Release Race! A Neo Geo Pocket Color Emulator

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hey guys, decided I'd drop you a beta of a port of RACE! the Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator.

You can find it here!

There are a few quirks with it atm, but in general I'm quite happy to say it seems fairly stable.

Roms go in sd://pandora/appdata/race

In the menu, use X to select a rom, B takes you to the options menu, but it isn't setup to actually do anything yet and even mentions the PSP still...

load/save states aren't implemented atm (sorry, I had it working on GP2X, but then realized it only worked with the C z80 core, not Dr.Z80, so I gotta fix that up first) BUT normal saves seem to work as of hotfix 2.

In game, X is the NGPC's A button and B is B (due to placement being closer to NGPC's)

I used a simple 3X scaling for the resolution, hope you're ok with that, before the screen was about the size of a stamp on the pandora's screen :p

Umm, dunno what else I was gonna say... Really all the credit should go to Flavor, Thor and Judge, it's their piece of awesome...

I'll probably wait to see if I can get a slightly fixed up version with a readme and such setup before trying to upload it to the archive or pandora apps website (damn it, just call it the app box or some other clever little thing relating to the mythology already :p )

*June 13, updated to make menu more readable*
*June 15th, updated to make Y button select and add use of the left analog as the joystick... please inform me if it is not sensitive enough or too sensitive for your liking...*
*June 25th, might be a little slower, but I'm trying to get the audio timing better, please try it and let me know!*

You know it Skeezix ;)

I figured porting a piece of software I was already familiar with would be a good test of the toolchain and help me figure out some of the small pandora specifics before diving in and trying to create something a bit more original ;)

Hooka said:
You know it Skeezix ;)

I figured porting a piece of software I was already familiar with would be a good test of the toolchain and help me figure out some of the small pandora specifics before diving in and trying to create something a bit more original ;)

Sounds great. I've never played the Neo Geo Pocket, but now's a perfect time to start. One suggestion for a future release, tho'. Would you make it so that users can choose their rom directory? I doubt many people want to have to store their roms in an appdata directory. I know I have a separate directory /roms on the root of my sd, and I'm sure there are other people with similar setups.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Hooka said:
You know it Skeezix ;)

Sounds great. I've never played the Neo Geo Pocket, but now's a perfect time to start. One suggestion for a future release, tho'. Would you make it so that users can choose their rom directory? I doubt many people want to have to store their roms in an appdata directory. I know I have a separate directory /roms on the root of my sd, and I'm sure there are other people with similar setups.

-God Ginrai

yeah this. i was actually wanting to store all my programs on one SD, and all my media (including ROMS) on the other... but it doesnt seem like that's possible with any emulators at all yet... (at least none that i've tried).

thanks a lot for the emu hooka, gona fire it up now!

gibberish said:
i was actually wanting to store all my programs on one SD, and all my media (including ROMS) on the other... but it doesnt seem like that's possible with any emulators at all yet... (at least none that i've tried).
Well, it's certainly possible with all the emulators I've tried (and that's quite a few).

SteveM said:
gibberish said:
i was actually wanting to store all my programs on one SD, and all my media (including ROMS) on the other... but it doesnt seem like that's possible with any emulators at all yet... (at least none that i've tried).
Well, it's certainly possible with all the emulators I've tried (and that's quite a few).

i get errors about mounting the SD card when i try it. but thats something for a different thread.

what i wanted to ask was, how the hell do you quit back to the rom list from the game? and how do you quit the emulator without killing it with the pandora button?

gibberish said:
SteveM said:
gibberish said:

i get errors about mounting the SD card when i try it. but thats something for a different thread.

what i wanted to ask was, how the hell do you quit back to the rom list from the game? and how do you quit the emulator without killing it with the pandora button?

Go to /media/ in the file system. each SD is stored in an mmcblk*p* folder. (replace * with numbers) There may be more folders than there are SDs. the extra ones are empty, you'll just have to do some searching until you find the right one. I haven't seen more than 4 of such folders at a time, anyways.

-God Ginrai

Ok, sorry, knew I should've waited till I had a readme ready and everything... holding select and start together will exit the emu

And you can put the roms somewhere else and then browse your way to them, the file selector lets you traverse directories... I just tell people to put their roms there the same as Zodttd telling people to put the psx games in the psx4pandora-1 dir because it makes it easier on the user and us atm because it's the first location that the emu will look for roms...

Finally, with the way the emu is setup atm, it is impossible to get back to the rom menu after loading a game, I can look into it, but it's not setup to do so atm.

Hooka said:
yeah, no zipped rom support atm
Thanks Hooka, this emu is in great shape. Runs very well with hardly any glitches at all. Could use a better front end though(a little bigger).

The race on the GP2X didn't support zips either, so my set on my computer was actually ready to go.

Chris

Yeah, the splash screen and the menu need to be resized and fixed up.

Anybody wanna give me a heads up on whether they'd rather have select as the Y button? Would be closer to the neo geo pocket's button setup that way (and would make switching weapons in metal slug alot easier....)

Just played a few games and they all run really well, you've done a great job there Hooka. My only complaint which isn't really a complaint is it's hard to read the games list, probably ok for everyone else but I'm as blind as a bat, lol. Apart from that I'm well impressed with it :)

Never played NeoGeo pocket... so I grabbed the sonic game.
Emulator works great!
Menu font needs to be larger.
Need a way to get back to romlist
Need savestates

Also is the timing off? Music seems to speed up/slow down and drives me kinda wonky since I'm a music nut.

Great Job!

HackModFord: I'll give it a look, sonic is a tricky one to judge that by, cause when you get the shoes it speeds up the music to signify the speed increase of your player, but I'll see if I can figure out if it's something wrong or just how sonic acts...

For everyone concerned about the menu, I'll definitely be atleast increasing the font size and screen space for it here soon :)

what format must the roms be in? the selector shows only zip files but crashes when i load one ..

Back