Pyra: The Phone That Respects Your Privacy?

I think the point here is about privacy in the host system, not specifically the radio module

Radio modules cannot be active when turned off, because if they were, their power consumption would be impractically high and nobody would build battery-powered products around them.

When turned on, the host system gets to choose exactly what data gets sent to the module, and without tracking your approximate location, it would be impossible for towers to route calls and messages to you.

I'm not talking about privacy from people snooping on your cellular connection. I'm talking about privacy from Google and such leeching off your personal details for advertising and such. A lot of people hate that. And I would have no problem using the Pyra as a phone. I tested it with SIP on the Pandora, which is a similar form factor. It's fine!

I'm talking about privacy from Google and such leeching off your personal details for advertising and such
Use iOS then if you don't want Google.

I tested it with SIP on the Pandora, which is a similar form factor. It's fine!
You must be the only person here who thinks that's a great alternative to using a phone.

The alternative is a bad-security, no privacy thing, without a keyboard.

Pyra every time.
so you browse everything through Tor, I assume ? and you run Coreboot on your PC I guess ? Oh, and you don't use any browser that uses Javascript ? So Dillo or Links ?

If you dont, your statement is inconsistent with your behavior.

For how much i like desktops, they are very inconvenient when you want to move around.

I pick the better alternative where I see fit. I have a s2 with replicant on it. Still no keyboard, still a toy.

Not being able to hold a phone up to my ear while looking like a regular phone is a very minor inconvenience for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra every time.

so you browse everything through Tor, I assume ? and you run Coreboot on your PC I guess ? Oh, and you don't use any browser that uses Javascript ? So Dillo or Links ?

If you dont, your statement is inconsistent with your behavior.
Why does it have to be all or nothing?

Not necessarily! Again, I am not talking about locking everything down. I'm just talking about not deliberately allowing data mining.

To market it as a Phone will be make bad PR:

It ditnt have a Kamera on it whyle even sheap Androids got one, and the Phone Funktions should work, but the Pyra dosnt seems to be realy confortable to phone whit as long you ditnt use a Bluetooth Headset..
A sheap Android device does also have Android. Some people don't understand, why the Pyra gets a Lunix instead of a Android. The Pyra will stay a niche product, which is capable for a lot of stuff - including phone functions. :)
And first if all, the normal Homebrewhandheld Funktions have to be optimet first bevore somewhone can inplement the Phone Funktions..
If a person is paid for: Yes.But as probably most of the software stuff will be made from the community for free: No.

You can't force people to optimet Homebrewhandheld Funktions instead of doing some phone magic.

(This is very similar to the discussion, that people should improve emulators instead of making homebrew games, you can't control free software developing)

I'm just talking about not deliberately allowing data mining.

So you should stop surfing the web altogether. Even if you don't use Google, most websites use Google Analytics and they can pretty much track everywhere you go even if you are not aware of it.
I'm just talking about not deliberately allowing data mining.

So you should stop surfing the web altogether. Even if you don't use Google, most websites use Google Analytics and they can pretty much track everywhere you go even if you are not aware of it.
I don't care about that. I care about them knowing who I text, wbo I call, etc. Which they can only do if I use Android.

I don't care about that. I care about them knowing who I text, wbo I call, etc. Which they can only do if I use Android.
Im not sure if you are really serious about this statement. SO only Android can be monitored? Thats what you think?

There is an army of big brothers waiting to make your profile to pure cash. Google is just one of them. And even Google alone is present on every second website, no matter if you use Android or Chrome or nothing of it.

Then there is Apple, then there is Microsoft, then there is the executive which does a hell load of surveillance as SNowden proved.

That's why I don't log in to google and block google analytics. That really doesn't hurt my web experience at all.

Edit: Except for google docs to be fair. That flat out doesn't work if you've never logged in (although it does work if you log in then log out, curiously).

Im not sure if you are really serious about this statement. SO only Android can be monitored? Thats what you think?

There is an army of big brothers waiting to make your profile to pure cash. Google is just one of them. And even Google alone is present on every second website, no matter if you use Android or Chrome or nothing of it.

Then there is Apple, then there is Microsoft, then there is the executive which does a hell load of surveillance as SNowden proved.
Obviously I only mentioned Android, since the Pyra is not an Apple product. And yeah, if you use chrome or such, you're going to have problems. But if you use Debian, your contact list is private.

And to be fair, I honestly don't care myself. I use Google all the time.

Because my dad's friend is the type who would care, and apparently he's been looking at the Pyra. And my dad is the one who wanted me to make this thread.

He thought it might help the Pyra get more sales.

I said this in the OP.

I tested it with SIP on the Pandora, which is a similar form factor. It's fine!
You must be the only person here who thinks that's a great alternative to using a phone.
I do !

Pyra every time.
This. Plus the idea of owning an all-in-one laptop/handheld/phone that fits in your pocket/bag.

arguments about Google watching you and all
I'm using a bunch of Firefox extensions, including AdBlock, NoScript, HTTPS-Everywhere and Self-Destructing Cookies. Have you tried Lightbeam ? According to Mozilla, I got rid of about 90% of the "followers" this way.

So of course it's taking a bit of time to manually add temporary perms for each site, but now I know and block Google Analytics and friends every time it's used in a website.

I believe there's always room for enhancement, but if you don't want closed source codes or too mainstream programs thus encouraging security breaks, cut off your interwebs and get back to programming on Amiga 500.

(Before you hang me, I do love the Amiga.)

Back