Questions: A Small List

Yep please don't let anyone fool you ,all of these emulators are DIRTY ports ,most from the gp32 so there is no full screen stretch at present ,evil dragon has said pico was the only emulator to be built up around the pandora but i doubt it ,it still to me seems pretty poor and it doesn't have vsync ,if it does then it's nt working becase when i played sonic i could see tearing.

I am not impressed with any of the emulators ,i have not tried them all but they are all mostly not full screen and lack many functions like filters & vsync ,i am not bashing anyone but lets keep the truth alive here ,i am, sure in the future we will see much better emulators for the pandora but for now it IS pretty poor ,i am much more enjoying the games on the pandora like battlejewels - pandora panic - and super tux ,ohh and the n64 emulator is pretty dam good ,to me the only real pandora emulator ,the rest feel like they do not belong on it.

IF IT'S NOT FULL SCREEN IT'S NOT FOR ME !

what the hell is the problem with fullscreen stretch ??????? puzzled ,i mean we are using such a small screen and you want it smaller just so it is the native screen size ,the psp was fine with screen stretch ,do you really know anyone with a psp that would opt out of fullscreen by choice ? the psp looks amazing running snes ,megadrive and all sorts fullscreen ,so lets get it on pandora asap, but yes that would mean reworking a gp32 emu for pandora ,and no one has time just now ,this is why most of the emus right now are pretty shoddy.

paddy said:
Yep please don't let anyone fool you ,all of these emulators are DIRTY ports ,most from the gp32 so there is no full screen stretch at present ,evil dragon has said pico was the only emulator to be built up around the pandora but i doubt it ,it still to me seems pretty poor and it doesn't have vsync ,if it does then it's nt working becase when i played sonic i could see tearing.
Please share with us where you found this Pandora-optimised release of Picodrive, I'm sure a lot of us would like to try it out...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't find it ,i tested it at Craigs place ,pico is reworked for pandora ,not built from the ground up for pandora ,this is what i would assume ,i could be wrong as i don't know the author and how he is working on the emulator but just thought i should mention this before someone points out how wrong i am ,anyway i am sure when pico is out for everyone to try it will be tops ,just not from what i had tested.

In time the pandora will have great emulators ,but for now they are not great ,i don't wanna get at anyone who ir porting emulators ,i am more than happy to give them a go but hope to see in the future fullscreen fullspeed optimised emulation.

I am sure we will.

SteveM said:
Please share with us where you found this Pandora-optimised release of Picodrive, I'm sure a lot of us would like to try it out...

+1 I looked for this and cant find it as of yet. would be nice to try some 32x goodness

I didn't find it ,i tested it at Craigs place ,pico is reworked for pandora ,not built from the ground up for pandora ,this is what i would assume ,i could be wrong as i don't know the author and how he is working on the emulator but just thought i should mention this before someone points out how wrong i am ,anyway i am sure when pico is out for everyone to try it will be tops ,just not from what i had tested.

In time the pandora will have great emulators ,but for now they are not great ,i don't wanna get at anyone who ir porting emulators ,i am more than happy to give them a go but hope to see in the future fullscreen fullspeed optimised emulation.

I am sure we will.

mvickers03 said:
SteveM said:

+1 I looked for this and cant find it as of yet. would be nice to try some 32x goodness

I don't think 32X emulation is working in Picodrive yet.

Pleng said:
mvickers03 said:
SteveM said:

I don't think 32X emulation is working in Picodrive yet.
Yes it is. Stuff like Tempo and Kolibri work very well, even Virtua Racing plays well if you oc to 850Mhz and FS1

Yes, Craig has it running 32x software too, thanks to Notaz fir implementing it into the Pandora specific picodrive,

@x68000 How are you my man! any chance you can email the files ill PM you my address if possible

@Sarlix

No 1. If it helps you can use a USB flash drive to transfer onto the Pandora

No 3. Battery is about 16 hours@500mhz for me if I use low screen brightness, that may help for you till next firmware update with suspend features :)

paddy said:

Well, then you're the first out of at least 50 persons who tried Sonic on my Pandora who could see some screen tearing.
It's not there. You can even see on the videos I released that it's not there.

what the hell is the problem with fullscreen stretch ??????? puzzled ,i mean we are using such a small screen and you want it smaller just so it is the native screen size ,the psp was fine with screen stretch ,do you really know anyone with a psp that would opt out of fullscreen by choice ? the psp looks amazing running snes ,megadrive and all sorts fullscreen ,so lets get it on pandora asap, but yes that would mean reworking a gp32 emu for pandora ,and no one has time just now ,this is why most of the emus right now are pretty shoddy.

Errm... to me, all the emulators stretched on the PSP looked crap, to be honest. And remembering some threads we had on these boards, most users here did agree :)
I'm sure fullscreen scaling will be possible in the future, but to look good, they will need to have at least black bars on the left and on the right side - and it's up to you to play Super Fat Mario World :)

PicoDrive couldn't be more perfect in my opinion :)

Last edited:
Lucky we've still got Period-Free Paddy around "keeping the truth alive" for us all. I'd hate for these people trying to actively contribute to the scene getting big heads or anything.

I mean, it's been nearly two weeks now. Where are the perfect emulators that Paddy expected on the day of release? Who the hell do you people think you are?

What VO does mplayer use on the pandora, anyway? Does it just use x11/sdl or xv or xvidix or something more specific?

If it's using x11/SDL on the original poster's pandora, that'd be why videos are playing slowly... those VOs are uselessly slow on pretty much anything at any resolution, since it's just writing pixels to screen manually, one by one.

xv or some pandora/OMAP3/powervr-specific VO would probably be optimal, but driver support is required. Not sure if this exists.

Can someone who has a pandora say what it says when you run mplayer in the command line about VO? For example, on here it says:
Code:
VO: [vdpau] 1280x528 => 1280x528 Planar YV12

For me it's using vdpau (I think this is nvidia specific, so the pandora wouldn't be using that.) but what does it say there on the pandora?

I'd also be curious as to what the original poster's says. If it doesn't match to a working pandora, it could point to a problem.

Otherwise, if the original poster is just trying to play some huge h.264 then, well, yeah, but it seems that it plays alright until he tries to scale it so it seems more likely a VO problem.

ED is there anywhere I can get Notaz's Picodrive for Pandora please. any build would be appreciated

^ Alright mate!

It's not available yet as Notaz is still adding to it (SMS iirc) and i don't think he wants any build out in the wild just yet.

From what i have tried, it runs great and there is absolutley NO screen tearing on any Sonic game!

Back