Can't find the xfce4-panel menu to popup.

purei

Still Fresh
i have no start up menu in xfce4, no battery indicator either. i don't think i altered anything nor was i attempting to change anything. rebooting does not bring back the start menu. i googled the error listed below, but the code snippets did not shed light on it for me.

when trying to execute: xfce4-popup-menu

i get:

** (xfce4-popup-menu:1599): WARNING **: Can't find the xfce4-panel menu to popup.

any ideas? i can run snes9x4p still and firefox works fine [posting from it now]. .pnds seem unaffected.

Probably (probably!) the menu file got screwed somehow.

You can run the apps which are installed on your NAND with Alt+f2 -> application's name.

Your file manager is thunar, terminal is aptly named terminal, the text editor is mousepad.

You can fix that issue with full reflash, I guess, but just out of curiosity, can you open your terminal and run

Code:
ls /etc/xdg/menus/

I believe the menu file - xfce-applications.menu should be there in working Pandora OS. If it's not there, probably someone could upload the file somewhere, so that you could get it and drop there and see what happens.

Does this help with the menu issue?

You can lose items from Xfce's panel if you happen to do something that eats up too much RAM. This isn't exclusive to the Pandora - I've managed it on my Xubuntu box once or twice, too. That's quite possibly where the battery indicator went, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gruso: Yes, I'm on Hotfix 6 Beta 1. I wish I had a guess as to what I did to lose it, but one reboot it just wasn't there.

@Prometheus: That fix worked! I had tried 'customize panel' but foolishly didn't try 'add new items'. They even stick around through reboot.

@Hoodoo: Unfortunately I tried Prometheus' fix before I checked that directory, so I don't know if it was missing before (it's there now). I could run all my PNDs as I lamely keep them all on my desktop at the moment. This also let me already run the file manager (also on the desktop) which, while using it, if you right click on an icon you get the option to 'open up a terminal here', so I was able to run a shell and snoop around a bit. BUT, knowing alt-fn-f2 is going to be a life saver in the future, I'm sure of it.

Thanks much to all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back