Question about ext plugin

delicator

Still Fresh
in the wiki, we found this

up to two externally accessible UARTs and/or four PWM signals for hardware hacking, robot control, debugging, etc.

It's the connector wich use to tv out ?

I read a topic in the "ask craig section" about the connector to do some cable to use serial port, i can be interested on that for work on swithc, routers...

But, I need more info, what can we do with this output ?

(I can use iron soldering, to do whatever i need, yes really ^^)

We can imagine cable like universal charger for notbook, with one side connector for the back of pandora, and other side connector for plugin all other output possible with the pandora

(if something is not clear beacause of my english, I'll try to be more accurate)

Last edited by a moderator:
the most important part of my post is the question :

What can we do with this output ?

It has two serial ports. You can use these to communicate with other devices that also have serial ports, such as your computer. A lot of other computerized devices out there use serial ports for communication as well. One of the serial ports makes some kind of comment about infrared communication: you can, in theory, turn it into a programmable remote control, or use it for a lot of other things that use infrared signals to communicate.

It has a video and line level audio out. These are available on the soon coming TV cable, as well.

It also has line level audio in. This is different from microphone input. If you're an "audiophile" who wants to do portable recording and editing with your Pandora, the audio in and out on this port will be a major feature.

In addition it also sports several General Purpose Input/Output lines. You can write software to read or write directly to these pins, using them as additional buttons, or connect LEDs to them for status, or connect them to another project to be used as switches.

Finally, there are a few pins called PWM. That basically means they are brightness control for LEDs. Unlike the GPIO which are either on or off, these can be dimmed, if you want them to be.

So lots of things you can do, if you have the interest and the knowledge to build them.

It has two serial ports. You can use these to communicate with other devices that also have serial ports, such as your computer. A lot of other computerized devices out there use serial ports for communication as well. One of the serial ports makes some kind of comment about infrared communication: you can, in theory, turn it into a programmable remote control, or use it for a lot of other things that use infrared signals to communicate.

It has a video and line level audio out. These are available on the soon coming TV cable, as well.

It also has line level audio in. This is different from microphone input. If you're an "audiophile" who wants to do portable recording and editing with your Pandora, the audio in and out on this port will be a major feature.

In addition it also sports several General Purpose Input/Output lines. You can write software to read or write directly to these pins, using them as additional buttons, or connect LEDs to them for status, or connect them to another project to be used as switches.

Finally, there are a few pins called PWM. That basically means they are brightness control for LEDs. Unlike the GPIO which are either on or off, these can be dimmed, if you want them to be.

So lots of things you can do, if you have the interest and the knowledge to build them.

Thanks !

The serial port interest me to do console with network device

Two serial ports, but, two at the same time ? I don't know number of pin in this connector

14 pins. Not all the GPIO and serial ports can be used at the same time, you need to do some configuration. There are the video and audio pins, and then 6 configurable pins which are used for the serial ports and GPIO lines. You can have two serial ports, or one serial port and 3 I/O lines, or no serial ports and 6 I/O lines.

14 pins. Not all the GPIO and serial ports can be used at the same time, you need to do some configuration. There are the video and audio pins, and then 6 configurable pins which are used for the serial ports and GPIO lines. You can have two serial ports, or one serial port and 3 I/O lines, or no serial ports and 6 I/O lines.

it's greater than i imagine

if someone read this and use serial port, i wish he share the experience :)

Back