Why This Over Psp And Ds.

SalemTheCat

Still Fresh
I've just learned about the GP2X Wiz around a day ago, and it looks pretty cool, but at $180 I don't see what it has that a PSP doesn't.

I heard the PSP has pretty good emulation, and that's the main thing I would use the Wiz for.

It seems to me that the Wiz would offer allot more free gameplay, since most of the programs I've looked at are shareware, and I like the idea of buying something a bit different, but what makes the Wiz better than a PSP?

If you're buying a new PSP, good luck putting anything Sony doesn't want you to on it (unless you happen to get a non-TA83v3 motherboard PSP-2000). It's a constant ongoing battle against them and right now they're ahead.

Other than that, I think Wiz should offer somewhat better performance in emulation, and probably somewhat more/better emulators in the long run. But we'll see.

Exophase said:
If you're buying a new PSP, good luck putting anything Sony doesn't want you to on it (unless you happen to get a non-TA83v3 motherboard PSP-2000). It's a constant ongoing battle against them and right now they're ahead.

Other than that, I think Wiz should offer somewhat better performance in emulation, and probably somewhat more/better emulators in the long run. But we'll see.
How much investment would I be expected to make after buying the actual Wiz? I'm kind of assuming most of the Wiz content is free, but I don't really know much about it.

I really don't want to buy a bunch of expensive games, so if the Wiz provides allot of features without much extra investment, that's definately the one I'd choose. The pandora looks cool, but outside of being able to emulate PC-games I can't see a reason to spend the extra $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wiz is open source, most of the games/apps etc that you can get for it are free. And contrary to popular belief, homebrew games are really quite awesome :)

Emulation on the Wiz would be reatively superior to that of the PSP since it is a challenge to utilize the whole PSP for anything that Sony doesn't like.

Peter R said:
aaron11193 said:
homebrew games are really quite awesome :)
Having written one I can vouch for this statement. :p.

Same here, but to be honest Ruckage is the leader in homebrew games. Imagine the result of him plus a damn good 3D game dev plus pro musician :) I would love to see that happen!

SalemTheCat said:
I've just learned about the GP2X Wiz around a day ago, and it looks pretty cool, but at $180 I don't see what it has that a PSP doesn't.

I heard the PSP has pretty good emulation, and that's the main thing I would use the Wiz for.

It seems to me that the Wiz would offer allot more free gameplay, since most of the programs I've looked at are shareware, and I like the idea of buying something a bit different, but what makes the Wiz better than a PSP?

Will the GP2X games be compatible on the WIZ? The only thing I'm afraid of, is that everyone will go buy a Pandora and there won't be many programs for a Wiz, and there's very little chance I would get a Pandora.

Wait a couple of months after the Wiz has been released then decide. If you can't wait that long and are confident about getting homebrew onto the PSP, get a PSP.

SalemTheCat said:
Will the GP2X games be compatible on the WIZ?
No, they'll need to be recompiled. Porting any GP2X stuff that's open source, or was written by a developer who's still around and interested will be easy though, so I reckon the Wiz will start with a very strong software library :)

The Wiz is smaller, open source, and probably has a better battery life(? - I don't know how the current PSP models are, but the old ones were terrible).

GunPei2X said:
probably has a better battery life
I doubt that rumored 7hours of wiz (from faq on gp2xwiz.com) will beat DS battery live.

quasist said:
GunPei2X said:
I doubt that rumored 7hours of wiz (from faq on gp2xwiz.com) will beat DS battery live.

7... hours...

I heard 5.

PSP can do better than 5 if it's running homebrew. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad.

Exophase said:
quasist said:
GunPei2X said:

7... hours...

I heard 5.

PSP can do better than 5 if it's running homebrew. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad.

Yeah on my first run Japanese launch PSP I get 5 hours with UMD games and emulators running at regular clock speed. A lot of battery life also depends on the LCD brightness on the psp. Level 3 and 4 brightness will almost cut the time down an extra hour from what I've seen. Anyways if you don't want to wait for the Wiz or see it as a handheld you want, then get a PSP. It's great for emulation, but I feel that the Wiz like Exophase said could be better in the long run. If you do decide to get a PSP get at least a PSP 2000 lite model. You're going to run into trouble of trying to run homebrew on the new PSP 3000 models. Also as others have said, the homebrew games on the GP2X were quite amazing, and a lot of good ones are being ported by devs for the Wiz. I've seen a couple youtube clips of some new homebrew games that are eventually going to be on the Wiz and I'm really excited about the new handeld. I'd personally just be patient and wait.

geise69 said:
Exophase said:
quasist said:
GunPei2X said:

7... hours...

I heard 5.

Yeah on my first run Japanese launch PSP I get 5 hours with UMD games and emulators running at regular clock speed. A lot of battery life also depends on the LCD brightness on the psp. Level 3 and 4 brightness will almost cut the time down an extra hour from what I've seen. Anyways if you don't want to wait for the Wiz or see it as a handheld you want, then get a PSP. It's great for emulation, but I feel that the Wiz like Exophase said could be better in the long run. If you do decide to get a PSP get at least a PSP 2000 lite model. You're going to run into trouble of trying to run homebrew on the new PSP 3000 models. Also as others have said, the homebrew games on the GP2X were quite amazing, and a lot of good ones are being ported by devs for the Wiz. I've seen a couple youtube clips of some new homebrew games that are eventually going to be on the Wiz and I'm really excited about the new handeld. I'd personally just be patient and wait.

I think I'll just wait for the Wiz to come out. All I really want to do is play homebrew games and use emulators, and it sounds like that's what the Wiz is made for. From what I've heard, Sony is in a constant struggle to stop homebrew and emulation.

The only real question becomes "Wiz or Pandora?", but I'd rather spend $180 than $330, so I'll just put my faith in the Wiz.

SalemTheCat said:
so I'll just put my faith in the Wiz.
Faith is only for 330$ whore, put the SD card in Wiz instead.

The big difference about the Wiz and Pandora against the PSP is that the manufacturer helps to the homebrew programmers. You don't have to change the firmware and violate the license to make (or to run) a program for your console, and you don't have to pay millions to Sony to obtain a developer kit.

PSP is good and powerful, but is a big console and the future of homebrew is not clear, maybe your program will not works in the new consoles. This not happens in open source consoles. Most of the programs in this consoles are freeware (take a look to the great GP2X catalog), and you will see commercial programs too.

The decission depends in your needs. If you like commercial games buy a PSP, if you want to get control of your machine, develop or enjoy community apps buy a Wiz or a Pandora.

The main reason I'm looking at the Wiz over the PSP and the DS is the screen. Sunlight viewability is a big deal for me. I've got a PS2 at home, and my laptop's good enough to play Oblivion, so I'd only be playing a portable when I'm on the go. If sunlight makes it wash out, then it's pretty useless for me.

For the PSP what I've gathered is you need an early model PSP-2000. The PSP-1000 has 32MB of RAM instead of 64MB in the PSP-2000/3000. That somewhat narrows things down. I wouldn't be interested in a PSP for official games - I tried Ape Escape at Best Buy, and I went through multiple loading screens just to get started. I can tolerate load times on a home console, but a portable should really be pick up and play.

I haven't done a huge amount of research on the DS, however I think I'd prefer it over the PSP, so the question would be DS vs Wiz. I haven't read anything to suggest the DS has good sunlight viewability though, so Wiz still comes out ahead there.

I guess whether the Wiz is good for you depends on what you think is most important.

migo said:
I wouldn't be interested in a PSP for official games - I tried Ape Escape at Best Buy, and I went through multiple loading screens just to get started. I can tolerate load times on a home console, but a portable should really be pick up and play.
It's not as if all games have bad loading problems. You can even play games off of a memory stick, both officially and unofficially.

I searched and read pages of info when deciding I needed a handheld gaming device.

At first I tried adding games to my blackberry and found that to be limited...

The psp was at the top of my list and until I realised how much work is involved in playing homebrews and non commercial games. the psp I was looking at was the PSP 2000 model.

After this I moved onto looking at the DS lite and couldn't fault the system at all, easy to load homebrew and excellent battery life etc etc.

In the end I bought a Gameboy Micro! why? because I wanted something to play on the 40 minute bus journey I make twice a day to get to work. anythiing bigger than the micro was not ideal. GBA roms and a select few emus work great!

I will definitely get the wiz if the size is good otherwise not.

The pandora is too much like a laptop for me to bother with it.

Back