Neat Graphics On Sgx

nikkopt

Nothing major, maybe not even thread worthy but since the search function showed nothing, I thought about posting it..
Called "Bounce Evolution" and runs on Nokia N900 (OMAP 3530) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JfxdWg0HI

nikkopt said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JfxdWg0HI
I don't get it.

A couple of moths ago, I started on a small project (codenamed Marble, nothing too fancy) that used exactly the same concept as this game (you are a marble and move around through various levels with puzzles in them requiring maneuver skills) and all of a sudden, games of exactly the same type are starting to appear en masse, as if all the game developers in the world could read my mind... I've had to start my project over a couple of times because I didn't want it to look like I had copied someone. (I've never gotten that far with it the times I've tried but anyways)

Something tells me that I'm jinxed and will have to try to create something entirely different, that isn't ball-related at all.

Anyways, great trailer video; I don't really like the art style or some game mechanics (they could have used the same mechanics if they had done a 3D platformer or an FPS or an RPG or whatever) but I'm sure it'll be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
I don't get it.
It's an unlucky coincidence. Nokia has had an action puzzle game called Bounce installed default on their phones for a long time now. Each phone generation has had an updated version of Bounce. This is just the natural evolution of that game, now that their phones have 3D capabilities.

I'm actually considering the N900. The other option is Samsung i8910 Omnia HD.

QWERTY, Maemo (vs. Symbian S60) and higher resolution (800x480 vs. 640x360) lean me towards Nokia, but the Omnia HD does have a slightly larger screen (3.7" vs. 3.5"), a better camera and 720p video capturing.

Anyway, impressive video.

dflemstr said:
I don't get it.

A couple of moths ago, I started on a small project (codenamed Marble, nothing too fancy) that used exactly the same concept as this game (you are a marble and move around through various levels with puzzles in them requiring maneuver skills) and all of a sudden, games of exactly the same type are starting to appear en masse, as if all the game developers in the world could read my mind... I've had to start my project over a couple of times because I didn't want it to look like I had copied someone. (I've never gotten that far with it the times I've tried but anyways)

Starting something is easy. It's finishing it that's hard ;) And I wouldn't worry about being derivative, 99% of all games are based on something released over 20 years ago - only the presentation has changed :)

That is a cracking looking game though.

dflemstr said:
I don't get it.

A couple of moths ago, I started on a small project (codenamed Marble, nothing too fancy) that used exactly the same concept as this game (you are a marble and move around through various levels with puzzles in them requiring maneuver skills) and all of a sudden, games of exactly the same type are starting to appear en masse, as if all the game developers in the world could read my mind...

Dude... you didn't seriously think that was an original idea when you started a few months back, did you?

Ever since Marble Madness came out in 1984, that idea has been done to death. Surely you've seen at least a few versions of Marble Blast or Super Monkey Ball in the last 10 years?

If you complete your game, you'll want to change the name: There's already a mobile homebrew game named Marble where you maneuver a marble through puzzles. It was released for the DS about a year and a half ago.

As an owner of the i8910, I can tell you that Symbian s60v5 feels very dated. Also, the browser completely sucks. However, it is very stable, has excellent battery, and plays many codecs out of the box. If you want a smartphone, I'd say stay away from i8910. If you want more PMP features, the i8910 honestly wins in the department.

Basically, I would just like a good browser. If I had that, the i8910 would be a solid smartphone.

3vi1 said:
Dude... you didn't seriously think that was an original idea when you started a few months back, did you?
No, of course not. Just that I had found a new approach to the same, ages-old idea.

It's just that many recent games have done almost EXACTLY the things I thought about doing. Heck, I even once wrote an XML level file for a previous version of my game that had a log obstacle like the one in the video demo above: a river, a row of logs a distance away that could be released to form a bridge, and the ball would be able to jump a certain height to overcome small height differences etc. That's just a similarity that springs to mind right now, but there have been too many such small similarities that it makes me wonder.

Oh well, I understand that it's just bad luck, and that I'll have to rethink something fundamental to create a good, new game.

[quote name='dflemstr' date='26 October 2009 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1256574124']
It's just that many recent games have done almost EXACTLY the things I thought about doing. Heck, I even once wrote an XML level file for a previous version of my game that had a log obstacle like the one in the video demo above: a river, a row of logs a distance away that could be released to form a bridge, and the ball would be able to jump a certain height to overcome small height differences etc. That's just a similarity that springs to mind right now, but there have been too many such small similarities that it makes me wonder.
[/quote]
And you thought it was only credit card details worms go after!
You should still try to finish it, be interesting to see....

Phawx said:
As an owner of the i8910, I can tell you that Symbian s60v5 feels very dated. Also, the browser completely sucks. However, it is very stable, has excellent battery, and plays many codecs out of the box. If you want a smartphone, I'd say stay away from i8910. If you want more PMP features, the i8910 honestly wins in the department.

Basically, I would just like a good browser. If I had that, the i8910 would be a solid smartphone.

Thanks for the input. The battery life and PMP features are important for me, but Symbian (or S60) is a real turn-off. I also have a Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200 and have used it to do stuff that smartphones are trying to achieve and have been content with it apart from the obvious lack of power and the somewhat lame battery life (5-6h). Both the Nokia N900 and Samsung Omnia HD have their appeals, but I will need to decide more specifically what I intend to use the device for (besides calls, which reportedly have a bad voice quality on the Omnia HD).

Also, dflemstr, surely you have heard of Switchball? It was a marble puzzle game by a Swedish developer with a physics engine and featuring some aspects that you mention.

Would be interesting to see if there is a way to run this game on the Pandora ! Look like a nice tech demo.
Then again I guess it's probably proprietary software and if you don't own a n900 you wouldn't be able to obtain a legal copy.

We will probably see more and more good commercial games on the omap3, and doing a Pandora port would not be a big deal, but if they will do it is another matter. A lot of the people who fund software studios might be wary of the Pandora because it is an open project.

craigix said:
We will probably see more and more good commercial games on the omap3, and doing a Pandora port would not be a big deal, but if they will do it is another matter. A lot of the people who fund software studios might be wary of the Pandora because it is an open project.

Don't most other OMAP35xx devices out there right now support open development as well?

craigix said:
Hey Craig, did you ever look into purchasing some licences? Remember you started a thread on it once.
Sorry for OT guys

Yes, but most have a large well known company behind them, probably offering some kind of DRM.

I guess it's worth asking if they might do a port though.

craigix said:
Yes, but most have a large well known company behind them, probably offering some kind of DRM.

I guess it's worth asking if they might do a port though.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Oh guys found the article I read on the polish developers who hates DRM etc, was an article in this months Edge (uk mag) with CDProjekt. Well soon to be lasts month, hadn't bought it in years.

marblemadness.png

Back