Real Media

BraveBruce

Still Fresh
Hi,

Is there any way to play Real media files on a GP2X? I believe someone mentioned the source code, but I have not heard more about the potential port.

Should there not be a player, how might I convert these files to be compatible with the GP2X?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Hi,

Is there any way to play Real media files on a GP2X? I believe someone mentioned the source code, but I have not heard more about the potential port.

Should there not be a player, how might I convert these files to be compatible with the GP2X?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

You can use SUPER to convert them from RM to Xvid/DiVX AVI: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html.

I'm not aware of any RM player for the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
SUPER? That's just super! :) I'm downloading it now.

Earlier today I discovered that it can also be done with a modified copy of VirtualDub. Here's the link to the tutorial:

http://www.jakeludington.com/dv_hacks/2005...nvert_rmvb.html

So, thanks for the help guys, SUPER looks a little easier to set up than the VirtualDub method.

If you want to watch Anime on your GP2X, you'll find that most downloadable Anime is in .rmvb format. in fact, I have encountered only one other format in use, which is DivX, although I am by no means an expert, so some places may use other formats. The majority that I have seen, however, are RealMedia.

Depends on were you get your anime from, rmvb are in much smaller size, but xvid avi's quality is a lot higher, and they do not need conversion to run on GP2X.
You can also achieve space saving if you re-encoded avi files in lower resolution :)

Aha!

Words of wisdom from Number 33 himself!

Oddly enough, Dr. Divx seems to defy logic. Regardless of the specified resolution, it seems to supply the same file size estimate... :(

Most unusual.

VirtualDub all the way man, although it might seem a little complicated, but trust me, nothing beats it :)

Back