Various Pandora Questions

DRED said:
1) . . . will the people making the emulators put more effort into them than the wiz?
Do you think the Wiz devs are putting in half an effort or something? They're limited by the hardware, not by lack of motivation or skill. If I were a dev I would strongly resent the implication here.

Those same devs will probably be able to put less effort into Pandora and get better results. So the answer to your question is no. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding #4: I think that's 3.2 centimeters, not 3.2 inches. :p

Edit:

And the official dimensions say 2.7 cm, so there you go

musicalwoods said:
Firefox + Greasemonkey + Totem is a great alternative to flash for video on a great many sites, but some sites like Hulu, CBS, NBC, etc., that I occasionally use will probably not work on the Pandora, at least until Flash10 from Android or wherever is hacked into the OS.

If it performs anywhere close to this P3 1000MHz laptop I'm typing on, I'll be a very happy camper.

I'm using Firefox + Greasemonkey + Totem in my computer, but there is a plugin for totem too.

atomicthumbs said:

Edit:

Vorporeal said:
In relation to the size, the official quote is "Dimensions: 140x83.4x27.5mm".

Not sure where you got 3.2" from, but 1.08" should be much easier to fit in your pocket. ;)

Most times dimensions are written as WxYxZ , W= width, Y = height, Z = depth.
83.4mm in inches is 3.28 inches.
You are probably thinking of height as the vertical thickness when placed on a horizontal plane with the largest surface touching the plane.

WizardStan said:
Esn said:
I thought I'd mention that the Pandora can also be used as a DVD player replacement.
Except that it doesn't have a DVD player. It's not quite a replacement if you have to rip the VOB files, first.
You can buy movies online now. Or use torrents. For a large portion of world cinema, torrents are the only option because it's impossible to get it otherwise (no official release in your country/language). If that's the case, then the Pandora + TV cable is actually superior to a DVD player because you won't have to burn the films onto DVDs to watch them on TV.

Esn said:
You can buy movies online now. Or use torrents. For a large portion of world cinema, torrents are the only option because it's impossible to get it otherwise (no official release in your country/language). If that's the case, then the Pandora + TV cable is actually superior to a DVD player because you won't have to burn the films onto DVDs to watch them on TV.
That still doesn't make it a DVD player replacement. In many ways, the microwave is superior to a traditional oven, but that doesn't mean it's a replacement for the oven. The Pandora is superior for existing digital formats, but what about the collection of DVDs I already own? Can't play them without converting which makes it inferior to an actual DVD player. That was my point. Don't call something a "replacement" unless it really can replace that object in every functional way.

WizardStan said:
Esn said:
That still doesn't make it a DVD player replacement. In many ways, the microwave is superior to a traditional oven, but that doesn't mean it's a replacement for the oven. The Pandora is superior for existing digital formats, but what about the collection of DVDs I already own? Can't play them without converting which makes it inferior to an actual DVD player. That was my point. Don't call something a "replacement" unless it really can replace that object in every functional way.

If you plugging you Pandora up to a TV, you might as well plug up a USB DVD rom, if that is one of your requirements. They can be found for as little as 30$ US online. No one ever said that the Pandora as it stands is a be all end all solution to anything, but one of the greatest things about it is it's expandability.

mindlord said:
If you plugging you Pandora up to a TV, you might as well plug up a USB DVD rom, if that is one of your requirements. They can be found for as little as 30$ US online. No one ever said that the Pandora as it stands is a be all end all solution to anything, but one of the greatest things about it is it's expandability.
And a brand new DVD player can be had for under $20 at many electronics stores, or at least Wal Mart if you don't want to shop around.
No one may have said it was the be all end all solution, but Esn did say that it was a DVD replacement, which it certainly is not. Home entertainment enhancement, that can work in conjunction with your DVD player, and supplement in ways that a DVD player wasn't meant to do, yes, but it can't play DVDs anymore than I can bake cookies in the microwave.

WizardStan said:
And a brand new DVD player can be had for under $20 at many electronics stores, or at least Wal Mart if you don't want to shop around.
No one may have said it was the be all end all solution, but Esn did say that it was a DVD replacement, which it certainly is not. Home entertainment enhancement, that can work in conjunction with your DVD player, and supplement in ways that a DVD player wasn't meant to do, yes, but it can't play DVDs anymore than I can bake cookies in the microwave.

I thought it would seem obvious that the reason that you don't go buy a 20$ DVD player at Wal-Mart is because when paired with a computer (or Pandora) a USB DVD ROM adds functionality without being a single purpose device.

Oh, and BTW: http://www.ehow.com/how_4995194_make-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

mindlord said:
WizardStan said:
...but it can't play DVDs anymore than I can bake cookies in the microwave.
Oh, and BTW: http://www.ehow.com/how_4995194_make-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
http://www.buuurn.com

B)

WizardStan said:
Don't call something a "replacement" unless it really can replace that object in every functional way.
If you want to be pedantic about it, then mp3 isn't a CD replacement, which wasn't a tape replacement, which wasn't a gramophone record replacement, which wasn't a phonograph cylinder replacement, because all of those had some functions that didn't make it onto the next technological innovation.

Realistically, though, you see a lot more mp3 players than CD players these days (though there are still people buying gramophone records, as well).

Let's just call it "something that will serve mostly the same function", then.

mindlord, thanks for pointing out the DVD-USB thing. That looks potentially useful (also, it's a much smaller thing to carry around than a DVD player, which is typically the size of a laptop at least, and has tons of wires).

Esn said:
If you want to be pedantic about it, then mp3 isn't a CD replacement, which wasn't a tape replacement, which wasn't a gramophone record replacement, which wasn't a phonograph cylinder replacement, because all of those had some functions that didn't make it onto the next technological innovation.
Who's being pedantic? I've never known someone to call any of those a replacement. Everyone seems to understand that MP3 players and CD players, while doing similar things, are still different technologies with different purposes (Excepting the new CD players which can read CDRs with MP3 files on them)

Esn said:
Let's just call it "something that will serve mostly the same function", then.
Thank you, that's all I ask. I've been known to use the wrong word to describe something myself, and won't hesitate to correct the misunderstanding when it's pointed out.

rabidpoobear said:
atomicthumbs said:

Edit:

Vorporeal said:
In relation to the size, the official quote is "Dimensions: 140x83.4x27.5mm".

Not sure where you got 3.2" from, but 1.08" should be much easier to fit in your pocket. ;)

Most times dimensions are written as WxYxZ , W= width, Y = height, Z = depth.
83.4mm in inches is 3.28 inches.
You are probably thinking of height as the vertical thickness when placed on a horizontal plane with the largest surface touching the plane.

Yeah - I learned that height is from the ground to the sky, width is left to right, and depth is front to back. It's the same way in OpenGL, so I guess I've got a bit of reinforcement there lol.

Back