Quick Simple Mod

Exo

Website
Visit site
just a quick one ..
This mod will do nothing more than let you use gp:\gpmm\doom for storage

open up GPdoom.fxe (v9) in a hex editor (i like hexworkshop best)
Edit>goto> offset 000712B9 and change 67616D65 to 67706D6D
Edit>goto> offset 00071311 and change 67616D65 to 67706D6D

(with offset make sure you do select from "beginning of file")

for older versions or if you prefer use the Find and search for \game\ and change it to \gpmm\ then do a second search and also change that \game\ to \gpmm\

if the fxe is compressed it will not work without first decompressing it
(v9 dose not compress ??)

finally copy the dir gp:\game\doom to gp:\gpmm\doom

Now run doom and it will load / save files and load wads from gp:\gpmm\doom folder
I tested
Saving
with and without an extra wad and it all works fine

just a little something I did seemed more convenient so I though I would share ;)

Enjoy

Just for your information, GAME\DOOM is used because it was Gamepark's original plan for FXE's to go in GPMM and game data to go in GAME. This would have the useful result of reducing clutter in the GPMM directory. I hate it that so many games put their data in GPMM, it means that when I go to launch a game using PacRom, it takes me ages to find the FXE in amongst all the directory listings.

Still, I'm about to put out a new version of Doom with some minor bugfixes, so if people want the data in GPMM rather than GAME, have your say here.

It'll hurt me to do it, but I am nothing if not democratic :)

Just for your information, GAME\DOOM is used because it was Gamepark's original plan for FXE's to go in GPMM and game data to go in GAME. This would have the useful result of reducing clutter in the GPMM directory. I hate it that so many games put their data in GPMM, it means that when I go to launch a game using PacRom, it takes me ages to find the FXE in amongst all the directory listings.

Still, I'm about to put out a new version of Doom with some minor bugfixes, so if people want the data in GPMM rather than GAME, have your say here.

It'll hurt me to do it, but I am nothing if not democratic :)
There is going to be an update? AWESOME :)

Will it be a bit smoother at 133? That will save batteries especially with the BLU.

As far as the directory structure, I don't mind it the way it is. I guess you can make an entry in the config screen where you set the speed etc. for "set default WAD dir" that way the user can decide the way they want it, and everyone will be happy. I am a big fan of config screens as opposed to hardcoded, as this way you are not forced into any particular setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I always liked it in game; only time I've ever had a real problem with a choice of a directory was with Snes9xgp, where all roms, saves, and anything else, had to go in GPMM straight - which meant for a *lot* of clutter...

Personally, I always liked it in game; only time I've ever had a real problem with a choice of a directory was with Snes9xgp, where all roms, saves, and anything else, had to go in GPMM straight - which meant for a *lot* of clutter...
Oh yeah, I remember that. Then it was changed to GP:\SNES, which was really annoying if you were using another SNES emulator other than SNES9xGP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for your information, GAME\DOOM is used because it was Gamepark's original plan for FXE's to go in GPMM and game data to go in GAME. This would have the useful result of reducing clutter in the GPMM directory

Thanks for the info it dose seem to make more sense but everything I have excluding doom uses the GPMM to load/save files so why fight it ?
its going to be clutterd if theres a doom folder in there or not ;)

I hate it that so many games put their data in GPMM

The method I used should work on emus as long as they are not compressed
If the dir is writen into the fxe you sould beable to change it from gpmm to game if you want :D

yep game/doom

every other developer should also put all their files in the game directory i think...

It is a good idea....
(what is GPSYS for by the way...???)

Back