Question On Ordering Board Only

second exodous

Advanced Member
Ok, I've been turning off my computer every night and when I'm not using it and my power bill has gone down considerably. However, I like to have my computer on to do quick searches, send a quick im, and download stuff. I was thinking of getting either a Beagle Board or going for a gumstix computer just to leave on for the net and probably never turn on my PC for days at a time, I think in the long run this would save power and I would still be able to leave a computer on.

Anyway, I remember way back when Craig talked about selling either just the board or a small box with the board in it. I'm debating on buying a Pandora board to support the project. I'll defiantly wait till I use my Pandora for a while before I make my decision, both about getting an on-all-the-time ARM net machine and which board to get. If my Pandora does everything I want it to then I'll go for it but I don't want to use my Pandora for this because it will be with me and not left at home.

I think the thread was on the other board and that's why I couldn't find it. Is the OP team still thinking of selling a screen-less control-less box or naked board? I like that idea of a Pandora board because it has two SD slots and already has BT and wifi so I wouldn't need to worry about drivers but I don't get the HDMI port. If I go gumstix I get BT and wifi but only one mini SD slot but I get a HDMI port. BB I'll have to buy a USB wifi and BT adapter but get the HDMI port.

I don't know yet if I want to do this though, my monitor is a 1080p monitor so it won't fill the screen. My monitor can't display lower resolutions and fill the screen, I'm not sure if every LCD is like this or just mine. So to that end maybe I'll get a small monitor or screen anyway. My TV is 720p so that is no problem, I'll be able to use a BB or gumstix on it.

Is anyone else thinking of doing a setup like this or just waiting until someone makes a box/handheld that can do this? Also, is the OP team thinking of selling a naked board later on?

It seems to me that less purpose-built ARM devices don't have truly stable OS's. Judging by the hassle to get Linux running properly on a Beagle, I'd probably just go x86.

http://ncix.com/prod...anufacture=ASUS

Ion platform seems nice. Even has video acceleration under Linux. (VDPAU)

And you can have it as a backup gaming PC. Since it's dual-core, it's fast enough to double as a NAS plus whatever. NAS/HTPC, HTPC/light-Gaming, HTPC/Compiling. (maybe)

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting a Beagle. :p

Kramy said:
It seems to me that less purpose-built ARM devices don't have truly stable OS's. Judging by the hassle to get Linux running properly on a Beagle, I'd probably just go x86.

http://ncix.com/prod...anufacture=ASUS

Ion platform seems nice. Even has video acceleration under Linux. (VDPAU)

And you can have it as a backup gaming PC. Since it's dual-core, it's fast enough to double as a NAS plus whatever. NAS/HTPC, HTPC/light-Gaming, HTPC/Compiling. (maybe)

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting a Beagle. :p
Eh, looking at the power requirements I still would like to go ARM, like I said, I will use my Pandora before I decide to go ARM, but I think the trouble is worth it for the size/power consumption. I'm also a 100% Linux user, my computers only run it, and I fix my parents mac every once in a while. Well, my sister has a XP box that I fix all the time. Point is I'm more comfortable with Linux than anything else so I think I could handle it.

Gruso said:
Here's the thread I think you mean (Pandora "Cube" discussion): http://www.gp32x.de...showtopic=48106

And yeah, I'd still buy one.
Gosh, I could not remember 'Pandora Cube' at all and everything I searched for turned up a million hits. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kramy said:
It seems to me that less purpose-built ARM devices don't have truly stable OS's. Judging by the hassle to get Linux running properly on a Beagle, I'd probably just go x86.(...)

What hassle? There are premade images that can be simply copied on an SD card, and even building an image from scratch isn't that hard, as long as one is able to follow some documentation and has a little linux experience.

Anyway, another interesting board is the hawkboard, which is going to include sata and eth, but I would stay quite clear of x86 and its huge power requirements.

valhalla said:
What hassle?
I don't know, because I don't have one. But I've seen many unhappy threads from people that discovered it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Good thing there's an IRC channel for when you get stuck. :p

And last time I looked, stuff like video acceleration wasn't guaranteed to work smoothly

valhalla said:
I would stay quite clear of x86 and its huge power requirements.

Depends on what your goal is. A beagle would be less usable to me than an Ion board. For exodous, perhaps that's different.

Yes, it consumes more power. Perhaps as much as 20-30 watts. That's still less than an average lightbulb, and you get more processing power to go with it. ;)

Kramy said:
valhalla said:
I would stay quite clear of x86 and its huge power requirements.

Depends on what your goal is. A beagle would be less usable to me than an Ion board. For exodous, perhaps that's different.

Yes, it consumes more power. Perhaps as much as 20-30 watts. That's still less than an average lightbulb, and you get more processing power to go with it. ;)
Well, literally %99 of the time I don't need anything but a processor that can handle chat, a web browser, and a media player for .mkv and .ogg. I'm just beginning to think that I'm wasting a lot of power using a PC for that stuff when all I really need it for is encoding CDs/DVDs and playing games. CDs and DVDs that's about once a month if that and games it's usually only on the weekends at the most. I just think it's a waste of energy, even when I turn it off when I'm not using it I could do that with ARM and save more power. Main reason that I want to do it is so I don't feel guilty when I leave it on though.

Like the Pandora, other ARM powered devices for general computing have been delayed. There is a bunch of devices about to flood the market in 2010. ARM powered Smartbooks(Qualcomm marketing term for ARM netbooks) and ARM powered nettops. You will get those nettops for as little as $150 or less including OS. If I was in MWeston's shoes I would dismiss the idea of a Pandora cube and focus on Pandora 2 when he's in a creative mood. Not much money to earn if you have to compete with the big players.

I for myself would stay x86 unless the power consumption of ARM when always-on is waaaay less than that of ION/Atom NetTop.

Anyone can post an estimate comparing how much power would an ION based Atom N270/Atom N330 NetTop draw compared to let's say the Beagle board? (and do we expect a monitor-less Pandora board to consume more/less power than the Beagle board itself?)

sehs33 said:
I for myself would stay x86 unless the power consumption of ARM when always-on is waaaay less than that of ION/Atom NetTop.

Anyone can post an estimate comparing how much power would an ION based Atom N270/Atom N330 NetTop draw compared to let's say the Beagle board? (and do we expect a monitor-less Pandora board to consume more/less power than the Beagle board itself?)

Zareason claims 22 watts for the N230. If you want the dual-core 330, it'd probably be a few watts more.

http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16205

second exodous said:
Well, literally %99 of the time I don't need anything but a processor that can handle chat, a web browser, and a media player for .mkv and .ogg. I'm just beginning to think that I'm wasting a lot of power using a PC for that stuff when all I really need it for is encoding CDs/DVDs and playing games. CDs and DVDs that's about once a month if that and games it's usually only on the weekends at the most. I just think it's a waste of energy, even when I turn it off when I'm not using it I could do that with ARM and save more power. Main reason that I want to do it is so I don't feel guilty when I leave it on though.
My BeagleBoard has been my primary (casual) computer for months. I flip on my desktop when I get home, of course, but my beagleboard is always running, and my web browser and chat sessions are up and waiting. Between ssh and vnc, I can also access it anywhere.
So long as you don't open more than 3 or 4 tabs, it works great. Anything over 720p seems to be just outside of reach at the moment, but otherwise it plays everything. I'm hoping that changes eventually.
Unfortunately I shipped it to the Beagle hospital. Now I am sad. :( Get well soon, little computer.

WizardStan said:
second exodous said:
My BeagleBoard has been my primary (casual) computer for months. I flip on my desktop when I get home, of course, but my beagleboard is always running, and my web browser and chat sessions are up and waiting. Between ssh and vnc, I can also access it anywhere.
So long as you don't open more than 3 or 4 tabs, it works great. Anything over 720p seems to be just outside of reach at the moment, but otherwise it plays everything. I'm hoping that changes eventually.
Unfortunately I shipped it to the Beagle hospital. Now I am sad. :( Get well soon, little computer.
Encouraging, if my Pandora experience goes well I'm going to go for it. I don't have an arm computer right now, I was going to get a Touch Book but couldn't justify the money right now.

I'm eying the gumstix, Overo™ Fire with the Tobi. That adds up to $290 so like I said I need to see how the Pandora goes for me and see if the naked Pandora boards or Pandora Cube become a reality. Also, I want someone to get either Gentoo or Ubuntu running rock solid and post an image for whatever board I do get before I invest anything.

I built an ION-based computer for the exact concerns you mentioned. I did the math, and leaving my beastly desktop on 24/7 would cost me roughly $40 a month, where the ION desktop I built (for around $300 at newegg -- you could build one for less, though, since I put a dual-core Atom 330, 2GB memory and a 1TB HDD in mine to use it as a HTPC as well) should only cost $4 a month. It should pay for itself relatively quickly, and I get the added bonus of the HTPC bit of it.

PS: If the HTPC side of things appeals to you, I would HIGHLY recommend the Zotac ION boards -- they have built-in HDMI, 802.11n, and Optical/Co-axial audio. I'm very pleased with mine. :)

second exodous said:
WizardStan said:
second exodous said:
Encouraging, if my Pandora experience goes well I'm going to go for it. I don't have an arm computer right now, I was going to get a Touch Book but couldn't justify the money right now.

I'm eying the gumstix, Overo™ Fire with the Tobi. That adds up to $290 so like I said I need to see how the Pandora goes for me and see if the naked Pandora boards or Pandora Cube become a reality. Also, I want someone to get either Gentoo or Ubuntu running rock solid and post an image for whatever board I do get before I invest anything.

Don't get a Gumstix for this, please. You'll be overpaying for inferior hardware. Go with a BeagleBoard. Gumstix is designed mostly for robotics and small electronics that a BB layout couldn't possibly fit in.

mali said:
Like the Pandora, other ARM powered devices for general computing have been delayed. There is a bunch of devices about to flood the market in 2010. ARM powered Smartbooks(Qualcomm marketing term for ARM netbooks) and ARM powered nettops. You will get those nettops for as little as $150 or less including OS. If I was in MWeston's shoes I would dismiss the idea of a Pandora cube and focus on Pandora 2 when he's in a creative mood. Not much money to earn if you have to compete with the big players.

I doubt any of those big players will have the gaming controls though. Our 'cube' would still have the keypad and gaming controls, it would pretty much just be the lower half of the pandora, which if you wanted to play games you could just pick up like a joypad and use it.

Gary13579 said:
Don't get a Gumstix for this, please. You'll be overpaying for inferior hardware. Go with a BeagleBoard. Gumstix is designed mostly for robotics and small electronics that a BB layout couldn't possibly fit in.
Main reason I want to go gumstix, and I'm embarrassed to say this really, is the Ethernet port. I still go to houses that don't have wireless and the only way to get anything off of their computers or use the internet at their house is through a Ethernet hub. Beyond that when I added up everything that the BB didn't have to the price it came out a lot closer than it looks on the surface. You're correct though, I will definitely look into price before I buy anything.

craigix said:
I doubt any of those big players will have the gaming controls though. Our 'cube' would still have the keypad and gaming controls, it would pretty much just be the lower half of the pandora, which if you wanted to play games you could just pick up like a joypad and use it.
Do you have a ballpark how much one would cost? At this point you wouldn't need to make new moulds or anything, the hinge might look a little weird. Since I'm using it as a computer though I might need/want HDMI out, I'm not sure, like I said before I'll try my Pandora out before I make any decisions.

craigix said:

Thats a great idea, I really hope you do this Craig .. it would be nice if you added HDMI/DVI output as well, but of course this is something for 2010. :)

Personally, for the ethernet port, I'd simply use a USB-Ethernet converter. Perhaps something like this. But to each their own setup. Options are wonderful and plentiful!

I think when I get my pandora, my PC will see a lot less use. I'll probably get myself a composite-to-hdmi or composite-to-vga converter to go with it so I can plug it on my PC's LCD monitor. :) ...of course DVI/HDMI output straight from the pandora would be even better.. ;)

Argtrak said:
I think when I get my pandora, my PC will see a lot less use. I'll probably get myself a composite-to-hdmi or composite-to-vga converter to go with it so I can plug it on my PC's LCD monitor. :) ...of course DVI/HDMI output straight from the pandora would be even better.. ;)
Is there such a converter and how much does it cost?

If there is I may be tempted to change my order from a case to a tv cable.
I don't have any inputs that would work with it as it is currently.

Pandora Cube running xbmc would be nice if we can get that dsp decoding non xvid hd material. (For the right price)

Without the LCD, dvi/display port should be a possibility (the royalty free one) also.
Do I need a Pandora Cube, nope, but I would sure be tempted anyway. :D

Na-Noo said:
Argtrak said:
Is there such a converter and how much does it cost?

If there is I may be tempted to change my order from a case to a tv cable.
I don't have any inputs that would work with it as it is currently.

Pandora Cube running xbmc would be nice if we can get that dsp decoding non xvid hd material. (For the right price)

Without the LCD, dvi/display port should be a possibility (the royalty free one) also.
Do I need a Pandora Cube, nope, but I would sure be tempted anyway. :D

I think I've seen two that would qualify on DealExtreme... there are probably some at other similar places on the net.
One being: CVBS Composite Video/S-Video + L/R Stereo Audio to HDMI 720p Upscale Converter ~ 60$
and the other one being: Composite AV/S-Video to 720p HDMI V1.2 Converter - NTSC/PAL (100~240V AC) ~ 75$

A bit more expensive than I thought but might still be worth looking into, plus it might be a convenient thing to have around for other uses around the house. B)

Back