SteamBoy : Play STeam games on the go

Not a bad thing for Pyra i think.

We will have a better processor (ARM vs x86), better battery, better connectivity (more USB, eSATA), more storage (three SD slots).
while I like the pandora/pyra form factor much more. And I'm not too keen on touchpad controls. Not to mention no physical keyboard.

It is also *likely* to have more external storage options, and ports, but I have seen nothing final as far as specs aside from the 4GB ram and quad core intel processor, and 32GB internal. (what battery life are you comparing???) You are probably right though, but your comment seems rather quick to dismiss given that the majority of those factors are completely unknown on both devices.

All those things would be grounds for making it not a even comparison and not much competition.

However, the "better processor" comment is completely subjective though. To say one is better without knowing either's true endstate is just absurd. A blanket comment of ARM is better than x86 is just wrong. Both have things they are capable of doing that the other is just flat out not capable of doing.

Arm is a better fit for the pyra considering it's objectives and it's constraints, but there is without a doubt a market for an x86/x64 pyra if a magic wand could be waved over the device and it just worked. (wand=money) The decision between the two had nothing to do with which was a better processor or not, just a better fit for the project.

I am excited to see the first x86 handheld, and I personally want one to play with if it ever sees the light of day. None of the reasons I want one will be using it's main feature which is steam streaming which last time I checked is one thing not offered on the pyra/pandora that other devices currently offer... including my x86 laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it'll not be called "Steamboy".

It would be so pathetic if Valve would name it similar to Nintendo's "Gameboy".

Really.

It's funny how everyone seems to wilfully overlook there is reason to doubt it's even a real announcement.

e3insider.com, which seems to be an official e3 site with a complete list of announced products and games doesn't list "Steamboy".

"steamboy site:e3insider.com" doesn't get me any results on different search engines either, so I wasn't just too dumb to navigate that site.

Edit: To repeat the already given information:

http://www.indiemag.fr/news/edit-pas-console-portable-steam

This source states it was a prank.

Look the domain http://www.steamboymachine.com up in whois. It belongs to "Antonio De La Torre Perez" from Mallorca. This doesn't seem right to me, it should be a company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back