Real World 3D Capabilities

Zotty

Website
www.schijf.org
Was just browsing around when I ran into a OpenGL ES 2.0 game called Bounce Evolution. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JfxdWg0HI&feature=player_embedded

Granted it's for the N900, but since it more or less has the same specs I was utterly amazed at what the Pandora should be capable of :blink: How realistic would the thought be of actually having this kind of performance on the Pandora?

Zotty said:
Was just browsing around when I ran into a OpenGL ES 2.0 game called Bounce Evolution. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JfxdWg0HI&feature=player_embedded

Granted it's for the N900, but since it more or less has the same specs I was utterly amazed at what the Pandora should be capable of :blink: How realistic would the thought be of actually having this kind of performance on the Pandora?

From what I saw of the OpenGL ES 2.0 demos for the Beagleboard I say it's very possible. Not to mention the hardware is essentially the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same hardware, similar everything else.. Whats the game about? Can't view vids..

Yeah I've seen the demos, but actuall playable games is a different story different IMHO.

It isn't so much about the game itself, but more about the looks. Nice 3d landscape, water with reflections, that kind of stuff. 2nd part shows a Wipeout like game. You've got to remember what that looks like ;)

edit: low end....as in it gets even better... Arg now the waiting will seem even longer... LOL

The second part is still the same game. And it doesn't really matter if playable or not. For demos you usually have less processing on the CPU. But check out the N64 emu for example. It already works really good on the graphical side and the CPU is stressed there. But its emulation - imagine what you could do with the CPU if it was native code. You can put half the time into logics and the rest of the time could be used to offload your graphics hardware eventually.

Alpha2: Its quite easy to build a GLES game and once we actually have hardware I think you will find that there is a *lot* of surprising progress in this area. Even some of the most simple GLES 1.1 demo's (WakeBreaker, Jelly Invaders) can be turned into extremely nice-looking graphics apps .. so just be patient. The only thing holding us back is hardware in the hands of users and developers, alike ..

I've seen demos at GDC that look more intensive then this done on the Droid and the Iphone 3GS. The "Pandora-esque" motorola handheld Imagine Technologies had at the table had something the showed like an entire fully rendered city that was really detailed and makes me wet thinking about tapping into that power. People do amazing things under constraint, too much power becomes a self developing bottleneck, and one that no one can appreciate.

Game_over said:
I've seen demos at GDC that look more intensive then this done on the Droid and the Iphone 3GS. The "Pandora-esque" motorola handheld Imagine Technologies had at the table had something the showed like an entire fully rendered city that was really detailed and makes me wet thinking about tapping into that power. People do amazing things under constraint, too much power becomes a self developing bottleneck, and one that no one can appreciate.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Back