Read This Before Posting In "i Need Help"

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
It is essential that, until a fix has been made for battery life that GP2X users use ~2500mah (milli-ampures/hour) Rechargeable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) photo batteries. Using other batteries can cause hanging at the bootup screen, a power-off ingame, and other problems.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TESTED TO SEE THE ISSUE IS NOT THE BATTERIES BEFORE POSTING HERE!

All too many of these posts have been fixed with a simple, "Are you using rechargeables?" or, "Did you switch the batteries?" that something needs to be fixed.

Some good batteries:

Many suggest Ansmann AA Batteries, but they are hard to find in-store.

Energizer Batteries/Chargers are really easy to find in Best Buys and pretty much every electronics store. This unit was very cheap, and works incredibly well...

Likewise... and for that matter, I only have 2 sets of 2500 batteries, and a rather eclectic mix of 1300, 1800, 2000, and 2100 mAh respectively, and they all (weirdly) seem to last a fairly similar ammount of time (i.e. 3-4 hours), though certainly the lower mAh batteries seem to last on the lower end of that. Strange, though... wonder if my charger is working properly lol!

It is not essential to use rechargeable 2500s... I use 2300, but I used to use 1300 and even non-rechargeable Duracells. They all worked.

The point is, don't use crap batteries and your problems will decrease.

The point is that almost every problem people have here is dealing with not knowing that you can't use alkalines and expect more than 1/2 an hour of run time. Newbs need to know this and for some reason, they're missing it.

Problems like:

"PDF viewer crashes gp2x!"
"Video player crashes gp2x!"
"My Xvid video crashes gp2x!"
"Sonic 1 crashes gp2x!"

show up all the time, and are all solved with this, simple answer. We could save a lot of time by just making this sticky.

How about also following this:

READ THE REAME THAT COMES WITH THE EMUATORS BEFORE YOU POST TO THE GP32x FORUMS. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY.

Half the time when someone posts that an emulator does not work they did not even read the readme and follow the directrions.

yeah, rtfm :)

and, when someone DOES have a genuine problem, they need to carefully explain the situation exactly, rather than: "i can't load any games" <_<
, so that others can offer actual helpful advice:

ie:
- what rom (if it's an emu) is being loaded
- which filenames are used
- which directories have been created
- exactly what the user does to run the program
- at what point there is a problem, and what is displayed on screen.
all that kind of thing. I mean, you'd think it would be obvious!

Also to make sure that the user has tried running the latest version of the app - as everything is getting updated a lot round here at the moment, as devs rush round fixing all kinds of things.

this removes the need for all the silly troubleshooting suggestions, like "did you switch it on? ", etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine isn't adverse to the odd bit of boot hang either, and I have only ever used 2500mh NiMh's.

Back