QEMU Issue

Zubyzub

Still Fresh
Hello guys,

i'm new here, so it's probably stupid question, but could anyone help me with QEMU?

I want to instal Windows 95 to one image and Windows 98 to another one. But i was not able to achieve that.

1] I tried prepared image "1GB Bootable HDD Image premade for Windows95 Setup" and everything works how it should, but 1GB it's just to few. So i tried to resize image with qemu-img resize.. no luck. Final image is working under ubuntu, but no chance to load it on pandora. Then i tried convert to raw, cat and convert back.. same result.

2] I tried to install W95 directly on pandora with booting CD. in 99% it get stuck on initial progress bar of setup. It worked once and i was able to install W95, but once i mount some virtual CD the mechanic in W95 just disappear.

3] I tried to install free dos and then install W95. It work perfectly but again. Once i'll mount any image the CD drive in windows disappear.

4] I tried to install everything on ubuntu with 0.14 and 0.15

qemu-img create -f qcow2 ~/win98.img 2G

kvm -M pc-0.14 -cpu pentium -no-kvm -no-acpi -no-hpet -m 128 -hda win95.qcow2 -cdrom Win95.iso -boot d -soundhw sb16 -usb -usbdevice tablet -vga cirrus -net none

Result = Absolutely no way to load that image on pandora.

5] I tried Qemu manager on Windows 8.. same result as 4]

I'm getting to be really frustrated. Do i have to set up some extra parameter to mount virtual cd under W95 or what can be wrong? :/

What kind of cdrom image are you trying to mount?

Did you reinstall the pci busdrivers like mentioned on the wiki?

Is your cdromimage accessible in dos?

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of cdrom image are you trying to mount?

Did you reinstall the pci busdrivers like mentioned on the wiki?

Is your cdromimage accessible in dos?
I tried couple of iso files. Pci busdrivers was reinstalled and yes those images are working from dos.

Rather strange.

Are those mountable in qemu in Ubuntu or windows?

Edit: Have you loaded mscdex in autoexec.bat before starting windows 95?

This should help.

From the wiki:

Windows cannot find the mounted CD Image??

Solution=Install a MS-Dos CD-Rom Driver in your Image and let it load before Windows starting.

CD-ROM Support

To use cd images as CD-ROMS under MS-DOS 6 and above you need to do the following

Get the Ms CD extension (mscdex.exe) from here

You need a CD-ROM driver, there are several available, one that is known to work is "oakcdrom.sys"

Copy the both on your virtual disk, the following bulletpoints assumes that you put them both into "c:\dos", if not change the pathnames according to your choice

Put the following line in your config.sys : "DEVICEHIGH= C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001"

Put the following line in your autoexec.bat: "LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:E"

Some explanation to the above: the character string "MSCD001" is just id you can choose as you like, but it has to be identical in both files. The Parameter "L:E" associates the CD-ROM with the drive letter "E", this is optional.

I don't know. I already delete that virtual, but i can try that later today. Anyway those images are working on w95 on pandora installed from premade image as i said in 1). There must be something what i'm doing wrong :/ I'll understand if the cd drive would not be available at all, but why it disappear ofter i mount something...

It's working great thanks again. 

One more question. Is there some way how to fix mouse (touch screen) offset in qemu?

You should really read the wiki.

http://pandorawiki.org/QEMU#mw-mf-search

But short version here:

Not in Win95 but if you install Win98 you can use the usb tablet mode what fixes the offset.

Win95 hasn't got the HID drivers to work with the absolute pointing device emulation.

The additional parameter is -usbdevice tablet

You should really read the wiki.

http://pandorawiki.org/QEMU#mw-mf-search

But short version here:

Not in Win95 but if you install Win98 you can use the usb tablet mode what fixes the offset.

Win95 hasn't got the HID drivers to work with the absolute pointing device emulation.

The additional parameter is -usbdevice tablet
Thanks a lot. I actually read that a lot, i just did not get, that "tablet" is not working on W95.

But thanks, i'm glad that this awesome device have such great community :]

Back