Quake I Released

Sweet this is going to rock when I get my gp2x!

But... I don't understand what to put in the id1 folder. I downloaded the shareware quake, which has these 4 files "deice.exe install.bat resource.1 and resource.dat"
I can't really "install quake" because I am on a mac, do all I need is that resource.1 file? It seems to be where all the info is kept. You said something about a pak file too...

Sweet this is going to rock when I get my gp2x!

But... I don't understand what to put in the id1 folder. I downloaded the shareware quake, which has these 4 files "deice.exe install.bat resource.1 and resource.dat"
I can't really "install quake" because I am on a mac, do all I need is that resource.1 file? It seems to be where all the info is kept. You said something about a pak file too...
go to http://quake.pocketmatrix.com/download.php and download the shareware pak. You will download a file called pak0.pak.zip, which contains a file called pak0.pak.gz. Make sure you also extract that file so you end up with something called pak0.pak that is around 18mb, as this port can't read .gz files yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that page, but I really don't wanna pay that much for a pocket PC or PDA to play Quake 3. Not really into deathmatch-style play solo, especially without a mouse and keyboard, honestly.

Quake 2 will be good enough. Properly optimized, it would really do well on the GP2X, I'm sure. Quake 2 also had a good software renderer, if I remember correctly. There was also a version of it optimized for the AMD 3DNow! instruction set, so I'm thinking properly optimized for the ARM CPU's in the GP2X it would just sail.

I know, I'm going off topic here and this might be old, but Quake III Arena is playable at 25fps on a Dell AximX51v.

Please click HERE for more info. :)

Quake III is playable on that Dell Axim X51V, but the only reason for it to be playable is the fact that the Dell AximX51v has a 3D accelerator from PowerVR.

Yes guys and girls, PowerVR... The people that bought us the Kyro/KyroII for our desktops, the people who made the Dreamcast graphics engine, the people who through the years have built 3D accelerators for Sega Aracade machines. PowerVR is currently focused on 3D for mobile computing, but they have plans to develop a new chip for desktop further down the road.

PowerVR is known for their popular Tile-Base rendering, a technology that renders only what you see on the screen. And that is why the Dell Axim X51v can play Quake III at 25fps, and that is not enough it should be faster than that.

The GP2X on the other hand, does not have a 3D accelerator, this meas that 3d rendering has to be done through software(SDL maybe...), and as we all know the 2xARM CPUs are not enough to do 3d plus all other computation needed to run Quake3.

I am not saying it is impossible, there are some geniuses in this community, but it is very very very improbable that Quake III will ever run >10fps in the GP2X. I'll be glad if somebody could prove me wrong.

Or maybe somebody can make a guide on how to add a 3D accelerator to the GP2X, I can always heat up my soldering iron and get to work :p .

Quake III is playable on that Dell Axim X51V, but the only reason for it to be playable is the fact that the Dell AximX51v has a 3D accelerator from PowerVR.
Hmm, checked to be sure and Dell site says it contains an Intel 2700 G chipset... Did PowerVR work with Intel on that or something?
Still, wether it's from PowerVR or from Intel is kinda a moot point, it's still an accelerator chip that the GP2X doesn't have. I must say I'm surprised enough that work is being done on quake 2 though :D (edit: well to be honest quake 1 is already great to be able to play on a handheld :))

Intel licensed the MBX from PowerVR. Intel is basically putting PowerVR tecnology into silicon...

to confirm, Wikipedia says:
Code:
With the high end PC market secured by ATI and NVIDIA, PowerVR is now concentrating on the mobile market with its latest design, the low power PowerVR MBX which has become the de facto standard for mobile 3D, having been licensed by six of the top ten semiconductor manufacturers including Intel, Texas Instruments, Samsung, Philips, Freescale, Renesas, and Sunplus.

I can't wait to have my gp2x to play it :>

As Quake is free software, where can I
get the source, from which the gp2x
version is compiled?

I'd really like to have a look at it.

The GPL demands it, so I think he has no other choice :)

Thanks for the info anyway. I hope he'll release the
source soon, because i'd like to learn how to efficiently
port software to the GP2X

SirDzstic

Source is coming, don't worry. Haven't had access to the pc with the source on it yet which is why it's not available. Should be able to get it online tonight.

Great work.

Btw how much work will it be to port it to HH?

P.S.: Just to clear up a popular myth: The GPL demands that the source is made available upon request, which does not mean it has to be available for download right next to the binary :p

Great work.

Btw how much work will it be to port it to HH?

P.S.: Just to clear up a popular myth: The GPL demands that the source is made available upon request, which does not mean it has to be available for download right next to the binary :p
And the source must be available with no implied or actual cost incurred. Also, if you lose the source and can no longer distribute it, you cannot distribute the binary or you are in violation of the GPL. Just sayin :p

Back