Recommend Some Standup Comedy To Me

___

Advanced Member
Right now listening to jeremy hotz.
I like Dane Cook, Dave Chapell, Chris Rock, Robin Williams and such... recommend some standup comedians to me please. Should be something I can get in mp3.

southd.jpg

JIMMY!

For any of you that speak dutch, I very much recommend Theo Maassen, he has some excellent shows...

Dane Cook is amazingly, awesomely, screamingly funny. I don't know a single person who can listen to him and almost piss himself laughing. In other words, get everything of Dane Cook's that you can possibly find.

Also, Denis Leary kicks much ass. So does Dana Carvey. They are both incredibly awesome, so much I cannot put into words.

If you don't mind british comedy, try out Lee Evans' XXL Tour.

Have some clips

It's available on Itunes in audio form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Thank you very much everyone. I am going to check them out. I really like listening to english stand-up. For some reason they are just funnier than German acts. I think it`s because it is often a different type of humor. If anyone here listens to German comedy, check out Horst Schroth. He is incredibly funny. Also the "Stenkelfeld" series on NDR which is not exactly standup but really quite funny.

I'd be interested to know a germans opinion on Lee Evans, cos a foreign friend of mine just doesn't 'get' his comedy.

I am going to check lee evans out. I will give you some feedback :D

Mitch Hedberg (Mitch All Together) King of one-liners. It's just a non-stop barrage of amusement. Some examples: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mitch_Hedberg

David Cross (It's Not Funny) Famous for playing Tobias in Arrested Development. His comedy is a bit political and sardonic, but if doesn't go over your head then it's extremely funny.

Bill Hicks is a good start, go for Relentless or Dangerous, the others are good too but not as polished, it was topical at the time but quite dated now.

Jerry Seinfeld did a good show, "I'm telling you for the last Time"

Mitch Hedburg was very good.

Ricky Gervais (The Office) did some funny podcasts.

Daniel Tosh, "True Stories I made Up"

Dane Cook's albums are good, didn't think much of 'Tourgasm' though

Dennis Leary is good if you can't get hold of any Bill Hicks but you don't need both.

Eddie Izzard is better on DVD but still ok, probably best to watch him first though.

Jack Dee is a very funny english comedian, his early stuff is best.

Stand Up America is a good compilation album but I can't find any links to it

Emo Philips, a very strange and funny man

Stephen Lynch, I don't usually like Comedy songs but these are better than most.

Anything by "Monty Python"

Billy Connolly has done loads of work and most of it is good.

Mitch Hedberg may be the king of one liners but that would make Steven Wright the Emperor, check out http://www.weather.net/zarg/ZarPages/stevenWright.html then listen to him deadpan through them

Ed Byrne

Sean Hughes is very droll

Steve Coogan doing Alan Partridge is fantastic

Jeremy Hardy

Paul Merton is good but his dialogue jumps around a lot

Chris Morris, "Blue Jam" very difficult to listen to but very worthwhile

"The Fast Show", if you like catchphrases

"The Secret Policemans Ball" is a good mix of english comedians

There are loads out there, I downloaded loads as most of mine are on tape or vinyl,

there are a few to avoid, Carlos Menacia wasn't much good and others like Douglas Stanhope were ok but you wouldn't want many of them, The Blue Collar Comedy Tours were ok but everyone has their own tastes, just download one of everything and I know it sounds hypocritical but then buy the rest of the albums or go see them live, they have to make some money, it's not like computer games, Comedy is important!

Enjoy

oO woah... okay. Nice list thank you. So far I really liked Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks and Denis Leary. Denis Leary is hilarious OMFG. I almost pissed my pants when he talked about his kids. "pull up your pants"... lol

yeh anything by Emo Philips. He was funny as hell on 8 out of 10 cats on Channel 4 in the uk. Also, try some of billy connelly's older stuff, such as Billy Bites Yer Bum or Hand Picked By Billy. i have that one on dvd and its funny as hell and the songs he sings are class.

lololololol... that guy is hilarious. Awesome. Thanks people. I am almost drowning in stand-up comedy right now.

Back