GP2X Re:... Drawing The Road On A Top Down 2d Racer

Unfathomable Depths said:
Arrgghhh

No batteries!!! I'll check this out tonight.

Cheers twojame :)
No worries chap...

I've put a new version up as of 14:25 gmt today which has some bug fixes plus it's got the new resources in so I can begin work on the crash animation. The logic to work out collision detection is also in and demonstrated with either a 0/1 being output to the screen.

Hopefully the next release will have the crash animation + ai move left right logic. Then i'm done for now. Thank goodness for that! :D

J

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteFalcon said:
Have not been here for some time, but I can see your game has been progressing really nicely, good luck with it! :)
thanks for that :) ...

I'm really pushing to get it finished now. I've put a new version up with the crash animation and original arcade sound. If I can now get the ai to move about then it'll be done for now.

As jabba would say "yet another reason the gp2x has a delete function"

twojame said:
WhiteFalcon said:
Have not been here for some time, but I can see your game has been progressing really nicely, good luck with it! :)
thanks for that :) ...

I'm really pushing to get it finished now. I've put a new version up with the crash animation and original arcade sound. If I can now get the ai to move about then it'll be done for now.

As jabba would say "yet another reason the gp2x has a delete function"

Right i've kicked major code as* today.

I'm pleased to put up what I consider to be my early beta version. The ai now dart about like a crazy fool! :) Game timer is in along with high score and crash mechanics.

Future versions will have tweaks to gameplay (it's bloody hard at the minute), ai and framerate (it's 45 right now). I want it to have that feel of the arcade like you are darting in and out of the traffic.

This is my first game for the gp2x so please be forthcoming with any comments good or bad :) Link is in my sig, click download once there...Contains pc and gp2x versions.

Monaco GP2x + PC

demo29.gif

dockthepod said:
Nice job man. I ran it on my pc. Yeah, the game is really hard. Those AI are bastards!
heheh... cool. Thanks chap.

I'm going to start tweaking it tomorrow. I've really enjoyed making this.

edit : New version is up with 55fps on this little gp2x. Plays much more smoother as a result. I've smoothened out the controls which we're abit twitchy. The game plays easier as a result of this. Enjoy... or just delete :-D

I got the fps boost because I did have this huge bug within the tiling draw function! opps

Just had a go at the latest version.

The controls are responsive, the collision detection is fine. Like the way you did the dark tunnel sections. Much nicer than the way I suggested.

I agree with dock that the AI is very hard and one other thing Id like to see is rather than the car just slowing down when it hits another car, spin it. Not sure if thats in the original though.

Excellent work twojame :)

Unfathomable Depths said:
Just had a go at the latest version.

The controls are responsive, the collision detection is fine. Like the way you did the dark tunnel sections. Much nicer than the way I suggested.

I agree with dock that the AI is very hard and one other thing Id like to see is rather than the car just slowing down when it hits another car, spin it. Not sure if thats in the original though.

Excellent work twojame :)
thanks very much. I kept looking back at you're suggestion regarding the dark tunnel sections. I was really scratching my head with the actual problem. In the end I just used a black car which of course merges into the background. :), but I was giving some serious thought to you're suggestion and may even go with it.

I've just this minute fired up a new version 0.5.2 which has symbols to show if a tight tunnel section is coming up, but yeah I still think it's quite hard. Perhaps if the ai had the ability to say "oh the player is next to me so I won't ram them off the road" :) ... , but the symbols do make it a touch easier.

2 more things i'd like to do is 1; new level, 2; make the car spin, at the moment it shakes abit, but it's not quite enough...

demo29.gif

Do you think it's worthy to be in the archive? I really feel that i've accomplished one of my life goals. Ever since I was a little boy I've wanted to make a game. I can't stop thinking now of how to make it better. Love it....

Thanks again and thanks to this forum which has helped me in so many ways.

J

I'm going to start working on a proper level now. Another thing I thought this project could use is a level editor in vb6, but I guess i'd only do that if I was going to reuse the engine for another game.

Quick q...Have any of you chaps tried my game on the F200? If so is it working? :-D

edit: i'll find out soon since i've just ordered one.

edit2: it now has a level editor. See the website for more details... FYI: using a tiling based engine was the best decision I made for this game. That just answered my first question of my original post.

Well I can safely say - Yes add it to the archive!

I am currently working on a top down racer - but more of a rally game.

You have managed to answer two of my questions which I was going to post later about level design and control. Only move the car along x axis and I think I am going to go with tiling too. then you can set the collision to the tile.

BTW

Your text files describe the entire course - so for a long course your text file will be bigger? or have you got a fixed file size with "junk" data in?

Typhoon22 said:

You have managed to answer two of my questions which I was going to post later about level design and control. Only move the car along x axis and I think I am going to go with tiling too. then you can set the collision to the tile.

BTW

Your text files describe the entire course - so for a long course your text file will be bigger? or have you got a fixed file size with "junk" data in?
I may add it to the archive later once i've got it more the way I like... :) ..I decided to host the file myself for now (trying to make a few bob from flogging gp2x's) ...

I look forward to hearing more about your rally game. Let me know if I can be of any help testing.

If you try out my new build you may see that I move the car around 20 pixels over the y axis. This helps create the illusion of speed when you 'gas' it. When you take your foot off the gas you then shift the car back over the y axis. Thats what I ended up doing otherwise it looks abit static and locked.

Yeah the tiling system is what allowed me to do collision with x tile etc and the level designer. If you hold L-trigger on my game you can see the debug var's output to the screen. There I'm tracking what tile the car is touching etc. It gets more hard when you want to say 'is the right tire over a right invalid tile (skidding)?', but its doable...

At the moment i've found that for a 60 second level it takes around 4700 tiles or about 1200 rows of actual real tile data. That takes around 7 sec's to load... The faster you scroll the display (very fast in my case) then the more data you'll plough through. I'm looking at having 3 60 second stages so loading or memory shouldn't be an issue.

anyway enough babbling :) Let me know your thoughts and how you get on.

all the best

twojame said:
Typhoon22 said:

BTW

I may add it to the archive later once i've got it more the way I like... :) ..I decided to host the file myself for now (trying to make a few bob from flogging gp2x's) ...

I look forward to hearing more about your rally game. Let me know if I can be of any help testing.

If you try out my new build you may see that I move the car around 20 pixels over the y axis. This helps create the illusion of speed when you 'gas' it. When you take your foot off the gas you then shift the car back over the y axis. Thats what I ended up doing otherwise it looks abit static and locked.

Yeah the tiling system is what allowed me to do collision with x tile etc and the level designer. If you hold L-trigger on my game you can see the debug var's output to the screen. There I'm tracking what tile the car is touching etc. It gets more hard when you want to say 'is the right tire over a right invalid tile (skidding)?', but its doable...

At the moment i've found that for a 60 second level it takes around 4700 tiles or about 1200 rows of actual real tile data. That takes around 7 sec's to load... The faster you scroll the display (very fast in my case) then the more data you'll plough through. I'm looking at having 3 60 second stages so loading or memory shouldn't be an issue.

Hiya,
Its going ok - I'm using glbasic which isn't the best for graphics handling but its real easy to learn on!
I see what you mean with the y axis - Its in a similar vane to other games I used to play in the atari st days
(god I miss those :) ) I have a bit of track at the moment, and I'm trying to get the "camara" to go around it at the moment, just to get a feel of how to load the track and memory usage/speed, the usual stuff, once I've got a semi workable solution/ and a car on the track! I wouldn't mind throwing a copy over to you for any pointers/advice.
My collision detection won't be as good as yours! It'll literally be if the car is on a puddle tile do something, hit a fence tile, rotosprite 360, speed to 5 kind of thing - I'm sure you know what I mean, I'm not going to try an individual wheel just yet!
I'm off to work - when I've got something worth showing I'll message you!

Typhoon22 said:
twojame said:
Typhoon22 said:

BTW

Hiya,
Its going ok - I'm using glbasic which isn't the best for graphics handling but its real easy to learn on!
I see what you mean with the y axis - Its in a similar vane to other games I used to play in the atari st days
(god I miss those :) ) I have a bit of track at the moment, and I'm trying to get the "camara" to go around it at the moment, just to get a feel of how to load the track and memory usage/speed, the usual stuff, once I've got a semi workable solution/ and a car on the track! I wouldn't mind throwing a copy over to you for any pointers/advice.
My collision detection won't be as good as yours! It'll literally be if the car is on a puddle tile do something, hit a fence tile, rotosprite 360, speed to 5 kind of thing - I'm sure you know what I mean, I'm not going to try an individual wheel just yet!
I'm off to work - when I've got something worth showing I'll message you!

I'm looking forward to this. Yeah bung us a build once you get going and i'll check it out for you.

I've put up a new build of Monaco GP2x (v0.9.6) for those who are following along. I've finally put in a crash reset mechanic that I’ve been meaning to-do for ages. The cool thing is all this ‘just works’ because of the tile level system and best of all it will fully work with any user defined levels. Good stuff....

Back