Quick and Dirty CPU comparison between Pyra and OpenPandora

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
To give a rough idea of how much more powerfull the Pyra will be, here is a quick and dirty comparison.

Using the exact same code, quick comparison of the same game running on a Gigahertz OpenPandora and on a early Pyra prototype.

Ardentryst is a PyGame game, using only SDL 1.2, and having a lot of transparent blit.

On the Pandora, the game runs using the accelerated "omapdss" driver (and so is fullscreen). Also, options have been changed from default and it use minimum (to limit number of background planes on the parallax scrolling). Settings are default one on the Pyra.

The Pyra is an early Prototype, and the CPU (double core) frequency is limited to 1GHz (same as Pandora).
There are still some strange freeze, not sure why (not CPU-related).

When you know what's already runs on the Pandora...

Last edited:
Does this game use the graphics acceleration at all? How far is the gpu driver on the Pyra anyway, it it usable, or is it currently limited to software rendering?

I think the 1GHz cap in the dts was something needed on the old CPU boards and most likely remains because aTc is still working on an extremely older prototype.

3D acceleration works, just needs some development work to get working with the rotation. The guys say this should be trivial, just needs time to work it out. EvilDragon put the priority on this issue pretty low for the moment as the devs need to shake down any hardware issues that may remain.

Wow nice Video,thank you.

I tried Ardentryst on Pandora too and it was realy slow.

We do not have still a full working 3D Driver?
There are even many other interresting 2D Things :)
Hope we have it on the Gamescom.

Maybe i can take my PrePreordered Pyra @ the Gamescom..yay :D

Do the 4 GB RAM now work fine?

Btw:
In the Moment i am still working on a rescent Pandora Mplayer Version with DirectFB,Neon support,LibDvD support and many other extras.
..but i have some Tiff LZMA Errors @near the End of Compiling.

Do we have a good working Mplayer on the Pyra?

My Whish is to test the Speed of Qemu for the next Generation of X86 on the Pyra.
Maybe Windows2000/XP Games with full playable 2D Games :D

Android for more Games too but still PyraOS as Main OS

Again..good Video with a Hint of the real Speed Comparsion.

That unit still has the CPU board without the capacitor fixes in there.
And the OS is still very early, so it could be anything :)

Will all of the prototypes produced at this stage be pre-capacitor-fix? I.e. CPU running limited speed?

We do not have still a full working 3D Driver?
It's working, just not with the rotation method yet like I posted in the prior post.
Do we have a good working Mplayer on the Pyra?
I use smplayer currently on the omap5 devboard, however currently there is no CPU friendly scaling method for it yet.

My Whish is to test the Speed of Qemu for the next Generation of X86 on the Pyra.
Last I tested Qemu, it had garbage performance compared to Exagear Desktop.

Will all of the prototypes produced at this stage be pre-capacitor-fix? I.e. CPU running limited speed?
I can't find where he posted, but I think there was still an outstanding order for CPU boards with all the fixes. If so, at present all prototypes will have no capacitor fix, except for those fixed by hand by Niklaus (and I guess they're his to keep, at least for now).

I'm all about quick and dirty comparisons.

You're lucky to have a prototype. God damn it.

Back