Question About Emulators

DanielsanX7

Still Fresh
I would like to buy this but first i want to ask if the emulators come with this already set up? do i have to download the emulators and roms. is it hard to do that? because i know its hard to do it with PSP and you can mess up the whole PSP if you do it the wrong way. So is this easy?
Thanks!

The GP2X comes with a handful of games preinstalled, but no emulators (and most certainly no ROMs!)

If sourcing, downloading and extracting files to the right directories is a problem, you probably don't want the GP2X. Emus do generally work straight away once they're on the SD card, but you have to source your ROMs (and the occasional BIOS) separately.

If this is the difficult PSP procedure you're referring to, then I'm about to get blunt. Forget the GP2X, unmod your PSP, and put on a safety helmet. There are directory structures out there, you must be careful.

I have everything running from multiple SD cards, no mods to the GP2X at all.

You WILL have to set up each emulator but it should run right after being unzipped.
No emulator comes with ANY roms (unless they are legal) and you need not ask in the forums.

It is not difficult to set up. Some are harder than others. Use a sensible naming convention for your directory structure to keep stuff organized. The GP2X creates game/music/ebook/movie/photo from it's menu, so I use the game section to put all my emulators in.

When you pull out the SD you have a default system again. There are, however, no guarantees since any third party app, whether emulator or game, could potentially destroy your files. The system can be restored if that ever happens.

It's very easy. Just download the emulator to your SD card and that's it.

Gruso - that PSP article you linked to does make it sound oh so easy. But it's not.

Notice the "V1.0 Sony PSP" quote at the top - it's pretty much impossible to get hold of a V1.0 PSP now, as Sony regularly updates its firmware.

To enable homebrew, including emulators etc. you have to downgrade your PSP using a pretty tricky method to create what is known as a Pandora battery and Magic Memory stick, which can easily cause your PSP to become a "brick" Following careful instructions and a Tool battery, it's easier, but still risky.

Thankfully the GP2X suffers from no such hardships - just grab an emu of choice, and a load of ROMs, slap them on an SD card and you're laughing (pretty much) all the way back to yesteryear and the games we all played in our youth. :)

It is a piece of cake. A great big piece of chocolate cake :D

iprice said:
Gruso - that PSP article you linked to does make it sound oh so easy. But it's not.

Notice the "V1.0 Sony PSP" quote at the top - it's pretty much impossible to get hold of a V1.0 PSP now, as Sony regularly updates its firmware.

To enable homebrew, including emulators etc. you have to downgrade your PSP using a pretty tricky method to create what is known as a Pandora battery and Magic Memory stick, which can easily cause your PSP to become a "brick" Following careful instructions and a Tool battery, it's easier, but still risky.

Thankfully the GP2X suffers from no such hardships - just grab an emu of choice, and a load of ROMs, slap them on an SD card and you're laughing (pretty much) all the way back to yesteryear and the games we all played in our youth. :)

It is a piece of cake. A great big piece of chocolate cake :D
Seconded - i messed up a psp battery trying to make a pandora battery. Followed all the instructions etc (using my second homebrew psp) literally exactly as stated an ended up with a battery that fails to start any psp. However, once you get CF running on PSP and have a basic idea how to get emulators and homebrew running the results are as ggod if not better than GP2X in some cases .

For complete newbies though, GP2X is MUCH easier to get emulators running IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
GP2X is simple. Drag'n'drop stuff onto the SD card.

I made my own folders...then noticed that the GP2X also made folders, so I moved everything into those. It worked perfectly fine in both locations. ;)

GP2X is much easier to set up for emulation but uses AA batteries and is a bit slower on some things, namely SNES emulation.

PSP is a lot harder, but uses the rechargeable battery pack and is faster with SNES emulation.

It's all dependent on your needs, really. I own an F100 myself (the one with the analog-ish control pad) and it's fantastic for playing genesis games on PicoDrive.

Back