Questions About The Pandora

LittleTodds

Still Fresh
Hi,
I have been interested in the Pandora for a while now, and now I have some questions about it:

1. Is it going to be sold in Australia?
2. Will there be colours available other than black?
3. What is the size of the LCD screen (not resolution)?
4. What Instant Messengers will I be able to run on the Pandora?
5. Will there be DOSBox for the Pandora?
6. Will I be able to use my USB mouse, webcam and flash drives on the Pandora?
7. On openpandora.org it says that the Pandora will be "around about the same size as a DS". Does this mean it will be about the same size as an original DS or a DSLite?

Thanks in advance. :)

1. Maybe, if someone in australia wants to be a distributor, but it will be sold TO australia.
2. Not in the near future
3. 4 inch
4. Pidgin is possible and it can handle:
* AIM
* Bonjour
* Gadu-Gadu
* Google Talk
* Groupwise
* IRC
* MSN
* MySpaceIM
* QQ
* SILC

* SIMPLE
* Sametime
* XMPP
* Yahoo!
* Zephyr
5. I think so, not perfect thought
6. Usb mouses and flash drives will have standard drviers so nearly everything will work, some webcams may work if they have drivers.
7. It's little bit bigger than original DS.

Gaeryc said:
7. It's little bit bigger than original DS.

Last time I compared the dimensions, it was bigger than a DS lite and smaller than a Phat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt want to start a new thread just for this one question. What is the estimated Resolution (pixels per inch) of the touchscreen LCD?

vaiovann said:
Didnt want to start a new thread just for this one question. What is the estimated Resolution (pixels per inch) of the touchscreen LCD?
The Pandora screen is 4.3" (same as PSP) with a resolution of 800x480.

ALSO - some of the questions being asked have been answered for a very long time now in the Pandora FAQ, which is linked at the top of this board. It's slightly rude for newbies to not read the FAQ before asking questions here, so please take a look there.

Here's the sticky: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=39733

I have a simple design question, too... Didn't want to open a new thread, but assuming there will be a stylus included with the touchscreen, will there be an efficient way of storing it *in* the console and not flapping underneath it? I find that the F-200 and the telescoping stylus don't really have a place for each other, unless you lanyard the included loop to the hole on the bottom-left.

None of the renders I've seen actually show a slot, like the DS, to slip the stylus and it worries me a bit.

Rayek said:
I have a simple design question, too... Didn't want to open a new thread, but assuming there will be a stylus included with the touchscreen, will there be an efficient way of storing it *in* the console and not flapping underneath it? I find that the F-200 and the telescoping stylus don't really have a place for each other, unless you lanyard the included loop to the hole on the bottom-left.

None of the renders I've seen actually show a slot, like the DS, to slip the stylus and it worries me a bit.
As far as I know it slides in, like a DS.

I certainly hope so... Really, the F-200 and its lack of a place to put it annoys me to no end...

Well specifically Prophet I meant the "Effective" resolution per inch, you know usually resolved by knowing how densely packed the pixels are per given area. This is what the official FAQ states about the upcoming handheld: Display: 800x480 wide screen (5:3), 4.3 inches, touchscreen LCD.[8]

* Brightness:300 cd/m2, Contrast ratio:450:1, Response time:tr+tf=30ms[9]
* Dimensions: 93.6 x 56.2 mm (4.3 inches, 5:3 aspect ratio).

http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

It lists the size of the LCD in width and height and also by aspect ratio, but not it's effective pixels per inch. That's all I wanted to know.

Prophet said:
vaiovann said:
The Pandora screen is 4.3" (same as PSP) with a resolution of 800x480.

ALSO - some of the questions being asked have been answered for a very long time now in the Pandora FAQ, which is linked at the top of this board. It's slightly rude for newbies to not read the FAQ before asking questions here, so please take a look there.

Here's the sticky: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=39733

vaiovann said:
Well specifically Prophet I meant the "Effective" resolution per inch, you know usually resolved by knowing how densely packed the pixels are per given area. This is what the official FAQ states about the upcoming handheld: Display: 800x480 wide screen (5:3), 4.3 inches, touchscreen LCD.[8]

* Brightness:300 cd/m2, Contrast ratio:450:1, Response time:tr+tf=30ms[9]
* Dimensions: 93.6 x 56.2 mm (4.3 inches, 5:3 aspect ratio).

http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

It lists the size of the LCD in width and height and also by aspect ratio, but not it's effective pixels per inch. That's all I wanted to know.

Ho, and you can't divide? That gives ~85 pixels/cm. Some other conversion and you'll get pixels/inch :)

vaiovann said:

What you actually want is called pixel density. Simple math gives us 217ppi or about 47k pixels per square inch.

Rayek said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41546

vaiovann said:
The Nokia N800, with a slightly smaller 4.1" screen, has a resolution of over 200 dpi (221, if I'm not mistaken).

And trust me, that's gorgeous; nobody ever bothers about font anti-aliasing on the N800.

Lurkio said:
Rayek said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41546

... THX!

Back