Raspberry Pi Handheld (Pyra competitor)

i forget which news site it was, but one of the articles covering the Pyra mentioned that you'd be able to build a Pyra-like device for half the cost...

and this is what it would look like...

if you had Ben Heck's resources...

Who watches Ben Heck and expects to be able to do the same things he does? I like it sometimes but he often used things not available to the general public.

i forget which news site it was, but one of the articles covering the Pyra mentioned that you'd be able to build a Pyra-like device for half the cost...

and this is what it would look like...

if you had Ben Heck's resources...

RPi Zero is also no OMAP5, not by a long shot. Something like a Gumstix module would get closer but still not really there. And this is very lacking in inputs and ports vs Pyra.

You'd really need a significantly larger eval board, like the MediaTek Helio X20 one. You might still be able to pull off something as small or smaller than a Pyra with that.

I wonder if he does commission work, like if he'd build a Pyra-esque device around a board like that for a few tens of thousands (then sell additional ones at a reasonable per-unit cost)

Well, not really a competitor :)
Ah, you got me. I don't think I would really want to use it. Cool project, though.

I got bored watching it pretty early on and started skipping around. There were some things I was going to ask about, however they feel out of my sleep deprived brain. I prefer the angle/curve/whatever of the back of the lid better than the Pandora/Pyra.

Oh, I was going to ask about the display. They mentioned it briefly at the end when I sat and let them show it off and paid attention. Did they mention what display this was and the price? I am wondering because of the problems ED had getting a display for the Pyra.

It needs some gaming controls or a built in mouse. If only there was a Linux handheld that had all the things I am looking for.

Aw man, the title made me hope for another interesting kickstarter project :D Still, nice video. And the device doesn't look half bad (it made me realize how happy I'm with my Pandora's keyboard though).

Back