Interfacing the Pandora with the gumstix daughterboards?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I'm trying to ask this question here because I don't care for the sarcastic responses, the flaming, the general rude responses from people that don't know the answer, and my post getting deleted or merged into another huge thread on the gp32x.de forums. I read a few posts here and liked the responses so I thought I'd ask.

I was wondering if the GP2X could be interfaced with the tobi daughter board. If it could through the Ext port then the tobi has all the output to use on a computer monitor/hdtv plus it has Ethernet. The USB has trouble on the gumstix, not going at USB 2.0 speeds because it hasn't been worked out yet, so the USB would have to come from the USB on the Pandora to a hub.

I couldn't find out what the Ext port on the Pandora put out so I don't know. I know some kind of adapter would have to be made professionally, so that would take a lot of work. I pretty much don't know so I'm asking, I hope I don't upset anyone.

Thanx,
Stan

Eidt: Put '?' in subject so people would know that this is a question and not a statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no 70-pin mating connector for it, don't see how that could work. I think you could get that functionality pretty much using the pandora's own s-video and wifi or be better served buying the pandora a usb 2.0 device with the capabilities you need.

second.exodous said:
I couldn't find out what the Ext port on the Pandora put out so I don't know. I know some kind of adapter would have to be made professionally, so that would take a lot of work.
No. The Gumstix uses a proprietary interface that is not compatible with anything besides the Gumstix. The Pandora EXT port info is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, ok, I thought the Ext port had more in it but wasn't sure. I have the Pandora pre-ordered but I wanted a hand held that would output to either a LCD computer monitor or a HDTV through DVI-D. I pre-ordered one of those touchbooks also but it doesn't have the DVI-D output either. These are really the first wave of ARM powered computers so maybe in the future. I was going to go ahead and buy the gumstix overo platform to play with but with the Pandora and the Touchbook on the way that is most of my tech budget for a while. Oh well, as is life.

But thanks for the clear answers without flaming me. I asked a stupid question and wasn't expecting anything but a stupid answer.

Thanx,
Stan

The BeagleBoard has DVI-D and S-video out and share a lot of HW with the pandora... chances are that a lot of apps will work on both of them with little effort

http://beagleboard.org/hardware

I think the overo boards kinda nickel and dime you while the beagle board just throws in a much as possible for the price... which is half of what the pandora is BTW

Back