Questions About The Gp2x

eSkeR

Still Fresh
Sorry if these have been asked before... buit I have a feq questions about the GP2X

Firstly, who is this device aimed at? software devolopers? gamers? media fanatics?

What are the capabilities of this device? I know the site says it can play games and movies, but how well can it do this? could I, for instance, create a home movie that is 2 hours in length (with a file size of around 3gb) and download it onto the GP2X for playback?

How easy is to it install and use emulators for playing games?

all this is answered in the FAQ sticky

ps. you can store anything you want providing you have a large enough sd card

The links in the sticky FAQ don't work for me :( (the game and emulator links)

I think many people downloaded the hilton home video... :huh:

Going slllllightly off-topic now :rolleyes:

Bumpage, cause not sure if I wanna buy one of these...

I loved the like media thingy I had for my Nintendo DS (allowed you to view videos, ebooks, images .etc on the DS/GBA/SP) but required SD cards... it was good for viewing small files but I could never manage to fit a large movie file on the card ... I was kinda hoping there would be some sort of inbuilt hard drive? like on an iPod?

No, you can't go dropping a 3Gb movie on an SD card. Well, you CAN if you have a large enough (4Gb) SD card, but those aren't yet supported by the gp2x, and it seems fairly wasteful anyway. You'll have to reencode movies. Basically, you need to reencode it to get a smaller resolution (320x240 if you intend to only watch it on the GP2X screen) and also to compress it. Use one of the supported codecs to do the job! I believe these are DivX, XviD, and MPEG (Not so sure about the last one though). Compress it nicely, and you could get a feature length movie to maybe 1/2 a Gig without having too great a quality loss. I managed to reencode the "Yes: Keys to Ascension 1" DVD, a 2 and a half hour long concert DVD to approximately 250Mb, but I sacrificed a lot of video quality for that. Mind, if you want home movies, which are probably shot with a consumer video camera, the sound quality (and maybe image quality) probably isn't utterly stunning anyway, and you can probably sacrifice a fair amount of sound quality (and possibly a fair amount of video quality) before it gets noticeable. There are a few posts on how to reencode your videos for GP2X playback around these forums, listing the software required etc. I recommend Pocket DivX encoder (if you run Windows that is), as it seems fairly damn fast, and needs minimal tweaks to the options to get GP2X compatible output.

Good luck :)

Back