Question About The Wiz Scaling.

sm1988

Still Fresh
I am sure you all know that alot of emulators have to be "smooshed" down to fit the screen of the gba and ds.so with the wiz having such a small screen will that have to be done? there is going to be some sort of scaling engine isn't there? man i hope. and on a side note does anybody have any new insight on the tv out?

Wiz have 320x240 resolution that is enogh for gba emulation and e.t.c.

sm1988 said:
I am sure you all know that alot of emulators have to be "smooshed" down to fit the screen of the gba and ds.so with the wiz having such a small screen will that have to be done? there is going to be some sort of scaling engine isn't there? man i hope. and on a side note does anybody have any new insight on the tv out?
It's not the size of the screen but the resolution which is important. GBA and DS both have unusual resolutions which aren't ideal for most emulators (gba 240x144, DS 256 x 192). The Wiz however has a resolution of 320x240 which is great for the vast majority of emulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aahh I see I figured there shouldnt be a problem Thanks does anybody have any info or speculations on the tv out yet?

To me the best scaling is the software type that only does it in one direction. You don't use any of the scaling hardware in the system to do it. Usually the hardware doing it in a generic way looks poor. It either looks blocky and uneven, or it looks blurry and loses contrast/detail.

GPFCE, Picodrive, and CPS2 emus use the software type now on the GP2X. What it does is just average the horizontal pixels as needed and leaves the rest alone. This can be used for all of the systems that used to connect to a TV. SNES could use it on the GP2X but doesn't as this method does use a little CPU time to do. That is the disadvantage is that it is not "free" for the CPU. On the Wiz that shouldn't be a problem though due to the faster clock.

DaveC said:
SNES could use it on the GP2X but doesn't as this method does use a little CPU time to do. That is the disadvantage is that it is not "free" for the CPU. On the Wiz that shouldn't be a problem though due to the faster clock.
Can't you dedicate the other CPU core to handle the scaling?

OogyBoogy said:
Very few people used the 940t for anything but i believe there are some sort of memory issues with fighting between the 920 and 940t.

OogyBoogy said:
DaveC said:
SNES could use it on the GP2X but doesn't as this method does use a little CPU time to do. That is the disadvantage is that it is not "free" for the CPU. On the Wiz that shouldn't be a problem though due to the faster clock.

It'll still use precious memory bandwidth, for a task that requires a lot of it.

Back