Quake Live

MrPoletski

Still Fresh
http://www.quakelive.com/

I would test it here at work.. but I'm at work. I can't see why this wouldn't work on pandora, it's just a webpage and we have fully functioning firefox right?

No ARM support, so it wont work.
It's not technically just a webpage. You download the whole game too your hd. The plugin is just a launcher and too list/join servers.

The Unity web player plugin is pretty impressive, we could try going down that road

I don't know how responsive id will be but you could ask. As of late they are talking about dropping Linux support for their new games, this one was actually going to be a determiner if they would have Rage on Linux. If enough people play Quake live in Linux then they would port Rage to Linux. I played it a little but didn't see any advantage over openquake or any of it's variants. Alien Arena is probably the best of the bunch.

Even though were getting actual Quake on the Pandora, Quake live would still be a good port to have.

@exodous - It's got a really nice system for matching up people of the same play level. This means that we could play against the PC players without getting our buts kicked due to lacking a mouse and keyboard and we would have a hell of a lot more people to play against :)

OpenArena is not comparable with Quake 3 Arena art- or community-wise. Quake Live is a whole step further than Q3A with its matchmaking and countless servers. You cannot seriously suggest OpenArena as viable alternative.
PS: Quake 3 already runs on the Pandora, so there is no need for OpenArena unless you don't own Q3.

Quake Live is fine. But why not just play Q3 online?
I'm not sure if they're going to bother making it run on ARM cpus. Well, anything except iPhone (Seems to get running around the net that it will come out for iPhone).

OpenArena is good too. As for matchmaking services, yes. It's great. But I would rather have something fully installed, and play with via Network without needing to me online aswell. I like user created content aswell.

Q3 online is fine but I prefer Quake Live for the reasons I mentioned. You be glad. I will be sad because there is no chance in hell that id will port to ARM (Quake on the iPhone, haha).

Quake Live is really good because of the stat-tracking and match-making. I don't think it'll be ported to ARM.

Rage it was said would probably not have a Linux binary but one of the main Linux devs at id has said that he will do his best to get support for it.

You're not going to get QuakeLive, ever, as long as it's in the hands of Id. Id engines are littered with completely ridiculous x86 specific ASM code to speed up the rendering. There's a reason their engines will run on such crappy machines and it's not all just cutting corners with the actual effects they employ. That said, the porting of an Id tech engine would be completely out of the scope of what Id would be willing to do, simply because it's a way bigger pain in the arse than more generic code porting. (and not all x86 specific things are ASM either. A lot of optimization can be achieved by exploiting IEEE float representation)

Has anyone contacted teh Carmark yet? I mean, just getting a cellphone made him create WolfensteinRPG and DoomRPG and now they'Re even on iPhone! I guess a coding and gadget freak like him would be very interested by the Pandora.

Yeah, sure the marketing people will tell him to stop that and focus on Rage instead but still... this could give something :)

Even if Rage doesn't have a Linux binary, I think that Id would try to make it somewhat compatible with Wine. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

craigix said:
Id are well aware of the Pandora & ipad, if we could get some official action from them it would be superb.

Maybe now is the time to send them a dev unit Craig :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back