Raspberry Pi as ftp server?

Nognir

Still Fresh
Website
www.planet-gamepark.de
I was thinking whether I should get myself a Raspberry Pi to build a mini ftp/mpd server in order to have access to the files and media of my external drive when away fom home. I was told that the file transfer performance of that would be too slow to be usable... Any thoughts on that?

Access to files should be fine but if you mean to stream media from it I doubt the rPi could keep up.  I talked to and did simple data transfer to and from my rPi and Pandora between Tokyo, Japan and Chicago,IL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think streaming music would be that cpu intensive... Is there another solution on that in the <100E range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending data is no problem for a 700 mhz cpu. For a simple linux far less is enough to act as a file server via ftp. Using an arm based system (openrd ultimate) for file transfers too, even with encrypted filesystems I have more then 10MB/s over ethernet with smb. Be careful that your bandwidth is enough. I streamed a rendered animation over my slow internet connection (was almost not compressed), it was very slow.

Back