Questions About The Gp32 And The Gpx2

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 01:12 PM said:
Concerning the video, the GPx2 will be superior in quality, but at the cost of more space, right ? (Twice the res, twice the space) Or does the GPU help a lot and permits better compression rates ?

This isn't really an issue. Comparative sizes on SD are much cheaper than SMC anyway.

Size is a problem on SMC because they can only hold 128MB of data and these cost around £13 (average price), but SD can do up to 4GB. Not many people will use a 4GB card, but a 1GB card can be picked up for a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that GPX2 with hard drive/disc is also planned for late 2006.

Possibly 5g, 10g models are planned maybe even up to 20, 30 gigs?

Jarska333 posted on Jul 29 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
"OS? well yeah bloated linux will rob memory and CPU making it slower. Linux is un-needed.
"

Um, linux can run on a wrist-watch...

Some of us may be unfoundedly optimistic, but you way exceed us in unfounded pessimism. :p

You, or we, DON'T YET KNOW HOW POWERFUL THE THING IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

MHZ IS NOT ALL THERE IS TO IT!!!!!! B)

How could we not know how powerful it is? The specs have been released down to the RAM and what exact CPU it uses and the speed. What moer info do you need?

I need someone to run a simple benchmark on both Gp32 and GPX2, using only the main CPU. That's it.

I believe GPH, when they say that the CPU is a lot more powerful than that of GP32's.

declaration posted on Jul 29 2005 at 04:04 PM said:
You complain about every single handheld. Sure, none of us are 100% happy with anything we buy, but there is no need to bang on about small things all the time. If its not the Zodiac's joystick, the PSP's widescreen or the GP32's processor, it's the position of the goddamn start and select buttons.

Maybe this system will be no different. I never said it would be. But it could be and untill we know more (about the emu's GP mentioned, the OS, and exact price etc), there is no need to bitch all the time.

The GPX2 is not aiming to be ultra powerful. I'll say it again, it is supposed to be a great media player, combined with good gaming and emulation (coupled with many improvements over the GP32- more buttons, sd cards etc etc). If you are ultra picky (and you must be because Zodiac level SNES and Genesis emulation is fine for me) then this machine may not be for you.
Just accept they are going for something different and move on.

And my "complaints" are unfounded? You wouldn't want buttons positioned so you could play vertical MAME games? You wouldn't want a CPU fast enough to do perfect SNES or NeoGeo emulation? You wouldn't want to be able to use all of your current emus/HB on the new one? You think it is worth giving that all up just to play crappy movies on it? How many movie players do we need?

Zodiac level SNES and Genesis is poor, hell Genesis on the GP32 is better than the one on Zodiac. SNES is slow on the Z with crap sound, poor transparency support, stuttery framerate. I don't want that kind of performance on a portable that is not even out yet. SNES is better than that on the PSP NOW and it is not even finished yet. It just doesn't make sense.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
I need someone to run a simple benchmark on both Gp32 and GPX2, using only the main CPU. That's it.

I believe GPH, when they say that the CPU is a lot more powerful than that of GP32's.

They are likely judging it on video performance. That extra coprocessor in tailored towards video. So it probably does act like a 400 MHz CPU when doing movies. For emus though it will be like a 200 MHz CPU. They put too much emphasis on movies and not enough on games for my taste.

Jarska333 posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:26 PM said:
Answers to all of your questions concerning GPX2:

http://egp.gs.washington.edu/data/gpx2/

B)

Here is a schematic of the GPx2 (found here) :
CTTCCTGGCTCCTCCTTCCTCCCCACCCCTCTAATAGGCTCATAAGTGGGCTCAGGCCTCTCTGCGGGGC
TCACTCTGCGCTTCACCATGGCTTTCATTGCCAAGTCCTTCTATGACCTCAGTGCCATCAGCCTGGATGG
GGAGAAGGTAGATTTCAATACGTTCCGGGGCAGGGCCGTGCTGATTGAGAATGTGGCTTCGCTCTGAGGC
ACAACCACCCGGGACTTCACCCAGCTCAACGAGCTGCAATGCCGCTTTCCCAGGCGCCTGGTGGTCCTTG
GCTTCCCTTGCAACCAATTTGGACATCAGGAGAACTGTCAGAATGAGGAGATCCTGAACAGTCTCAAGTA
TGTCCGTCCTGGGGGTGGATACCAGCCCACCTTCACCCTTGTCCAAAAATGTGAGGTGAATGGGCAGAAC
GAGCATCCTGTCTTCGCCTACCTGAAGGACAAGCTCCCCTACCCTTATGATGACCCATTTTCCCTCATGA
CCGATCCCAAGCTCATCATTTGGAGCCCTGTGCGCCGCTCAGATGTGGCCTGGAACTTTGAGAAGTTCCT
CATAGGGCCGGAGGGAGAGCCCTTCCGACGCTACAGCCGCACCTTCCCAACCATCAACATTGAGCCTGAC
ATCAAGCGCCTCCTTAAAGTTGCCATATAGATGTGAACTGCTCAACACACAGATCTCCTACTCCATCCAG
TCCTGAGGAGCCTTAGGATGCAGCATGCCTTCAGGAGACACTGCTGGACCTCAGCATTCCCTTGATATCA
GTCCCCTTCACTGCAGAGCCTTGCCTTTCCCCTCTGCCTGTTTCCTTTTCCTCTCCCAACCCTCTGGTTG
GTGATTCAACTTGGGCTCCAAGACTTGGGTAAGCTCTGGGCCTTCACAGAATGATGGCACCTTCCTAAAC
CCTCATGGGTGGTGTCTGAGAGGCGTGAAGGGCCTGGAGCCACTCTGCTAGAAGAGACCAATAAAGGGCA
GGTGTGGAAACGGC

As you can see it is 854 bits, does this means that it can emulate more than 26 PSone ?

Sorry ...

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 04:10 PM said:
RatchetMan posted on Jul 29 2005 at 05:14 PM said:
My estimate is based on my experience of the gp32. I bought my gp32 for xmas 2003. It is now 2005 and two of the best emulators have only recently appeared. (I am referring to gpmame and drmd(sega genesis emulator)).

Yes, I agree, it seems a very good point. Because of you (and DaveC) I am going to invest in a GP32 in a few weeks and in a GPx2 next year or so. Damn you both ! :)

Best regards,
Trida

I think you will like the GP32 alot. If you are into emus there will be some that may not make it to the new one anyway, and for sure some homebrew games will only be on the GP32. So it is still worth getting one now.

Just make sure you get a BLU, the screen is much nicer than the FLU/NLU.

This community is also great. Even those that don't have GP32s anymore still post :)

Good luck and have fun :)

Back