This would not be an earth shattering feature by any means, but as it would be relatively easy / cheap to manufacture this should be given due consideration IMHO. Any features that help the device stand out from the ‘competition’ have got to be a good thing.

I’d probably use it with something like this, or this but a standard tripod could of course be used if suitable.

Here’s some examples of where it could come in useful :

• In car computer mounting : For sat Nav (if we have GPS) or music / video player etc.
  • Watching movies in bed or on public transport : Sit back and enjoy!
  • 2 player gaming : Sat at a table and using external controllers, Pyra could be easily positioned to be comfortably viewable by both players.
  • In situ editing / image viewing for ‘serious’ photographers. : Might lead to a few extra sales.
  • Improved ergonomics when Pyra is used with external keyboard and mouse : This is where the idea really shines IMHO, as Pyra should be fully capable of a 'desktop like experience' in terms of performance when using office type software or internet stuff it would be a huge boon to be able to easily place Pyra at a comfortable height whilst using a full size keyboard & mouse.

Not a bad idea :) The OP I've used as a portable projecter when paired with well... a projector.

A minor problem is that you'd need a very specific tripod for it to be sturdy enough to still use the keyboard while using it - if it's on the base, the top will move too. So hrm!

Personally I don't think it's a good idea.. Adding the threading and plastic supports that would be needed to handle the weight and allow proper use(typing and such) without cracking the plastic would take up a lot of space that would result in a much thicker device or reduction of PCB / component space inside the device..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not simply put the device on the table/bed/whatever? 'Serious' photographers would never use a small camera. But if you want to take a photo there is still the lid hinge to adjust the camera to the desired angle.

That's actually a nice idea Mr Loon
Thankyou :)

A minor problem is that you'd need a very specific tripod for it to be sturdy enough to still use the keyboard while using it - if it's on the base, the top will move too. So hrm!
If you were planning to use the Pyra keyboard I'd think that holding the device in your hand would be the best bet, however this idea is for when you would not use the built in keyboard, e.g. when watching a movie (especially with more than 1 viewer), when using an external keyboard etc.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea.. Adding the threading and plastic supports that would be needed to handle the weight and allow proper use(typing and such) without cracking the plastic would take up a lot of space that would result in a much thicker device or reduction of PCB / component space inside the device..
That would depend upon the design, one possibility would be to add a thin band of metal around the base to add rigidity & strength, the tripod connection could be welded to this. Also consider digital cameras, there are plenty of 'slimline' cameras that manage to include a tripod connector.

Why not simply put the device on the table/bed/whatever? 'Serious' photographers would never use a small camera. But if you want to take a photo there is still the lid hinge to adjust the camera to the desired angle.

You could of course put the Pyra on a desk / bed / table etc. but it would be much more ergonomic if the device could easily be raised to an optimal position. Think of sitting at a desk with an external keyboard & mouse, with the screen raised by 10" you'd no longer have to hunch up to view it. Think of sitting back for a nice long movie without having to hunch up or hold the device for 2 hours at the desired height etc.

As for the photography I imagined Pyra being used as a companion device for a high end camera, i.e. for image previewing / on site editing / on site uploading etc. as per here

there are plenty of 'slimline' cameras that manage to include a tripod connector.
Well cameras are one thing they're fairly simple, Handheld devices that are trying to cram complex electronics into a small package with little room are another..  I don't think it can be done without sacrificing size or internal space. I'd rather see this handled as an accessory that slides on or something.

I want to make a "table" with a camera connector on it now with some kind of hook or recessed area so that the Pandora can fit inside of it.

If there's a camera and it's on the lid then no. Same as _wb_.

Where exactly do you imagine this connector will go? and in what orientation? Towards the bottom of the unit or the front of the unit? I'm having trouble visualising how this would work...

- Neelix

how's that gonna work with the battery? Are you thinking to place it near the border?

A holder to clip the Pyra in is probbaly more stable.

there are plenty of 'slimline' cameras that manage to include a tripod connector.
Well cameras are one thing they're fairly simple, Handheld devices that are trying to cram complex electronics into a small package with little room are another..  I don't think it can be done without sacrificing size or internal space. I'd rather see this handled as an accessory that slides on or something.
The 'standard' camera mounting is a 1/4" diameter machine screw with 20 threads per inch, 1/4" deep.  It is generally mounted in an 1/2" by 3/4" oblong base to help give it leverage inside the camera plastics.

So the 'volume cost' for this on a Pyra would be 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/4" ~ 12.7mm x 19mm x 6.35mm tall.

That is a @#%! ton of volume for this device.

How about we not put a camera lug on the Pyra and instead let people who need a base mounting connect a swath of Velcro to the bottom of it?

While I guess I can see use cases for this, I can honestly say that I just can't see myself mounting the Pyra on a tripod.

Usually I prop my pandora on the Compact DS Stand that came with "Learn with Pokémon Typing Adventure DS" (which I bought primarily for the included USB keyboard :) ) and that tends to hold it at a good viewing angle, especially considering the 180 opening angle of the Pandora hinge.

Perhaps it would make more sense to create a generic handheld-device stand with a tripod mount on the stand?

- Neelix

I was planning to create a Pandora mount that would clamp on to a tripod, but not necessarily mount on the camera mount part, because I have a heavy duty tripod that I mount my DLP projector to when I use it at conventions..  My plan was to use the center pole and a pipe style clamp. I have the design in my head, will spend some time and 3D print it when I get some time.

If you want something that survives war I suppose something that glues on is better, since it has no space constraints.  Ive mounted a headphone amplifier to a shelf by gluing the top to the shelf, it wont come off, and its only a small patch meant to hold a gopro camera. Maybe we can find something like that already produced?

Microphone mounts, camera equipment, something ought to work

Back