Quick Change Cpu Speeds

Pleng

To add some CPU speed presets to your menu, download this PND to the pandora/menu folder on one of your SD cards.

Presets are 500, 600, 700, 750, 800, 870

unpack the attached archive to the menu folder of one of your SD cards.This will add some shortcuts to your 'system' menu, however they won't actually function yet. To give these scripts the authority to access the CPU speed, you need to open up a terminal and type the following:

sudo chmod a+w /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max

Now you can test the scripts. Run one of them from the menu, and then launch the normal CPU Speed utility. It should now show the CPU speed you selected from the menu.

Oh nice, thanks. I did this one myself a few weeks back.

You can do the same for brightness settings too. These days I just use the CPU scaler mapped to ctrl-alt-c.

Why not make a pnd installer for these little hacks?

Ie: g sudo it to popup he sudo prompt as needed whilecopyng in bits or chmodding; the pnd would jut be a runs riot with a few files to copy so not hard to make?

I like the idea .. Probably can't build them into the firmware for legal sake, but common desire I bet to jump to 600, 700, 800 etc.

Hmm, we really just need an easy .ovr generator so people can flag pnds to run at desired speeds, perhaps? Whose up to it .. Pygtk awaits :)

Jeffphone

skeezix said:
Why not make a pnd installer for these little hacks?

because I don't know how..?

Ie: g sudo it to popup he sudo prompt as needed whilecopyng in bits or chmodding; the pnd would jut be a runs riot with a few files to copy so not hard to make?

If somebody else wants to do that the can by all means go ahead. It's just something I wanted to do for myself but thought the least I could do was share it. Packing it up as a PND with an installer breaks the 'least I can do' threshold so I'm quite happy to NOT do it ;)

edit: besides which it gets a little more complicated than that... either your gonna have a PND which includes an installer script AND the CPU scripts, with no way to remove the installer from the menu once it's been done, or you're going to have to include the installer in each individual script in an if statement, using appdata to somehow store if the chmod has been successfully completed

I like the idea .. Probably can't build them into the firmware for legal sake, but common desire I bet to jump to 600, 700, 800 etc.

Hmm to be honest I tend to switch my unit to 750 at startup and be done with it. Doesn't seem to have any negative impact on my battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max appears to loose it's new privileges after a reset. I guess some script running as root is setting it on boot? Does anybody know how to fix this?

/process is populated at runtime I imagine so your changes gt lost. Have to set the perms different internally or during a bootscript

but fair enough on your 'least' principle :)

jeffphone

You should better just run op_cpuspeed.sh from your scripts:
Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 500

this way you won't need to chmod or enter the password.

notaz said:
Code:

What I wanted to know. Thank you :)

Should have read the script more carefully.

notaz said:
Code:

Thanks, have updated and made a PND (see first post)

Noted a tiiiiny error with op_cpuspeed.sh script. If you set your CPU speed to 600 it gives you a warning that the speed is greater than 600.

Pleng said:
notaz said:
Code:

Thanks, have updated and made a PND (see first post)

Noted a tiiiiny error with op_cpuspeed.sh script. If you set your CPU speed to 600 it gives you a warning that the speed is greater than 600.

You can edit out the Zenity popup from the script. :)

I know I can. I was just giving feedback. It should really be fixed in one of the hotfixes. It's a nice easy fix too :)

Pleng said:
I know I can. I was just giving feedback. It should really be fixed in one of the hotfixes. It's a nice easy fix too :)
did you file a bug report?

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
did you file a bug report?

not yet. will get around to it...

Alternative:

Create the file /home/[user name]/applications/settings/xfce4/panel/launcher-[unique number].rc
and insert this:
Code:
[Global]
MoveFirst=false
ArrowPosition=3

[Entry 0]
Name=500Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 500
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 1]
Name=500Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 500
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 2]
Name=550Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 550
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 3]
Name=600Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 600
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 4]
Name=650Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 650
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 5]
Name=700Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 700
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 6]
Name=750Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 750
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 7]
Name=800Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 800
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 8]
Name=850Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 850
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Entry 9]
Name=900Mhz
Icon=forward
Exec=sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh 900
Path=./
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

This will put a small black arrow pointing up on your taskbar with another small yellowish arrow under it. Clicking the small yellow arrow will set the clock back to default. Clicking the black arrow will give a list of clock speeds (500-900) in 50mhz increments.

mindlord said:
Alternative:

Create the file /home/[user name]/applications/settings/xfce4/panel/launcher-[unique number].rc
I love your version, but you need to edit also :
$HOME/Applications/Settings/xfce4/panel/panels.xml
to place the luncher somewhere :)

sebt3 said:
mindlord said:
Alternative:

I love your version, but you need to edit also :
$HOME/Applications/Settings/xfce4/panel/panels.xml
to place the luncher somewhere :)
If you just drop it in the directory the lanucher will appear in your panel immediately left of the "notification area". You can just right click and select move to position it elsewhere if you like.

Upload it to dl.openhandhelds and the app-store, so they dont' get lost? I bet lots of people will like this :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Upload it to dl.openhandhelds and the app-store, so they dont' get lost? I bet lots of people will like this :)

jeff

I don't have an account on either. Feel free to upload it yourself if you like. Though you might want to wait until I get my Pandora back and have had a chance to resolve the appdata issue!

Back