Quick Dpad Test

zohnnyg

hi openpandora devs. you can really put that dpad to the test using it to play street fighter 2 and marvel vs capcom or street fighter alpha 1,2,3. test it for an couple hours over time doing all the moves from the street fighter guys like ken and ryu. im just saying because i was playing mugen and i was using doctor doom and ken. well after a few days playing and throwing fireballs and helicopter kicks my dpad snapped off. it was a seitek that cost $35.00. i forget which specific controller it was. but anyway im scared of something like that happening on pandora. whoever can please test the dpad. give it a good kicking hehe.

I don't think it can snap off. It's just a flat disc sitting on a membrane.

None the less, I'm sure there are plenty of people interested in such a test. Are any of the devs fighter players I wonder?

Gruso said:
I don't think it can snap off. It's just a flat disc sitting on a membrane.

None the less, I'm sure there are plenty of people interested in such a test. Are any of the devs fighter players I wonder?

EvilDragon apparently not:

EvilDragon said:
jonlad1 said:
How is the D pad ED? you think it'll be durable enough for hardened Street Fighter veterans?

Hard to say, as I can't play Street Fighter with any sticks or pads (I'm not into fighting games and can't memorize combos :D )
But it feels very good and should be very sturdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear and tear via these fighting games would be considered normal.
If the d-pad is fucked, because of excessive use via fighting games, open Pandora's box and fix her up, then replace the the Double-D-Pad, lol.

EDIT: I love Street Fighter II games. I'm awesome at them!!! B)

Anyone know if DaveC has received a finished unit yet? Would love to hear his verdict on the finished unit...

Dave - I'm sure I'm not alone in being very interested in your review. We all know you had a lot of input, but would be great to hear your thoughts once you get your hands on one.

Dave designed the Dpad on the Pandora.

I've played SF2 and was able to do the basic moves (haduken, sonic boom), I don't know the complex ones.

craigix said:
Is there a pad considered perfect for all types of gaming? The SNES one maybe?

Yeah, in all my years of gaming, SNES was BEST(hands down)! Worked well for everything, shooters, fighters, and of course platformers! Although the small 6 button genesis/megadrive pad was pretty kick ass also! The six button layout made it premo for fighters. It was the succesor to the Saturns 6 button Japanese pad! Another classic!

Jumpman

zohnnyg said:
hi openpandora devs. you can really put that dpad to the test using it to play street fighter 2 and marvel vs capcom or street fighter alpha 1,2,3. test it for an couple hours over time doing all the moves from the street fighter guys like ken and ryu. im just saying because i was playing mugen and i was using doctor doom and ken. well after a few days playing and throwing fireballs and helicopter kicks my dpad snapped off. it was a seitek that cost $35.00. i forget which specific controller it was. but anyway im scared of something like that happening on pandora. whoever can please test the dpad. give it a good kicking hehe.
Yupp, with marvel vs capcom you can do Special Moves very easily, perfect test for D-Pad Quality. Simply some 180° turns from left, down, to right and vice versa plus heavy Button mashing works miracles. :D
Even onto the GP2X F100 you was able to do some nice Moves, of course the F100 Stick was actualy totaly crap. I've tried "Gianas Return" and gave up on level 4. :lol:
I really Hope the Pandora D-Pad is better than that, pixel-exact-jumps and such stuff are a very good test for an D-Pad. I really want to see some Pro's test the Pandora Controls and compare to other (Mobile) Devices.

A good DPAD test can be done playing Tecmo World Cup Soccer in the NES.

If you can make cross shots using the diagonals, then the DPAD is perfect. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6GzDloQrg#t=0m40s

craigix said:
Is there a pad considered perfect for all types of gaming? The SNES one maybe?

I personally love the saturn d-pad but I wouldn't know if it is any good for streetfighter games as I haven't played them much.

jajaja, the same happened to me with my old Genius Gamepad.
i really dont know why anyone would design the double disc
model it just snaps too easily.

also the SNES DPad really did make the very best controler i ever had, i still use em with the direct pad drivers.
sad my new laptop doesnt have Parallel port

If you want to test the quality of the diagonals, play Q-bert. That game is a blast with a good dpad and a nightmare with a crappy one, and it's all about the diagonals. You'll know in 30 sec if the dpad is working the way it's supposed to.

craigix said:
The SNES one maybe?
Absolutely. :D (Though I find the standard, non-giant Saturn pads to be a close second.)

andyB911 said:
Anyone know if DaveC has received a finished unit yet? Would love to hear his verdict on the finished unit...

Dave - I'm sure I'm not alone in being very interested in your review. We all know you had a lot of input, but would be great to hear your thoughts once you get your hands on one.
No your not alone with this request. I'd be very happy to know if it gets the DaveC seal of approval :)

Chip said:
If you want to test the quality of the diagonals, play Q-bert. That game is a blast with a good dpad and a nightmare with a crappy one, and it's all about the diagonals. You'll know in 30 sec if the dpad is working the way it's supposed to.

If it proves less than adequate, there'll be a market for a 'cap' for the DPad, that gives you diagonal control surfaces instead!

Yep, the SNES pad is the ultimate pad. It's never been beaten in my opinion. Though, I've never used a Saturn controller.

On a related topic, I remember laughing at the console owners back when I had my Speccy and was using Quickshot II's or Kempston style joysticks. How humbled I was to discover that the d-pad based controllers were in fact much better for most games. Mind you, a Kempston joystick blu-tacked to the table makes a pretty good 'arcade style' joystick!

I do agree though, that to be able to perform diagonals with the pandora pad is ESSENTIAL. Most Atari ST games, for instance are now useless on my GP32 since the stick went wonkey (lot's of ST games used 'up' for jump)

I really like the PS2 controller, the split dpad makes it easy to press diagonally. Dual analogs, dual shoulders and built in vibrators. I guess the new Dual Shock 3 are even better but I haven't tried one. The problem of course is the dual analogs because your thumbs will slide on them, I also have problem remembering where each face button is because of the icons used, I don't play very much though. I can't remember if I liked the SNES dpad more or less though.

Back