Raspberry Pi 4 released

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Delightful Dude, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Kentron

Kentron Still Fresh

I just received a 1GB and 4GB model.
    Looks like they were planning a 8GB model, as it's mentioned in the user guide.

CommanderB, levi and ClockworkCoder like this.
  2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

FBnil likes this.
  3. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Ordered with Element14 (Newark), the shipping date keeps being pushed out... wish they could just solidly tell me it's going to be delayed for a month instead of pushing the shipping date out every two days.

4. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

Yep that is pissing me off. I had 05 Jul, then 12 Jul, now 16 Jul. I paid them almost a month ago.

At no point did they say "backordered" and they are charging $11 for shipping.

Not happy about this. Might cancel it and get an in stock 2GB from someone else.

5. ZXDunny

ZXDunny Deep avatar

Waiting for an updated board with bug fixes before I plunge on this one. But damn, I am so getting one when the issues are ironed out.

Nintendo, Stainy and Swordfish II like this.
  6. Stainy

Stainy Well-Known Member

Me too.. waiting for the fix.

7. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

I've only heard about some quirkyness with some USB-C chargers... what else is reported wrong?

Nintendo likes this.
  8. Stainy

Stainy Well-Known Member

Just that.... some chargers are coming up as audio devices or something.

9. Chip

Chip [Insert Custom Title Here]

The issue is that the USB-C power circuit doesn't follow the spec. There are two pins that are each supposed to have a separate resistor, but they designed the board with a single shared resistor for those pins. It's a small thing, but it means that many high-current power supplies will limit themselves because they won't see the RPi4 as a high current device, and it won't be enough power for the board to actually boot. It also means that a few fast chargers (the pixel charger, for sure) mistakenly think the RPi4 can handle high voltage charging. It definitely can't, and this results in a fried RPi.

So not the end of the world as long as you limit yourself to confirmed-compatible power supplies, but it's still an irritating mistake that could and should have been avoided.

10. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

According to the link I posted, it's possible that a USB-C power supply will not only see it as something that can't take high current charging, but actually something that shouldn't have the power line connected at all, because they are audio adaptors that don't have any active electronics on board but allow you to still plug in a charger so that you haven't lose the charge port on a single port phone. Presumably they pwm the data lines to give you stereo headphone output or something like that, but I've never actually come across on of these so called adaptors before so I'm guessing there.

And it's not so much that you need a compatible power supply. You need a dumb power supply that can chuck out a chunk of juice, and thanks to the wonderful new world of USB-C apparently you need to make sure the cable your using doesn't have too many smarts either. You could argue that compatible == dumb, but it's not something you'll read on the box features many times.