Quake 0.03

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
This is a release for BoB users really as most of the updates are to do with usb and tv (only exception is the new letterbox mode). New features are - TV out support, letterbox mode for widescreen on a 4:3 display (looks really nice on the lcd), widescreen fov fix, scripts for setting common screen resolutions, and usb mouse and keyboard support.

Download from http://gp2x.sector808.org/quake.php until the archive is updated.

For the people that seem to be a bit dyslexic when it comes to the words 'read' and 'me', here are some of the important points -

The TV resolution that the gp2x sets is 720x288 (pal) or 720x240 (ntsc), not the normal 720x576 or 720x480. Because of the half height there's not much point trying to use a vertical resolution higher than this. As the horizontal resolution is 720 things will look a little better if the width of Quake is set to 360 instead of 320 (double pixels instead of pixel and a bit).

I've only been able to test widescreen letterbox as I don't own a fancy new widescreen TV, but I've included a 360x202 script that I think should give a 16:9 display. 360x202 certainly looks good in letterbox mode anyway, and 320x180 looks really good on the lcd.

USB keyboards should work but I may have got some of the keymapping wrong. If you notice anything strange let me know. USB mice will work but you should connect the mouse before running Quake (I don't think the keyboard is quite as picky). Quake uses the mouse for movement instead of looking, so to get a more normal mouse look control you should put +mlook into autoexec.cfg (a text file that goes in the id1 folder).

Enjoy :)

wow, thats amazing.
So are you able to set the tv mode to different resolutions or are we still dependant of what the fw set its to? It kind sounded like you have control over it?

The one thing im waiting for right now is for someone to reverse the tv chip so we can solder the other 3(?) wires to it and have vga out :)

*is ready to buy a bob as soon as the cased version is there*

This goes straight on my card when I get it. I can't order the GP2X until I know the card is coming (long story).

Vimacs posted on Aug 5 2006 at 03:00 AM said:
So are you able to set the tv mode to different resolutions or are we still dependant of what the fw set its to? It kind sounded like you have control over it?
I just use what SDL and the firmware gives me (720x288 or 720x240). SDL just scales whatever screen size you ask for to one of those resolutions.

Magnulus posted on Aug 5 2006 at 07:12 AM said:
So I suppose the letterboxing works well to reduce the stress on the processor?
It improves the speed a little bit as there's less being rendered, but the main reason it's there is because I really like widescreen :).

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Aug 5 2006 at 01:26 AM said:
The TV resolution that the gp2x sets is 720x288 (pal) or 720x240 (ntsc), not the normal 720x576 or 720x480. Because of the half height there's not much point trying to use a vertical resolution higher than this. As the horizontal resolution is 720 things will look a little better if the width of Quake is set to 360 instead of 320 (double pixels instead of pixel and a bit).
Well PAL is only really 288 lines anyway, just with a slight vertical offset between frames (ok fields, with two fields per frame). Wonder if you can tell which field it is displaying (odd/even) and adjust the framebuffer appropriately. Just thinking the GP2X would have been great for my PVR. If only it had USB2 so I could plug in my sky box!

Anyway thanks for the Quake update:)

Mark

these are indeed great news ;) but overclocking Quake through CPU-speed (script) makes this new version freeze a short time after starting new game... any idea why this happen?

*edit* it seems that speed was causing my gp2x to crash... still strange, since it usually goes up to 270, and i used to run quake at 266...

*re-edit* it might be interresting to add that the beginning demo does not freeze...

HELP - I can run v0.3 fine but I can't save - gives me

"Saving Game to ./ID1/s0.sav"
"Error: couldn't open"

Now "s0.sav" doesn't exist but I cna't find any documentation that tells me to create dummy files? I thought it may be a permission error etc. but doesn't hte GP2x mount the SD card as root?

To make matters worse my SDcard is fscked in my linux box, but using the same card reader etc. it works fine on my flatmate's windows PC i.e. I can't tweak linux permissions anymore

Oh for fuks sake my gp2x had to die

Just when I finally got the usb working awww mann its not fair

johannlo posted on Aug 7 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
HELP - I can run v0.3 fine but I can't save - gives me

"Saving Game to ./ID1/s0.sav"
"Error: couldn't open"

Now "s0.sav" doesn't exist but I cna't find any documentation that tells me to create dummy files? I thought it may be a permission error etc. but doesn't hte GP2x mount the SD card as root?

To make matters worse my SDcard is fscked in my linux box, but using the same card reader etc. it works fine on my flatmate's windows PC i.e. I can't tweak linux permissions anymore
Sounds like your card has become corrupt (the error isn't telling you that it expects a file to be there, it just means it can't open or create a file). Nothing has changed in the saving code and it still all works fine for me.

It does? cool :).

I'll look into it. I only ever test with the official menu because replacement launchers are pretty much useless to me until we get a seperate settings app that includes all the usb and tv stuff from gp2xmenu.

woogal posted on Aug 10 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
It does? cool :).

I'll look into it. I only ever test with the official menu because replacement launchers are pretty much useless to me until we get a seperate settings app that includes all the usb and tv stuff from gp2xmenu.

I guess it's to do with the menu replacement? Maybe the original menu resets the resolution when it restarts, and the replacement doesn't?

Don't need the BoB features, but I gotta say much thanks for the work you've done on this port! Just wondering if some of the bugs like seeing through walls and disappearing items are going to be looked into?

Back