Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ebay.

• I dont have a GP32.

• I'm not getting a GPx2.

• Total voters

Just out of interest. When the GP32 was first released, what was the original clockspeed (before being overclocked)?

:)

Im gonna echo pretty much everyone else here and say that my GP32 won't be collecting dust for a while yet. Ever after the GPx2 comes out, I'm gonna wait and see how it pans out so that I don't waste my money if it becomes the new Zodiac. Even if I do end getting one though, my GP32 would still have some life for a while before becoming a desk ornament.

Keeping it untill I find out if the GPX2 is any good... Dont want to sell my nice Fast GP32's to get a GPX2 and find the only main difference is it can emulate 1 or 2 extra consoles :p

Since the games I play on it (perfectly) are 10-20 years old anyway, I hardly see how the GP32 will ever be truly obsolete. The GPX2 won't play the Genesis, C64, NES, etc any better, will it? Even my PC and Xbox don't play them any better!

I thought the GPX2 was backards compatible, so if that's the case, the GP32 is certainly obsolete, as the new one looks much less like a toy and would potentially be able to do justice to some of the slower emulators we currently have (SNES, Lynx etc) whilst maybe we'd see Amiga etc in the future. I do personally like the way the constraints of the GP32 have recently led developers to refocus on older systems, so I suppose I'd worry that we just got PS1, N64 etc pipe dreams for the GPX2, but so long as it played existing GP32 stuff, and people were still making homebrew games I think the GP32 would have truly been left behind.

®

tattooman posted on Aug 1 2005 at 07:47 AM said:
The GP32 will still be around for a while, especally now since when the GpX2 comes out the GP32 will really go down in price. Did Tv kill the radio? Nope, the same will happen with the Gp32 it is a classic and will always be a classic...

Oh but Video killed the Radio star ;D, Meaning, Gp32 Won't ooh that special anymore, just in our memories, like the dreamcast ^_^

Hooka posted on Aug 1 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
Original clockspeed was actually 40 or 66Mhz, can't remember exactly which one...

66 Mhz.

I might add. If my GP32 was still alive, I would probably keep playing it till the release of GPx2 consitering Snes EMU's are avalible at launch. But since my GP32 died last christmas (I repainted it, got kinda bumpy since of the paint i used, due to lieing shop keepers. Dad wanted to help me get it back to normal by buring it away with acid. Well, the color got away, but so did the cpu. So long GP32, I trashed it yesterday, with a tear in me eye...) I will just get GPx2 and be happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wait for official release of both XGP and GPX2 before i say what the fate of my GP32 will be. Not to start another war, but I honestly don't see what the new systems will be able to offer as far as emulation goes that the Gp32 can't already do well. So i will be playing my GP32 for a long while yet, at least until the new systems come out and prove me wrong and show me that they are worth owning.

Just because you can't buy the GP32 anymore doesn't mean you can't use it anymore.
Yesterday, I played a nice game of MULE on the Atari800 emulator.
I can still play it in a few years. Why shouldn't I?

Though the xgp2 surely does look like a nice system for new stuff.
The GP32 has had it's time, sure, the f-Day will rock, but I never thought we'd see a better SNES-Emu, so this is the right way to go.

I think ED has it .. but I'll add-- the GP32 has been obsolete since it started pretty much. We all have one despite it being no fancy hardware and no support from any game companies.. we have it due to the community. The separate question is.. will you dump your GP32 once the XGP/GPX/whatever community gets going? Thats more a question about how much disposable income you have, and how much a packrat you are.

I've got a Turbo Grafx Express (PCEngine portable), Sega gamegear, Atari Lynx, etc etc.. and GP32. I'll get the next one if you guys all move over to it, but I'm not selling my old ones. Gotta keep 'em around.

Besides, GP32 is still sweet.

As I always say -- when something new comes out, it doesn't make your current stuff useless.. just 'obsolete'. (Which means people without one needn't buy it, but for those with it it does not become useless instantly.)

jeff

Magus 86 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 03:49 AM said:
The story of Chrono Trigger MUST be retold to the next generation.

wow. you refer to it like it's a classical work of literature. it was a good game but the storyline wasn't all THAT amazing. in fact, i've never played a video game with a very good storyline. final fantasy 6 is the best so far but it's still a long ways off from a good Orson Scott Card novel..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, what Skeezix said. If the GPx2 does all the GP32 does and more, maybe I'll shelve it. But right now there are far too many Gameboy/Megadrive/ST games I want to play for me to just drop it and run. They all run pretty much fullspeed as is, and I doubt any amount of MhZ or whatever will make them MUCH better...

dj jesus posted on Aug 1 2005 at 08:06 PM said:
Magus 86 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 03:49 AM said:
The story of Chrono Trigger MUST be retold to the next generation.

wow. you refer to it like it's a classical work of literature. it was a good game but the storyline wasn't all THAT amazing. in fact, i've never played a video game with a very good storyline. final fantasy 6 is the best so far but it's still a long ways off from a good Orson Scott Card novel..

You should play Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Together, they have one of the best storylines I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I must have had my gp32 for 2 or more years now. It's a non-lit unit, but it clocks to 160mhz fine. I'm still impressed with it but I will more than likely upgrade, just so I can have a handheld I can play in the dark :) Dont see any reason to sell the GP32 though, got a few SMCs packed with stuff.

Well lets see what happened when I got my PSP....

I played with the PSP solid for weeks, the GP32 sat on my desk feeling lonely. When ther novelty of the PSP wore off, I got back to the GP32! It has this sort of retro feel that alwasy draws you back. I will never get rid of it!

Back