Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Simon the sorcerer runs much better in scummvm with graphics filters :)

Funny and i did not know that :)
Thx for Information.

Btw i got Heart of Darkness running with a good trick on the Qemu for Pandora :)
When i got the Audio little better working will i make a Video.

Cyberterror666 and i found a working Way that Qemu can use Multitrack CDRoms.
Just install in the Emulated Windows95 Daemon Tools and viola..This Windows can now use Multitrack Cds on the Pandora.
That can we use for the Full Version of Diablo2 and Battle Net Gaming on the Pandora.
This Daemon Tools on Emulated Win95 can handle Copyprotected Isos,Bins and CCDs :)

This is in System Mode but with Freedos.

Freedos work fine in Qemu. See in the Pandora Qemu Premade Images,there have i Freedos optimized for Pandora.

Just choose the Freedos Image and the SimonThe Sorcerer Iso and you can start it like real Msdos.

Freedos have buildin CDrom Drivers.

Edit: Qemu can only Handle .bin files with windows95 and installed Daemon Tools in Image.

But dont forgett,Qemu can only handle Iso Files as CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Moment not realy.

I wait that Linux Swat solve this "GKSU Problem" on his actual Slackware Image.

Them can i recompile the newest Qemu GIT with newer Version of GCC and

the Wine GIT too.

Mayebe i should Post him there :)

I want to compile all new with the newer GCC on newest Slackware :)

Hi Ingo et. al.

I have problems with setting up qemu. Can you please give some advice? Do I make a mistake here? Or is there a bug in PanQemu?

My goal was to set up a lean MS-DOS 5.0 or 6.2 or freedos environment for testing the HP 200LX Connectivity Pack under QEmu instead of DOSBox, where it has some problems.

But I cannot install DOS on the HDD image, no matter what I try. After preparing the partition table of the HDD image, qemu's BIOS always tries to boot from the HDD instead of using the floppy or CD-ROM image, and then reports that it doesn't find an OS or an MBR signature.

I did the following:

1. attempt with FREEDOS:

- Deleted qemu's appdata folder, to make sure there's no old config that prevents correct function

- Generated a 200MB HDD image named "/mnt/utmp/qemu/images/freedos.qcow2"

--> The generation is very fast and the resulting file is only 192.5kB. Is this a growing image, or may this be the source of my problem?)

- Configured qemu to use that HDD image

- Configured qemu to use the ISO image of the downloaded freedos installation medium /media/DATA/temp/fd11src.iso

- Launched qemu

--> qemu boots into the freedos installation routine.

- First installation steps executed, which apperently partition and format the HDD image to prepare OS installation (chose "Install to harddisk", then "f" to run fdisk, create a primary active FAT16 partition,l then quit fdisk)

- qemu reboots

--> error message: 

Booting from Hard Disk...

partition signature != 55AA_

(seems like MBR is damaged. From here: How can I tell qemu to boot from the ISO image again?)

--> And if I wait a minute in that state, qemu doesn't let me quit; it's kind of crashed. If I try to close its window, the window manager says that the application is not responding. I have to kill qemu.

2. attempt with MS-DOS 5.0:

- Deleted qemu's appdata folder, to make sure there's no old config that prevents correct function

- Generated a 200MB HDD image named "/mnt/utmp/qemu/images/freedos.qcow2"

--> The generation is very fast and the resulting file is only 192.5kB. Is this a growing image, or may this be the source of my problem?)

- Configured qemu to use that HDD image

- Configured qemu to use the floppy image of my first MS-DOS 5.0 floppy disc) /media/DATA/temp/Dos5.0_disks/dos5_1.img

- Launched qemu

--> qemu boots into the MS-DOS 5.0 installation routine.

- First installation steps executed, which included "Allocate all free hard disk space"

- qemu reboots

--> error message: 

Booting from Hard Disk...

Missing operating system_

(From here: How can I tell qemu to boot from the floppy image again?)

--> And if I wait a minute in that state, qemu doesn't let me quit; it's kind of crashed. If I try to close its window, the window manager says that the application is not responding. I have to kill qemu.

Suggestion (if it's not possible in a different way already):

Add an option to the GUI that forces qemu to boot from one of the configurable devices / images.

qemu's BIOS always tries to boot from the HDD instead of using the floppy or CD-ROM image
I've literally done this earlier today, on the 3rd 4th tab (Other options), there's an "Other options" textbox at the bottom, in there, type "-boot once=d", and that'll force booting the CDROM

You could also try one of the premade images with freedos from the wiki.

I've been trying to run Death Rally via a FreeDos image, but the screen gets all chopped up and overlapped in the top quarter of the screen.

Could this be related to FreeDos or Qemu? I'm currently trying to build another image with Win98 to see if it works in that, but thought I'd post as this seems to be taking an age

DeathRally??

I renember dark that its a Game who got run difficult is.
It use near 3D Engine as Whipsplash/FatalRacing.
Games with this Engine runs not good under Qemu,but this Game was only tested on Rebirth Times and i have it original here.

I can Test this Game for you this Evening.
Maybe i get it run with a few Tricks on 1 Ghz Pandora.

Btw..
..have you tried the DRDOS Image too?
I build in there univbe Vesa Extension.
Maybe this work better. :)

You could also try one of the premade images with freedos from the wiki.
Thanks those work. 

Now I made more progress: Mounted the HP200LX Connectivity Pack folder as "shared folder", booted successfully, but whenever I try to run CPack, qemu simply silently quits. Probalby some kind of crash.

How can I debug why a certain program crashes qemu?...

Dont forget that you should never execute Files in shared Folder.

Copy the The Files into the Image and please run from there then should it work.

Qemu cannot write into the shared Folder and quit everytime.

Second is that Qemu on Pandora cannot handle 800x600 Resolutions.

640x480 work fine and 320x240 work but its then stretched ^_^

First i mixed Death Rally with Bleifuss Car Racing Game (dont know the english Name of that now)

But Univbe help often in such Problems.
When you have more Games that i should Test,write in and i Test this Dos Games.

When anyone have ideas for Games that are Dos Freeware please write them here and i can make Images when you want with it.

But no Abbandonware please,only Freeware/Demoversions/Shareware.

I need Tips with Games that i can use for Qemu.
Maybe we oversaw some good Title like Command&Conquer or GTA Freeware :)

Back