Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

qemu-1.2.0 compiles and runs at least, having a hard time actually booting off the previous 0.15 images though, hangs on "booting from hard disk".

Setup from CD starts working though...

mcobit, you mentioned before that a new version then the current repo qemu felt slower, was that benchmarked or was it that noticeable? Wouldn't mind giving 1.2 a run for its money :)

hangs on "booting from hard disk".
+
That is the most Problem,we cannot realy solve this.

Qemu above Version 1.0 have massivly Problems with Reading Images and i tried some things but nothing work realy.

We have a good Qemu Version for Pandora who work ;)

When anyone can solve this,i be open for new Version Qemu testings ^_^

2. At 16m colours the mouse cursor is just a white box with the top left of it being the point. at 65k colours, you have no mouse pointer. I haven't figured out a way past this yet.
There is a Solution for this,try to set the grafical Acceleration one Step lower,then your Mouse should work better :)

I'm using Qemu with Windows 95, and I noticed that when the SD card is in use (the led ON), the system freeze and is unusable as long as the led is ON (the mouse cursor freeze ect.). Is there a solution for this ?
Yepp and it makes your system little more stable.

Its a Windows95 Problem that Windows want often to see what is in Drive A and when you havent mounted a Floppy can a little addition in the good old Autoexec.bat help

Code:
subst a: c:\windows

This say Windows there is a Drive a: and Windows work better,when this next happens.

then when you dont have a Drive A: take Windows a long Time to rekognize that and Hangs :)

I have ordered Windows NT 4.0 too,maybe it work better than Windows98 on the Pandora because Touchscreen(readed here that it work ^_^ )

Last edited by a moderator:
What might be handy is a way of benchmarking a vm. I'm not sure what would be best for this, quake 1 timedemo? Or something that takes into account free memory?

Sorry to ask, but searching the thread for CD wouldn't come up with anything.

I've pointed qemu to an iso but when booting up windows 95, there is no cd drive. How can I get this working ?

Thanks.

Sorry to ask, but searching the thread for CD wouldn't come up with anything.

I've pointed qemu to an iso but when booting up windows 95, there is no cd drive. How can I get this working ?

Thanks.

You need to set a DOS cd driver up in config.sys and autoexec.bat. If you do a search for the oakcdrom.sys driver that should be usable. Then you can add something like DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:drv01 to config.sys and MSCDEX.EXE /D:drv01 to autoexec.bat, reboot, then you should be in business.

Is Qemu actually way slower that Dosbox ?

I have tryed using this DRDOS image : "Empty DRDOS image english with CDROM" (Pandora QEmu wiki)

And I've tested the doom shareware 1.9 (google doom19s.zip) with the command line "doom -timedemo demo3", and I got a result of 12654 realtics

I did the same benchmark on Dosbox and got 4066 realtics (the lower the better of course), so Dosbox is about 3x faster that Qemu o.o

Is this normal ? Or is there definitively a problem with my setup ?

My Pandora is a GHZ edition clocked at 1214 MHZ

The problem is that all the games I try works best on Dosbox.

Just tryed to install Lands of Lore 2, the sound lags and the setup freeze when starting to copy the files...

Dosbox made a bit of a leap in performance, but qemu still is a bit faster in some games and you can play windows95 games with it.

I'm surprise to see that doom is so slow in Qemu, some people are running much complex games on Qemu, that's why I'm asking, maybe a problem in my setup.

Can someone please try that benchmark ? google doom19s.zip, then run the command line "doom -timedemo demo3"

I'm surprise to see that doom is so slow in Qemu, some people are running much complex games on Qemu, that's why I'm asking, maybe a problem in my setup.

Can someone please try that benchmark ? google dooms19.zip, then run the command line "doom -timedemo demo 3"

I know your prob doing it for bench marking reasons, but we have Native Linux Doom clients that run it perfectly, if not better than the original DOS version all you just need the WAD files from the original game.

I'll give the timedemo a whirl once I find my CD of Ultimate doom.

Yep I'm using Doom DOS just for a bench reason, I will definitively choose the native port if I wanted to play it, I tested the Quake native port a while ago and it's awsome :)

For the timedemo, you can get the Doom Shareware 1.9 from this link, look at the mirrors in the right part of the page : http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=7043

It will be better to use the same version that I used, to have comparable setups.

Is it possible to get a cd rom driver for win98se that isn't limited by the DOS 8 character filename limit? This is necessary for games such as roller coaster tycoon 1 unless i copy the disk to the HDD but its require in RCT2

The CD drive gets wrongly detected as an IDE HDD in win98. I messed about with this a while back and found that if you go to device manager (right click my computer and go to settings I think or go through control panel) and update the (broken) second IDE driver (it has an exclamation mark), just reinstalling the exact same driver allows you to use an attached CD image in win 98. Sorry if I explained that badly, but it's months since I did it. It only works during that windows session though - rebooting breaks it again, but you can do the same trick of reinstalling the driver again. Don't try installing any different driver or it'll have a hissy fit.

What you might want to do is download the freeware magicdisc (google it) - there's a version that works under windows 98 and you can attach many kinds of CD image (ISO, NRG etc...) and it acts exactly like a real CD drive. Create compressed images using the magicdisc software to make smaller images and save HDD space! Hope that helps. IT is also useful for attaching 3 or 4 iso's to save disc swapping in big games.

I might try and get round to messing about with this stuff again, but found 98 to be intollerably slow compared to plain old DOS/win3.1.
I reverted to windows 95 for speed issues and it appears to be a bit better. What really annoys me is that when I use the PC version of qemu with the exact same images (with no CD rom driver on either), a CD with full filenames shows up but not in the pandora version.

Edit: Figured out how to get CD roms with 9+ character filenames working

Start Qemu with no CD image inserted

After windows boots, check to make sure that a CD device exists in My Computer

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+2

Type change ide1-cd0 /path/to/cdrom/image and press enter

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 to go back to windows and enjoy your working cdrom image

Hi, I'd like to get a little advice making Blood run with Qemu

I have tried with the freedos .qcow2 image, copying the blood files from the shared folder. I use Qemumanager. When running I get:

src\demo.cpp(510): File error #9 demo file header

Maybe it depends on the hardware config?

I can run it with DosboxEx but the mouse config is horrible (the mouse is the left nub)

Blood will not run as good as in dosbox for whatever reason. Actually it might be unplayable. There is a video of it around I think.

The mouse will be the left nub in qemu, too.

I think I have found a solution about the slowdowns and freezes caused by the SD card IOs, its an option in Qemu that looks like this :

-drive bps=xxx

or

-drive iops=xxx

The problem is that it seems it is unimplemented in the available version of Qemu for Pandora T.T

So I have a request, can you please include this patch ? It should add much more stability and speed, so it is definitively worth the try ;)

The patch is available here :

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/DiskIOLimits

or here :

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/111588

Thanks in advance :)

I would apply the patch of course, but I have very little time atm. Couldn't do anything with my Pandora for some weeks now :(

First time on QEMU, I found a WMware image on internet that can be launched even on QEMU... so I tried, but I have an error:

Code:
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:

cmov

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

I tried to launch it as 486 too, but then it complain it's not a Pentium... so seems the processor is right, but it does not have this "cmov" function...

Is there some manual option I can use to activate it ?

(The image contains a x86 Gentoo OS on ext2, but it's too fast to read more)

Anyway, very simple interface, I like it. ^_^

EDIT: Looking at the Wiki seems a set of instructions added starting from the Pentium Pro

EDIT2: I tried "-cpu" with 486/athlon/Pentium2 in "Other Options" but seems like this parameter is not even used... I even tried "-cpu FFUUUUUUUU" and not give any error at all...

EDIT3: Ok, resolved modifying "qemu.sh", the image start as a black screen, but at least I can try different cpu

Back