"around 10+ Hours Battery Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
I dont believe that the pandora will really have 10 hours+ of battery life.
Maby when listening music on low cpu....but its impossible if you are surfing the web or playing games.

Why? becouse the pandora is really powerful in every piece of hardware, and becouse its as small as a DS.

And the ds got around 3 to 4 hours of battery life, with not much power consuming hardware.
Can i know how much Mah the battery contains? And how the heck it can contain 10 hours of battery life?

With this powerful stuff inside, i'd say it would get 4 hours of battery life at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
'borgqueenx' said:
Maby when listening music on low cpu....but its impossible if you are surfing the web or playing games.

Why? becouse the pandora is really powerful in every piece of hardware, and becouse its as small as a DS.

And the ds got around 3 to 4 hours of battery life, with not much power consuming hardware.
Can i know how much Mah the battery contains? And how the heck it can contain 10 hours of battery life?

With this powerful stuff inside, i'd say it would get 4 hours of battery life at most.
You have very bad reasoning skills.

First of all, the Pandora's battery dwarfs the DS's; It covers almost half the handheld. Second, running the SNES emu unoptimized we got 8.5 hours. (I don't remember if that was overclocked or not) The chip in the Pandora is made for cell phones, so it has to be power-efficient.

-God Ginrai

'borgqueenx' said:

There's a pretty huge battery in the back, as wide as the Pandora. It's 4000 mAh. There's built in energy saving and I read in an old thread that you can run a SNES emulator for 8.5h. If you're doing something less CPU demanding you should get 10h+. Someone mentioned 100h+ for listening to MP3s, that should be with the LCD off.

also playing mp3s etc.. more like 20-100 hours is expected

also that SNES emu was probaby unframlimited at the time so so would max out the CPU... it will probably run longer in real life with an optimised EMU

'borgqueenx' said:

Sounds like you used some pretty cutting edge, scientific, methods to come up with your 4 hour number - I'm suprised you aren't on the hardware dev team to be honest, as you seem to know far more than they do. Quite amazing really.

borgqueenx said:
Maby when listening music on low cpu
Actually, the theory is turn off everything possible (LCD, memory, main CPU), and use just the low power DSP processor for MP3 playback yielding a (optimistic) 100 hours of music on a single charge.

It's hardly impossible. Explain how my mobile phone can do ~5 hours on MeBoy (GB Emulator).

The chips in the DS aren't designed for power saving. The chips in the Pandora, (OMAP 3510?), are a new generation of chips designed to save a whole lot of power. The chip turns off areas that aren't in use, so if you're doing somthing like listening to MP3s, about 60% of the chip can be shut down.

Also, The DS battery was 850mAh. The Pandora is about four times that. So even if you consider their power draw equal and the DS can do 3 - 4 hours playing a game. The Pandora is already on 12 hours minimum. That's if you consider their power draw exactly equal.

ok, it is possible with a very large battery. but its hard to imagine, that something as big as a DS, with a battery as large as the half of the console, that it can have such powerful capabilities. I really have to see it myself :D and i will :D

That reminds me of the next question. i want to order one right now. is the mass production already started? can i order one? and when will i get one?
I've heard different things on this matter. Some people say i have to wait for a next "batch" and some say i can order one right now. but i also need to know when i will get one when i order.

I think it's too late. You can give it a try.

CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46424

Contact details are there, you can email them or call them. I would call them first and ask if they have any left in this batch. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait until the next batch. For that you're looking at 3 - 4 month.

'Butterman' said:
It's hardly impossible. Explain how my mobile phone can do ~5 hours on MeBoy (GB Emulator).

The chips in the DS aren't designed for power saving. They are ARM. But the chips in the Pandora, (OMAP 3510?), are a new generation of chips designed to save a whole lot of power. The chip turns off areas that aren't in use, so if you're doing somthing like listening to MP3s, about 60% of the chip can be shut down.

Also, The DS battery was 850mAh. The Pandora is about four times that. So even if you consider their power draw equal and the DS can do 3 - 4 hours playing a game. The Pandora is already on 24 hours minimum. That's if you consider their power draw exactly equal.
First of all, the OMAP chip is centered around an ARM processor, so you're wrong about the DS chips not being designed for power saving. It's just because of their age, the fact they have to power 2 screens, and the size of the battery. (which is tiny) Also, I don't know this for sure, but isn't the DS's wifi chip always on?

-God Ginrai

First batch, about 4000, is sold out. Delivery perhaps Apr-May, depends on delays. There should be a 2nd preorder around the time of shipment for the next batch. After that is anyones guess.

'Butterman' said:
I think it's too late. You can give it a try.

CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46424
Contact details are there, you can email them or call them. I would call them first and ask if they have any left in this batch. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait until the next batch. For that you're looking at 3 - 4 month.

Craig said that they're still working out ordering for some people and that if you want to place a new order more or less immediately, it's still possible. Just send an email to the sales team (contact info should be in the link above) and let them know that you'd like to order one. If that's still a possibility, they'll give you the information you need.

'borgqueenx' said:
ok, it is possible with a very large battery. but its hard to imagine, that something as big as a DS, with a battery as large as the half of the console, that it can have such powerful capabilities. I really have to see it myself :D and i will :D
Believe it or not, electronics get better with each generation.
The battery has both more volume and a higher energy density than the DS', and the chips have both more computational power and a lower electrical power requirement.

Comparing it to the DS really isn't fair, the DS is like 6 years old. .. Like 4 years... The DS is really old as far as electronics go.

'God Ginrai' said:
'Butterman' said:

The chips in the DS aren't designed for power saving. They are ARM. But the chips in the Pandora, (OMAP 3510?), are a new generation of chips designed to save a whole lot of power. The chip turns off areas that aren't in use, so if you're doing somthing like listening to MP3s, about 60% of the chip can be shut down.

Also, The DS battery was 850mAh. The Pandora is about four times that. So even if you consider their power draw equal and the DS can do 3 - 4 hours playing a game. The Pandora is already on 24 hours minimum. That's if you consider their power draw exactly equal.
First of all, the OMAP chip is centered around an ARM processor, so you're wrong about the DS chips not being designed for power saving. It's just because of their age, the fact they have to power 2 screens, and the size of the battery. (which is tiny) Also, I don't know this for sure, but isn't the DS's wifi chip always on?

-God Ginrai

Yeah, I understand how you saw that I said the ARM chips aren't for power saving. What I was meaning to say was that both chips are ARM. I've corrected it.

2 years is a very long time when it comes to electronics. CPUs for example should have at least doubled their power in that time thanks to shrinking sizes. I wonder if the old saying of 2 times the power every 18 months still apply? Smaller manufacturing sizes also consumes less power. Then add improved energy saving technology.

The pandora has a gigantic battery (it takes up most of the case, and is about the same capacity as some laptop batteries), a processor optimized for power efficiency, and good power management.

(Also, the DS gets about 8 hours when I've been playing it. You need to replace your DS battery; it's probably getting worn out.)

'atomicthumbs' said:
The pandora has a gigantic battery (it takes up most of the case, and is about the same capacity as some laptop batteries), a processor optimized for power efficiency, and good power management.

(Also, the DS gets about 8 hours when I've been playing it. You need to replace your DS battery; it's probably getting worn out.)
yeah when i play metroid prime hunters it is drained in 3 hours, after a full recharge.

I send a email, lets hope i get a pandora as well:)
it would be the crown in my handheld console collection :) (however the psp is a very nice homebrew console as well)

Awakening said:
I wonder if the old saying of 2 times the power every 18 months still apply?
Moore made the comment that transistors seemed to be getting half the size every 18 months, or more simply, that they were fitting twice as many transistors into the same size chip. His "law" never said anything about speed, the masses have simply taken it to mean that.
On a side note, while it was originally only an observation about past growth in the earlier days of transistor technology, it's proven to be quite a fitting law; more of a self fulfilling prophecy, actually. Because of the original observation, chip manufacturers have been pushed to keep up with the expectation, lest they fall behind their competition, who are also pushing to keep up with the same expectation.
If no one had made the observation, transistor shrinkage probably would have decelerated long ago.

I don't know if it's acurate but googling gave me that the ds has only 850mAh so less then a quarter of the pandoras battery. Furthermore it has (like stated before) two screens, it is older ( more µm -> more heat -> less efficient) and it's got two processors for Nintendo DS and GBA games (don't know if they're allways both running).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back