The Day After E

Talyz posted on Sep 1 2005 at 03:01 PM said:
Angel posted on Sep 1 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
people still code for the Atari Lynx, Jaguar, 5200, and the 2600 so by your logic these systems are not obsolete.  That makes no sense.

The hardware is obsolete. The GBA hardware is obsolete.  The PSP has better specs, the GPx2 has better specs, the Gizmondo has better specs, the XGP has better specs.
In other words; the GPX2 is obsolete, since the PSP hardware is more powerful...
<_<

Last edited by a moderator:
rabbits with hats posted on Sep 1 2005 at 03:16 PM said:
Talyz posted on Sep 1 2005 at 03:01 PM said:
Angel posted on Sep 1 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
people still code for the Atari Lynx, Jaguar, 5200, and the 2600 so by your logic these systems are not obsolete. That makes no sense.

The hardware is obsolete. The GBA hardware is obsolete. The PSP has better specs, the GPx2 has better specs, the Gizmondo has better specs, the XGP has better specs.
In other words; the GPX2 is obsolete, since the PSP hardware is more powerful...
<_<
I think he was being sarcastic.

Eh, if I need a PC for writing, then a 486 will do fine. For any gamer, well, up-to-date gamer, it's horrifyingly obsolete. Not for the writer guy. If you have fun playing with Lynx, it ain't obsolete. B)

Thank you! Obsolete is something, which no longer is sufficient to it's alloted task. You could say, a T-55 (tank) is obsolete, because it can no longer function a tank in modern battlefield, it cannot kill modern tanks, nor can it's armor protect it's crew from enemy fire.

Provided your Lynx is not broken, it can still perform it's task, provide entertainment to you. Lynx MKI is obsolete, though, as there is Lynx MKII, slightly superior design. As is GBA, due to SP. :)

The tech is obsolete but the hardware itself is not as long as it's useful... heck I remember seeing a picture where someone Macgyvered a Wifi antena to a first generation Gameboy and was using it to read internet forums, just because he could.

And of course, there are those who prefer vinyl records over CDs on account of being analogue (and therefore, despite having more crackles, also having a complete range of frequencies - or as complete as an ultra-HD digital recording would have given at least, since that's what's used iirc in recording studios).

Sometimes something old is *better* at doing something than new things; I remember being amazed when I booted up my 386 a couple of years ago and discovering the midi quality on my Gravis Ultrasound was quite a lot better than what I was getting on a modern PC, albeit one using the standard AC97 codec rather than a dedicated card.

Tobriand posted on Sep 1 2005 at 09:28 PM said:
And of course, there are those who prefer vinyl records over CDs on account of being analogue (and therefore, despite having more crackles, also having a complete range of frequencies).
99.9% of these people are deluding themselves or are just being pricks. I hate the whole Vinyl sound > Digital sound debate.

People just like the grit if the crackle they hear in Vinyl, "it gives the music texture!"... But then again a lot of those people tend to also be elitist audiophiles. :p

Klown posted on Sep 2 2005 at 01:46 AM said:
Tobriand posted on Sep 1 2005 at 09:28 PM said:
And of course, there are those who prefer vinyl records over CDs on account of being analogue (and therefore, despite having more crackles, also having a complete range of frequencies).
99.9% of these people are deluding themselves or are just being pricks. I hate the whole Vinyl sound > Digital sound debate.

I think CD sounds more sterile... I still prefer it, if not for any other reason that vinyl players are hard to get a hold of... :(

I'm not saying I am someone who would go for Vinyl over and above simply MP3 or CD. But I do recognise that they do have a theoretically higher range of frequencies, even though they're accompanied by more crackles.

Considering there's what, 20% or so (iirc) of the populace who have "super" senses (i.e. a great deal more accute than average - 10 or a hundred times-ish) and I do not believe myself to be among them, let alone the fact that what you use is what develops (an obvious example being a blind man's touch and hearing, but could occur in e.g. a serious composer, or someone who was into asian quarter-tone-filled music in a really big way), it is perfectly conceivable, imo, though, that some people do hear those extra frequencies a CD misses.

However, I do not protest that analogue is better than digital, unless someone finds a way of recording analogue "digitally" (i.e. just as flash has theoretical infinite resolution on account of being desribed with equations, I don't see why it would be impossible to record a soun in an equation designed to replicate the wave in question - just be a lot harder). Digital is just so much more convenient and - of course - small!

Jarska333 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 11:21 AM said:
Eh, if I need a PC for writing, then a 486 will do fine. For any gamer, well, up-to-date gamer, it's horrifyingly obsolete. Not for the writer guy. If you have fun playing with Lynx, it ain't obsolete. B)

My 286 laptop would do fine for writing.

Jarska333 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
That I can agree. A steam-radio is obsolete, the vinyl record is obsolete. But only in pure technological sense.

Vinyl is better than CD. It has a warmer sound. CD sound is too "clean".

BTW, this is getting extramely off-topic.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 3 2005 at 03:58 PM said:

Newsreel is better than television, and colour TV sucks balls.

Vinyl is for subhuman retards that know nothing about music or how to be a condescending music fan. Why upgrade to vinyl when we have a perfectly good wireless in the attic? I mean, vinyl music is too clean. Who wants the music to sound how it is intended? Faggots, that's who.

I drive tractors because Ferraris are for shit stabbing girly men. I love the roar of an old banger.

Sure, MP3s are shitty, but if I really have to listen to one, it has to be in 28kbps. Audio quality is for pansies. Real men strain to listen to music.

LHC posted on Sep 3 2005 at 11:59 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Sep 3 2005 at 03:58 PM said:

Newsreel is better than television, and colour TV sucks balls.

Vinyl is for subhuman retards that know nothing about music or how to be a condescending music fan. Why upgrade to vinyl when we have a perfectly good wireless in the attic? I mean, vinyl music is too clean. Who wants the music to sound how it is intended? Faggots, that's who.

I drive tractors because Ferraris are for shit stabbing girly men. I love the roar of an old banger.

Sure, MP3s are shitty, but if I really have to listen to one, it has to be in 28kbps. Audio quality is for pansies. Real men strain to listen to music.

Amen to that, damnit :angry:

Back