Reactos?

RHCA

Still Fresh
I think I saw once on wikipedia that there was going to be a port from ReactOS to the ARM architecture, so I was thinkin yesterday
Should it be possible to put it on the Pandora???

This has already been discussed. Assuming there was a ARM version, theoretically you could, but all of the programs would have to be ARM-recompiled as well, and that means it wouldn't run any closed-source Windows software--which is msot likely what someone would want out of that,

In theory? Yes.
In reality? Unlikely.

Something like this would be too useless without arm software, at least on the p&|a, but I have used ReactOS v0.3.0 on one of my ANCIENT computers and I loved it.

Your best bet for running windows software is probably wine + qemu. But that would be slower than molasses on the surface of the Europa satelite.

Maybe the point of porting ReactOS to ARM is making it compatible with Windows Mobile/CE.

timofonic said:
Maybe the point of porting ReactOS to ARM is making it compatible with Windows Mobile/CE.
Windows Mobile and Windows CE are "Windows" in name only. Emulating a WinXP environment on an ARM processor does not make it compatible with WM or CE. I'm not even sure why you would want an ARM version of ReactOS, other than to prove you can. Maybe that's why the project is so far behind (still non-functional) the x86 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
timofonic said:
Windows Mobile and Windows CE are "Windows" in name only. Emulating a WinXP environment on an ARM processor does not make it compatible with WM or CE. I'm not even sure why you would want an ARM version of ReactOS, other than to prove you can. Maybe that's why the project is so far behind (still non-functional) the x86 version.

They just started the ARM version a couple months ago, if that.

Personally, I think a port would be pretty cool. A little silly, but it would give a new environment for running games. Not that I think this would be good, necessarily, because it might cause a split within the community. Still an interesting project, though.

Yrx said:
Personally, I think a port would be pretty cool. A little silly, but it would give a new environment for running games. Not that I think this would be good, necessarily, because it might cause a split within the community. Still an interesting project, though.
Heh. Stick with that which is robust. It's an interesting exercise, but as a new environment for running games- heh, WinCE's API for this stuff is nasty to work with. :D

Svartalf said:
Yrx said:
Heh. Stick with that which is robust. It's an interesting exercise, but as a new environment for running games- heh, WinCE's API for this stuff is nasty to work with. :D

But it's not WinCE. :p

the winCE API is very similar to the base Win32 libs iirc. Doesn't mean that they are good though.

i remember programming using the win32 libs, it sucked pretty bad.

Chip said:
They've made considerable progress, considered they completely redid their code back in, oh, 2001 was it? Anyway, I'd expect no less than what ReactOS gives when developers are working to redo a closed-source OS.

sephiroth111 said:
the winCE API is very similar to the base Win32 libs iirc. Doesn't mean that they are good though.

i remember programming using the win32 libs, it sucked pretty bad.

You're being gracious... :D

Back