Re-arranging the start menu

Stainy

Advanced Member
I have googled and can't find a thing..

I want to change a few things in the start menu ie..replace pndstore with pndmanager ( at the bottom of the menu )

How do I do that??

This may help by easily creating ovr files via a gui, to recategorise yours pnds to better suited menu positions than the included pxml files info by the author http://www.mediafire.com/?v9pds8txfcey1p4 (ovr editor & pnd aware application launcher by Caine)

(it's not on the repo but listed here http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects with a link to the discussion thread on the forum).

I've only found a few stubborn pnds that refuse to shift, in which case a manually made ovr file may work.

edit: to fix dumb android auto correction!  :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit fiddly.

The file you want is /etc/xdg/op/menus/xfce-applications.menu

To change PNDStore to PNDManger, open up that file and change "op_pndstore.desktop" to whatever PNDManger's desktop file is called (look in /usr/share/applications/ (it'll be called something like pndmanager#0.desktop).

You'll also need to edit both desktop files - for PNDStore, remove "X-Xfce-Toplevel;", and for PNDManger, add "X-Xfce-Toplevel;" to the categories entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting the error 'can't open file to write' when attempting to edit the desktop files here. Anyone care to chime in on what the problem could be?

Hip: they are write protected.. Best way ( way I did ) was start a terminal. cd to the location where the file is and type ' sudo vi it'll ask for your root password ( that you setup at the very beginning ( when you set up the pandora ))
Hmm this assumes you know vi???

It's a bit fiddly.

The file you want is /etc/xdg/op/menus/xfce-applications.menu

To change PNDStore to PNDManger, open up that file and change "op_pndstore.desktop" to whatever PNDManger's desktop file is called (look in /usr/share/applications/ (it'll be called something like pndmanager#0.desktop).

You'll also need to edit both desktop files - for PNDStore, remove "X-Xfce-Toplevel;", and for PNDManger, add "X-Xfce-Toplevel;" to the categories entry.
Hi.. I had to add the top level again to the desktop file.. Does it get deleted after a reboot?

No, but it gets re-created by the system if you move the PND (by ejecting an SD card for instance - either because the PND itself was on it, or because the card it's on isn't labelled and changed from /media/mmcblk0p1 to /media/mmcblk1p1). It might be an idea to put the PND on nand instead (in /usr/pandora/apps, for instance). Depending on how much PNDManager writes out, it also might then be idea to symlink its appdata directory to a SD card (with the proviso that'll it'll fail to launch if that sd card isn't present).

Alternatively, you could:

1) copy the .desktop file created by the system to a new .desktop file (called something like myPNDManager.desktop).

2) change the extension the PNDManager.pnd file one that doesn't have 'pnd' in it (e.g. PNDManager.custom).

3) Modify you new desktop file to reference your new PND file

4) Delete the .desktop file created by the system.

Back