Question About Wiz Screen...

'Chip' said:
The display isn't "broken", it just wasn't designed to be used in landscape mode. Either GPH didn't do enough research when they sourced the part, or they didn't think it was a big enough issue to use something else.
Probably the second scenario - didn't think it mattered. Afterall, they also didn't think having 2 cross pads mattered in a gaming device. >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
'Chip' said:
The display isn't "broken", it just wasn't designed to be used in landscape mode.
Yeah it does, or it wouldn't have that mode in the first place. If there a bug affecting performance in that particular mode then it should be documented.

Yech, bummer!

Methinx I'll wait for the mk2 version and see if it's still broken.

'migo' said:
What exactly is screen tearing?
I don't own a WIZ, but my understanding of it is:

Imagine that the screen is made of two triangles - their longest edges being the diagonal from one corner of the screen to the other. Now imagine that in a fast-action game one of the triangles gets the current display, and the other gets the display from one frame behind.

When the images are updated slowly, you get a reasonably smooth picture. However, when fast action occurs, the screen is updated every frame and so you get a visible diagonal "tear" or line on the screen because one half is always behind the other half.

Trust me, it will get very annoying in fast scrolling games.

D.

Again, I have managed to play sonic without even remembering it was there (I guess I just got used to it). Maybe if you are all OCD about it then it will be an issue.

<OT tangent>Personally I can't wait to see the screen. I've never owned an OLED screen, so it'll be a personal first. I remember when I first got my gp32 I was blown away by the LCD (yeah, I was a late adopter), Sony PRS-500 didn't quite have the same impression, but it was good for the manga I read on it. Definitely an improvement on a LCD standing in front of you on a table.
</OT>

So my point is: Give me a new screen tech over incremental processing power increases any day.

I was reading this and I was wondering how long you guys think it will take for them to release the 2nd edition?

I'm slightly confused as they seem to be a) saying they will put in a new screen and b ) are talking about wifi now, so is the wiz really still on for the end of the month?

'craigix' said:
I'm slightly confused as they seem to be a) saying they will put in a new screen and b ) are talking about wifi now, so is the wiz really still on for the end of the month?
... What?

Craig's probably referring to this topic:

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47433

'Dunny' said:
'migo' said:
What exactly is screen tearing?
I don't own a WIZ, but my understanding of it is:

Imagine that the screen is made of two triangles - their longest edges being the diagonal from one corner of the screen to the other. Now imagine that in a fast-action game one of the triangles gets the current display, and the other gets the display from one frame behind.

When the images are updated slowly, you get a reasonably smooth picture. However, when fast action occurs, the screen is updated every frame and so you get a visible diagonal "tear" or line on the screen because one half is always behind the other half.

Trust me, it will get very annoying in fast scrolling games.

D.

That makes sense. What I'm confused about now is how switching from landscape to portrait or vice versa would fix this.

Back