Surfing The Web

EvilDragon said:
Midori is implemented at the moment, yes.

I'll try if I could do some web surfing video soon.

First off, I will do PicoDrive with some shooter game, as some wanted to see how well the DPad works ;)
I look forward to both videos. I suggest M.U.S.H.A. on picodrive for a vert shooter. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
It's a 800 by 480 screen, so get a screen measuring device (Kruler is good in Linux) and resize your browser to 800 by 480.
It won't be luxorious like a 1920 by 1200 screen, but with small fonts and some scaling, it should work with any ordinary website.
You can pass the width and height parameters on the command line to start the window at 800x480, no ruler required.

EvilDragon said:

First off, I will do PicoDrive with some shooter game, as some wanted to see how well the DPad works ;)
Could the game please be Panorama Cotton? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0m0t7SWKyI

panorama-2.png

EvilDragon said:

Make it Mercs. That is probably the game I will be playing most, not just on Picodrive, but on the Pandora as a whole. I love that game.

I wonder if anyone has considered porting Firefox Mobile (Fennec) to it, afterall we have the touch screen, I know the Pandora is capable of using a far more powerful desktop-oriented browser though.

Dead1nside said:
I wonder if anyone has considered porting Firefox Mobile (Fennec) to it, afterall we have the touch screen, I know the Pandora is capable of using a far more powerful desktop-oriented browser though.

I had expressed interest in Fennec, especially after seeing it on the N900 on video. The gestural optimizations like clockwise/counterclockwise circular motion controlling zoom, looked really useful. And the Fennec experience on the N900 is one of the much lauded features of the N900. I don't know if that's just on the N900 or what, though. But in general, I do like the idea of a browser that displays websites like a desktop browser but is itself designed and optimized for a smaller screen.

Of course, it will be nice to have access to multiple browsers. I routinely use Chrome and Firefox at the same time.

I'm looking forward to ED's video, as always.

I'm way too addicted to Firefox to dump it. For me to not use it on the Pandora it has to be really slow and whatever other browser has to be really fast. Also, whatever I use has to have adblock or something like it.

cobaltage said:
Dead1nside said:

I had expressed interest in Fennec, especially after seeing it on the N900 on video. The gestural optimizations like clockwise/counterclockwise circular motion controlling zoom, looked really useful. And the Fennec experience on the N900 is one of the much lauded features of the N900. I don't know if that's just on the N900 or what, though. But in general, I do like the idea of a browser that displays websites like a desktop browser but is itself designed and optimized for a smaller screen.

Of course, it will be nice to have access to multiple browsers. I routinely use Chrome and Firefox at the same time.

I'm looking forward to ED's video, as always.

+1 , been using Fennec on my N800, while it was buggy (beta :) ) it did impresses me about the clever usage of the screen estate. I hope the final will be as good or better in that (and of course more stable).

Fennec's UI might be a good idea, but it's still too slow and buggy. I'd rather like to see a hacked Microb or Android browser for Pandora. Tear might also be a good candidate.

Edit:
Tear
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28539

This is relevant to my interests.

I'd also like to see page navigation by moving the stylus across the screen like the iPod touch and iPhone, as opposed to having to click on the scrolly bar on the right.

Certain extensions I really need, like Mozilla Weave the synchronisation extension and Adblock Plus both of which are supported on Fennec and Firefox obviously.

I'm too old and set in my ways to switch browsers now. I will probably use lynx even if it's not the prettiest option.

(but seriously, as long as I can use it with sitebar, we're at a good starting point)

I've actually been putting off buying a laptop based in large part on how well the pandora will satisfy my mobile internet needs. I'd be very interested in a web surfing demo and also a wifi test would be cool.

I'd like to know how the wifi compares to wifi on a typical smartphone in terms of strength and speed. Max d/l speeds would be particularly interesting to me.

What are the chances of mapping zoom and pan to the nubs? I think that would make for a very unique and slick web surfing experience.

I, too, would love to see a video concentrating on a bit of Web-browsing action. Along with video playback, web browsing is one of the main reasons I've preordered. I browse a lot using various browsers on my ageing N95-8GB, and I'd love to see how the Pandora handles websites in a bit more detail. (I gave up trying to watch videos on the phone after I realised how much of a pain in the arse it was/is.)

I know entirely that the Pandora is going to annihilate my phone in terms of render quality/time and general usability, I just want to see by how much, so I can be even more anxious to get my hands on my Pandora :D

We want a video showing the Pandora using a browser to post that same video on this thread. ;)

Even better if you can play the video so that it shows the same video playing on Pandora's screen. :lol:

Yoyobuae said:
We want a video showing the Pandora using a browser to post that same video on this thread. ;)

Even better if you can play the video so that it shows the same video playing on Pandora's screen. :lol:

But how is he going to post the video he's currently filming ;)
A live stream would be... rather awesome.

Vlynndar said:
Yoyobuae said:

But how is he going to post the video he's currently filming ;)
A live stream would be... rather awesome.
Confirmed: Pandora has time travel capabilities*

*it can travel forward in time at a rate of 1 second every second!

Back